Today was our first...

we have a big time cacher in our area who hides just jewelery backs covered in cammo tape. one of my hides is a tribute to him and it is just a gallon bag covered in tape. his caches last a long time. I dont like them but it can make for a tough find like a blinky

I've found a couple of these. One was hidden in a crack in a wall and was very hard to find. The other was hidden in the bark of a fallen redwood tree in the middle of the California redwoods with no GPS readings due to the tall tree coverage. Very difficult to find as it was nicely hidden in the shadows of an eroded hole in the tree. I searched forever before expanding the search which lead to my find. read my other adventures at TravelCacher.com

we have a big time cacher in our area who hides just jewelery backs covered in cammo tape. one of my hides is a tribute to him and it is just a gallon bag covered in tape. his caches last a long time. I dont like them but it can make for a tough find like a blinky

Is that the 1/1 i looked for for 45 minutes and couldn't find <_<

...Ziploc bag covered in camo tape. I guess it was dry. <_< Seen one of these before?

I've seen a dozen or so of these hides here in Central Ohio. Surprisingly, they seem to hold up fairly well, as long as they're carefully made to begin with and finders make sure to close them up properly before they rehide them.

Of course, reclosing is an issue with just about any cache, whether it's resealing that freezer bag or making sure something isn't jammed between the lid and the body of an ammo can.

--Larry

Interesting.

Considering many light bags don't hold up well in caches, usually a seam gives way or there are numerous holes in the bags.

Aside from the Freezer Bags, is there a source for heavy duty Ziploc-type bags?

Industrialweight bags come in several thicknesses. Shipping supply houses and tooling supply/storage supply stores also can be the best outlets for thicker and more durable bags and containers.

U-line is one such outlet but there are many others both brick and mortar, snail mail cataloge and web based.

Jeff

The Chicagoan

Interesting.

Considering many light bags don't hold up well in caches, usually a seam gives way or there are numerous holes in the bags.

Aside from the Freezer Bags, is there a source for heavy duty Ziploc-type bags?

Industrialweight bags come in several thicknesses. Shipping supply houses and tooling supply/storage supply stores also can be the best outlets for thicker and more durable bags and containers.

U-line is one such outlet but there are many others both brick and mortar, snail mail cataloge and web based.

Jeff

The Chicagoan

My wife and I found a couple of these out in AZ. The one I remember best had some magnets in the tape and it stayed flush with the box it was on. In fact, the container and surrounding area had been freshly painted so it blended in perfectly. It was really hard to spot as it was only about an eighth of an inch thick when on the box. It seemed to be holding up really well, but it is dry out there. I don't know how moisture would affect the container.

...Ziploc bag covered in camo tape. I guess it was dry. :laughing: Seen one of these before?

sdc11948.th.jpg

Nope. I don't know if we have those in UK (yet).

When I clicked on your pic I also saw this...

horned.jpg

... now that would make a really cool cache container. :anitongue: MrsB

It would make for an interesting "Log" extraction... Pun intended.

No caches were harmed in the posting of this thread.

Oh yeah. While I do like to poke fun at the poster child of lame cache containers, the black & grey film can, when I give my "Crappiest Containers" speech, camo'ed ziplocks are at the top of the list.

I should have been more specific: The ones I've seen in this area are soft, camo'ed, weather-resistant pouches of some sort with ziplock bags inside holding the log sheet and any swag. I can't imagine a ziplock bag, camo'ed or not, surviving in the elements for long all by itself.

--Larry

Is that the 1/1 i looked for for 45 minutes and couldn't find :anitongue:

it has been found since then email me if you want help

I've heard them called "Slim-Bobs". I've only found one, but I've read of them here before and heard about them from friends that have found them. Common in Florida, or so I've heard.

They sure are.

They're popular at trailhead kiosks or wooden fence posts near the kiosks. Usually slipped into a crack between boards.

They aren't the best containers around, but they do seem to last pretty well. Maybe because they're usually in a tight space where not much water can get in there.