TJJSDJ

Hi, I'm new at this (started last year but never really did anything) But I would like to get going strong this year and I could use some pointers. Or if somebody has the time to show me the ropes and live in my general area (near Flint, Michigan, USA) that would be very helpfull.

Thank you,

Todd

I've been doing geocaches for about a month now. A few tips I can offer:

Go find the caches!Even if you can't find it, keep trying. Look in places where you think "you" would hide it so others can't see it. Or even look for the obvious! Sometimes the caches look like they belong. The most important thing is to just go out there and try it.

Depending on how you want to geocache you can always look at the hints provided or read the 'entire' log entries sometimes people put out hints and or pictures that can help you. Starting out this is helpful just to get things rolling. Or just stay at one location without hints until you find it, sometimes this is more fun.

Try for "small" or "regular" caches and a rating of 1/1 (which means easy). I started searching for micros and I never found them until I knew what to look for. I think the small and regular ones are more fun because sometimes they have to be more creative to be hidden especially in an urban area.

Lastly if you go to a location several times and can not come up with it, email the owner of the cache! Sometimes they will provide additional hints to help you find it. They don't always email back but that happens.

Happy Hunting!

Hi, I'm new at this (started last year but never really did anything) But I would like to get going strong this year and I could use some pointers. Or if somebody has the time to show me the ropes and live in my general area (near Flint, Michigan, USA) that would be very helpfull.

You could try posting in the Midwest forum to find other cachers in your area. Attending events is also a good way to meet others.

I signed up as well awhile ago and never found any caches. I did get disappointed and haven't searched since. I exchanged my Storm this past weekend for a Tour and installed cacheberry. I'm hoping to get myself out today and at least try. It's very hard to push yourself after not finding anything. Tried getting my wife into it but because we never found anything, her interest is gone. Now I'm solo. Too bad I can't find someone else locally to go with me but I'm sure they don't want to find the same cache they already found. :anitongue:

I've been geocaching for years and my best advise is---

GO OUT WITH SOMEONE WHO ALREADY GEOCACHES REGULARLY.

Here's how to connect.

For Flint, Mi Here is the the Geocaching organization in your area.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/sechapter/

that can spend a few hours with you to "show you the ropes"

You'll be glad you did!!

It will give you a HUGE jumpstart! (and you'll make a new friend too)

Here's another idea- You have 2 events coming up in your area:

GC1WJK1 - Monthly Meet & Greet - Aug 18th is in Birch Run

GC1W8VM- Meet & Greet in Bush Park Aug 15th Near Fenton, MI?

Everyone that goes to these are there to meet other Geocachers and

it is perfect time to introduce yourself and ask for help.

People will jump to help you!

You can always check event caches in your area through GC.com in the

"advanced search" choose "event caches" and your zip code.

Have fun!