stop date change when logging

rsplash40

Not sure if this just me but here's what happens,

1. I click Log your Visit

2. Logging page opens shows August 02 2009 for the date.

3. I click on select log type (pick any)

4. I quickly start typing my log.

5. The screen flashes, everything I've started typing is gone and date now reads 08 02 2009

This has happened on 3 different machines and 2 different browsers (Firefox/Safari), not huge but annoying.

thanks!

5. The screen flashes, everything I've started typing is gone and date now reads 08 02 2009

This has happened on 3 different machines and 2 different browsers (Firefox/Safari), not huge but annoying.

thanks!

It has been pointed out before on some other threads.

Jim

We're aware of the date issue and have scheduled it to be fixed for the next monthly release. Sorry for the annoyance in the meantime.

Edit: Turns out Raine was actually able to hotfix the date change bug, so this is now fixed. Some other basic cosmetic changes were made to the page as well.

Edited by OpinioNate

Logged 4 today using the Log Maximizer script (I've used it for a long time). I get the refresh but any log I have already entered isn't lost.

Seems like the refresh didn't happen after last month's fix but started after this month's (didn't do much last month, couldn't swear to anything...). There was a point somewhere there when some were mentioning the refresh problem and I wasn't noticing it.

I just experienced this weird phenomenon...it isn't fixed.

I am running Firefox, with Greasemonkey and the aforementioned script.

It only happened on the FIRST of three caches I was logging just minutes ago.

This happened fairly close to when Raine told me he had fixed the problem. Before I write up the bug as not fixed I'd like to hear more reports.

Turns out Raine was actually able to hotfix the date change bug, so this is now fixed.
The only fix is that the month doesn't switch from a word to a number. Selecting a new type of log still causes a page refresh, and anything I type during that refresh is lost. It's the refresh itself that breaks up what used to be a smooth workflow.

This happened fairly close to when Raine told me he had fixed the problem. Before I write up the bug as not fixed I'd like to hear more reports.

Is the gigantic "comment box" the result of this fix? Not an improvement.

The page refresh has been there. It changes the layout based on the selection of the dropdown.

-Raine

It hasn't been there that long, and it's annoying until you get use to waiting for it. There are only 2 Types of Logs that change the format of the screen, Needs Archived and Needs Maintenance, unless you check "Add a waypoint to the log". So, why refresh unless it's necessary?

The page refresh has been there. It changes the layout based on the selection of the dropdown.

-Raine

You know/understand the website more than most of us, but many people are showing annoyance at the refresh on log selection. I know we didn't have it before, and perhaps this is tied in to the rest of the system now, but this function is extremely annoying. I have tested it out a bit today and this post is based on those finding.

Yes, in time people will get used to it, but even after two months (give or take) I still select the log type, and click into the text box and get 5 to 6 words, or more at times, before the page refreshes and I get to start all over again. I think that it causes more of a delay when the entire WWW is being used due to a high demand at either a local level or even just high use times accross the surface of the planet due to the day of the week (lag).

Overall, unless this function is actualy needed that badly due to a system requirement, I think that it would be better served to go back to a log page that doesn't refresh unless you are adding a new waypoint.

MYater

I sense that a change just happened; perhaps last night? When selecting "Found It" the month no longer changes to a number. Seems like the ad still cycles, but the delay (if still there) seems shorter so that I cannot change focus to the memo box fast enough. Perhaps the issue is fixed.

Thanks, Raine, for looking at this. It has indeed been a bit annoying.

I logged 27 finds and 2 dnf's from a day of caching on Tuesday August 4 and the flash and date changed happened for every single log for me.

thanks!

Same here..Pick the log type, date, go to type and I am looking at the bottom of the screen. Have to scroll up and re-click into the log entry field. I have dates change too. If your logging quite a few caches after a trip it is very annoying. It never did that in the last few years we have been logging.

Same here..Pick the log type, date, go to type and I am looking at the bottom of the screen. Have to scroll up and re-click into the log entry field. I have dates change too. If your logging quite a few caches after a trip it is very annoying. It never did that in the last few years we have been logging.

This is so annoying. I am in the process of logging all the finds from the Mega event and it completely takes the fun out of it. The number of times I had to retype whole sentences. And the refresh also removes focus from the textbox, so you have to grab the mouse again.

Please avoid the page refresh.

Raine continues to say it has been this way from the beginning, and the refresh is not optional. There is no reason do doubt his claims. I have no idea why people are noticing this behavior more now than before. Having a slow internet connection I am sure does not help the situation.

Edited by OpinioNate

I'm pretty sure this behavior is going to go away at some point. Last month it did go away when they pushed out a bunch of new code, but the "fix" introduced a nasty bug that prevented you from adding coords to a log, or changing the cache coords. Because of that bug they quickly rolled back that part of the new code.

