garmin trip and waypoint manager

The club is not very develped and most of the roads are no more than trails. I saw where someone made a "map" of their huntclub on google earth but for some reason I cannot do it. I have 2 tracts saved and a bunch of waypoints. I just want to superimpose the tract on google earth. Or the waypoints. I used one of my gps programs to kind of make out a map but if I could superimpose it on google earth it would be much better.

What would this do that whatever it is I have does not. Could I merge tracts or only select part of them? does anyone know how I can simply add several waypoints on google earth?

The club is not very develped and most of the roads are no more than trails. I saw where someone made a "map" of their huntclub on google earth but for some reason I cannot do it. I have 2 tracts saved and a bunch of waypoints. I just want to superimpose the tract on google earth. Or the waypoints. I used one of my gps programs to kind of make out a map but if I could superimpose it on google earth it would be much better.

What would this do that whatever it is I have does not. Could I merge tracts or only select part of them? does anyone know how I can simply add several waypoints on google earth?

Open the track log in trip&waypoint manager/mapsource. On the top menu, select "view" and, under that menu, select view in googleearth. In googleearth, select "view" and, under that menu, select "sidebar". In the sidebar, under "Places", there is a tree that includes "temporary places", "mapsource" and the file that has your tracklog. Right click on the tracklog and select "properties". On the pop-up window, select the "style,color" tab. Under that tab, you can edit the size of the waypoints in the tracklog and the color of the line.

Wow!! You're awesome! I didn't have a clue how to do anything useful with that program!

I did find a program on the web that will do it, I did this one:

3816280708_bab0cc0f38.jpg

I tried to make a clean map by turning the track log off when I was backtracking, but instead I have those long straight lines which I think are connected points when I turned track log back on. I wish I could edit the track. It's still useful though. I am making smaller tracks now, I just save when I am done with that path. I think I can merge them, I can't remember where I saw that ability but one of the programs merges.

I tried to do a search on map making software but all I could find was stuff for navigation units. The area I am in is flat and no roads so that was useless for me.

Edited by gitarmac

I tried to make a clean map by turning the track log off when I was backtracking, but instead I have those long straight lines which I think are connected points when I turned track log back on. I wish I could edit the track.

Yes, you can get rid of the 'straight lines' that connect track segments by duplicating the track log in MapSource and breaking it into sections by deleting segments of it.

If you created three segments while hiking, duplicate the track in MapSource twice so you have three tracks in MapSource. In MapSource, looking at the Track tab, right-click on the track and pick copy, then click in a blank area and click past.

On the first track, right-click and pick Track Properties and delete everything after the end of the first segment. On the second track, delete everything from the first segment and everything you'll use for the third. For the third track, delete everything from the first and second segment.

Tada!

And you can send multiple times to Google Earth! So, if the waypoints aren't saved in the same MapSource files as the track logs, just send the tracklogs to Google Earth then go back to MapSource and load the waypoints and send them to Google Earth...now both the track logs and waypoints will be in your Temporary Places.

crap. I was messing around with mapsource and thought I was doing great, then I did view in google earth and my tracks were there all right, with a million trackpoints.

Now you can turn off the points and just show the trace.

Under Temporary Places, expand MapSource by clicking the +, expand Tracks by clicking the +, then click on the check box in front of Points to uncheck it.

Voila!

I wish I was able to get to this forum yesterday, I have not been able to pull it up till tonight. I've been messing with maps for a few hours now and am fixin' to quit but I'll try that tommorrow.

I tried to delete sections of track but the line just reattaches itself to the next track. It's wierd. I tried to divide it too but it didn't work. I'll try again tommorrow and post some pics of what I am getting.

Still though, what I am able to do is pretty useful. A prettier one might be prettier but a trail in the woods is a trail in the woods. I have waypointed usefull info like tracks and deer crossings but too many waypoints clutters the track.

I wish I was able to get to this forum yesterday, I have not been able to pull it up till tonight. I've been messing with maps for a few hours now and am fixin' to quit but I'll try that tommorrow.

I tried to delete sections of track but the line just reattaches itself to the next track. It's wierd. I tried to divide it too but it didn't work. I'll try again tommorrow and post some pics of what I am getting.

Still though, what I am able to do is pretty useful. A prettier one might be prettier but a trail in the woods is a trail in the woods. I have waypointed usefull info like tracks and deer crossings but too many waypoints clutters the track.

Perhaps a screen shot of the track I split will help:

DuettePreserve.jpg

I started out with one track, with the long straight lines that you're having trouble with. I copy/paste that track as many times as I need to get rid of the lines (depends how many times you turned off your tracks). Then delete large portions of the track from each copy so each copy only contains one segment.

If seeing my screen shot still doesn't make send and you would like me to lend a hand you can e-mail me the track you need split up. info (at) forrestegan (dot) com