I'll bet they try again this month, hopefully with more testing :D

Raine continues to say it has been this way from the beginning, and the refresh is not optional. There is no reason do doubt his claims. I have no idea why people are noticing this behavior more now than before. Having a slow internet connection I am sure does not help the situation.

I don't ever remember it updating when choosing a log type, but now I notice it all the time. Last night the GC site was slow for a few minutes (was slow on my ISP and a friends with a different high speed ISP), and the refresh thing was horrible.

I'd choose the Found it log type and would think the refresh was done and would have part of my log typed and then the page would refresh. Thankfully, I could hit the back button in Firefox and the log I'd partially typed would be displayed.

The site got up to speed a few minutes later, and the refresh was quicker, but you still have to wait and can't start typing instantly.

Edited by Skippermark

Been logging caches for five years. Never had a problem with the first 2100 logs. Now I do. This is a new problem, no matter what Raine says. :D Or, if it is an old problem, it was never noticeable until some other change exacerbated the situation. Which, to me, is the same thing. It didn't used to was. Now it does.

Been logging caches for five years. Never had a problem with the first 2100 logs. Now I do. This is a new problem, no matter what Raine says. :D Or, if it is an old problem, it was never noticeable until some other change exacerbated the situation. Which, to me, is the same thing. It didn't used to was. Now it does.

Yep. This is certainly my experience as well.

Raine continues to say it has been this way from the beginning, and the refresh is not optional. There is no reason [to] doubt his claims. I have no idea why people are noticing this behavior more now than before.

There are two issues here. The date change (mentioned in the title of this thread) has been here from the beginning. It wasn't noticed before because you would only see it when entering a "Needs Archived" log, when the page refreshed to ask you if you are sure you want to make that log, and maybe in a couple of other obscure cases.

It's being noticed now because of the page refresh that happens every time you select a log type.

And I do doubt Raine's claim that the refresh is not optional, because I just created a Greasemonkey script that makes the refresh only happen when you select the "Update Coordinates" log type. Hopefully Raine can install it, or at least read the source code, and implement the same change in this month's website update. The fix is extremely simple, although I admit I haven't tested it across platforms and browsers.

History

Part of the June 24 website update was:

• Forced "add a waypoint to the log" checkbox when "update coordinates" is selected from the log type dropdown when logging a cache.
  • When adding a waypoint to a log the coordinate entry field will now auto-populate the cache's coordinates.

The 1st change noted above introduced the page refresh when selecting a log type. Basically the page is calling back to the server with the newly selected log type, and the server would serve up the page again. If the new log type is "Update Coordinates" then the "Add a waypoint to the log" box would get enabled automatically and the coordinate input boxes would be shown. For all other log types there was no change to the page, but it would still refresh.

The 2nd change noted above is actually a nice feature, because if you're only changing one or two digits, you don't have to re-type the whole thing.

However, by the next day, there were several posts in the thread noting a] displeasure with the page refresh, and b] that the auto-population of the coordinates was working too well; it would ignore what you typed and change them back after you edited them.

Groundspeak quickly got out a hotfix for the coordinate change bug, allowing changes to actually work again.

It wasn't until the July 28 website update when they finally fixed the refresh problem:

• 11214: No postback when selecting cache log type please - Rolled back change which introduced this bug.

However, it quickly became apparent that this "rollback" also brought back the coordinate change bug.

Shortly after midnight that night, Raine fixed the coordinate change bug. OpinioNate later clarified that "The fix was to simply roll back the new code." In other words, he brought back the refresh. The least of the evils, I guess.

Looking at the past release schedule, I estimate that they'll get out another website update on 8/19 or 8/26, when I'm sure they'll get these two issues to work correctly together. In the meantime, I wanted to see if I could pound out a quick fix with Greasemonkey. It was actually quite easy. Instead of calling back to the server every time a log type is selected, it will now only call back if the newly selected log type is "Update Coordinates." I'm guessing this is how Groundspeak will fix it in a week or two, even though there is a much better way to handle it, without calling back to the server at all.

When Groundspeak fixes the problem, this script should automatically stop doing anything. But just in case, it will alert you to either upgrade the script, or uninstall it.

Edit for clarity.

Edited by Lil Devil

I found something else out when I archived a cache of mine recently. The page refresh also specifically updates on "action" type logs (Disable, Enable and Archive) and hard codes the date to "Today". I believe that's an intentional update. However, I'd suggest that it only force the refresh when it needs to. On "Found It", "Didn't Find It" and "Note" logs, it would be nice to have it not update - which is indeed what used to happen.