What's your cover?

Most of us have encountered it before, trying to make a find then log and perhaps trade, while muggles abound. Some cache difficulty ratings are boosted because the ever presence of muggles increases the challenge (unless the cacher in question just brazenly goes to the GZ and logs it right in front of onlookers.)

I've had considerable amounts of time chewed up with cache in view, or even in hand trying to place it back, while a group gathers to chat, picnic or sightsee. Often I have a camera and start taking pictures of just about anything with the hope a tourist taking pictures is uninteresting.

I was told 50sumtin would go about in a hardhat and orange vest, perhaps he could take an orange cone with him, too. As a safety inspector he could probably ward off even the most persistent of muggles.

Most of us have encountered it before, trying to make a find then log and perhaps trade, while muggles abound. Some cache difficulty ratings are boosted because the ever presence of muggles increases the challenge (unless the cacher in question just brazenly goes to the GZ and logs it right in front of onlookers.)

I've had considerable amounts of time chewed up with cache in view, or even in hand trying to place it back, while a group gathers to chat, picnic or sightsee. Often I have a camera and start taking pictures of just about anything with the hope a tourist taking pictures is uninteresting.

I was told 50sumtin would go about in a hardhat and orange vest, perhaps he could take an orange cone with him, too. As a safety inspector he could probably ward off even the most persistent of muggles.

I use the cover of darkness, for I am a Ninja!!

unless the cacher in question just brazenly goes to the GZ and logs it right in front of onlookers.

That's exactly what I do. If someone chooses to place his cache in a high traffic area that's his problem, not mine. I'm not in this to play a cloak and dagger game.

That said, one of these caches as never gone missing in days following my visit. That's because I probably attract a lot less attention than someone skulking about the area constantly peeking over his shoulder to see if anybody is looking.

Edited by briansnat

...unless the cacher in question just brazenly goes to the GZ and logs it right in front of onlookers...

Sometimes I just leave. It's not fun to look when being watched.

Sometimes I do the above and make it fast.

One time, inside a mall ground zero took me to a bench. In that case I could sit, and when nobody was looking reach inside a couple of obvious spots for the cache. The cache was out of site but in one of those spots so I thought it was a good cache because you could do the search and not feel exposed.

Most times though I really have to wonder what the heck folks are thinking when they hide them where everyone and their dog can see and wonder.

I've used a couple since I started.

-orange cones in front and behind the truck and a roadguard vest work wonders and wearing a hardhat makes it all the more professional looking-

-I have found that just having a clipboard with you helps a lot-

-My brother and I used the "Geocache Inspector"-

I have been a Telephone Pole Inspector, Ranch Fence Inspector, Photographer, and best of all a -just stopped on the side of the road to make a phone call!

Whatever you use, have a good back story.

unless the cacher in question just brazenly goes to the GZ and logs it right in front of onlookers.

That's exactly what I do. If someone chooses to place his cache in a high traffic area that's his problem, not mine. I'm not in this to play a cloak and dagger game.

That said, one of these caches as never gone missing in days following my visit. That's because I probably attract a lot less attention than someone skulking about the area constantly peeking over his shoulder to see if anybody is looking.

That's exactly what I think. If you go at it purposefully, people will either think you know exactly what you're doing, or that you're simply crazy. If you act suspiciously, people will suspect you of something.

Besides, I don't mind being LTF <_<

I really like the clipboard and safety vest angle, but I often have a preschooler and a baby with me, and in that case, I think the clipboard and vest would make me look reaaally suspiscious. <_<

Most of the time, I just go brazenly to GZ and the few times someone has asked what I'm doing, I just explain geocaching. Everyone I explain it to thinks it's neat, and no cache has ever gone missing afterward.

I'm fairly new but use the iphone/geocaching app. When muggles are about, I just put the phone to my ear and start pacing like I'm deep into a call. People seem to think I'm a freak when walking around a park alone but when I'm on the phone, I'm just a guy on the phone.

I really like the clipboard and safety vest angle, but I often have a preschooler and a baby with me, and in that case, I think the clipboard and vest would make me look reaaally suspiscious. <_<

Most of the time, I just go brazenly to GZ and the few times someone has asked what I'm doing, I just explain geocaching. Everyone I explain it to thinks it's neat, and no cache has ever gone missing afterward.

I prefer a circus clown outfit. Works very well. People just seem to ignore circus clowns. :D

But seriously... I'm adverse to the safety vest/hardhat idea, although I've seen it mentioned here often enough. It just seems to me that if you *should* get questioned by LEOs, that it would be much tougher explaining why you're in that garb than it would to simply explain geocaching.

My dogs are almost always with me, so I just pretend to be playing with them or cleaning up after them.

In the rare cases that my dogs aren't with me, I usually take out my camera and pretend to be a fancy photographer. :D

If I didn't bother to have a cover, I suspect I would get a lot of questions. Teenagers are generally viewed as being up to no good (and that's probably a fairly correct assumption), especially when poking around in trees and under rocks and mumbling to themselves about those darned muggles.... <_<

Being heavily tattooed makes it very difficult to look official anything. Except in winter when I can cover up.

People think i'm up to no good. Very discriminating but it's a truth i've learned to live with.

I do have a woods excursion suit. Drab cargo pants, grey shirt, tan color backpack, camo hat.

I was diggin' around for a cache last week about 6 yards off a busy trail and not a single person saw me in there. :anitongue:

Edited by Count Fartula

Fortunately my husband is pretty tall and the kids are short, so he makes a pretty good human wall. Typically the caches have a bit of cover anyway. We try to avoid lamp post caches, if we do hit one its not durring high traffic times and not on purpose.

If I'm doing Park Caches I wear my Pacific Life Insurance Company polo shirt, as I am inspecting the playground equipment for YOUR childs safety. If Im road side caching I wear the orange safety vest along with a magnetic placard for my car..."Converse Geotechnical Services".

At the very least, always carry a cell phone and a clipboard, and USE it for those phantom conversations!

Very few muggles will approach you when you're on the cell phone. This also works well for the rent-a-cops that are encountered in mall parking lots.

I don't bother trying to hide the fact that I am looking for something. If I am having trouble trying to find it, I know a muggle won't likely find it due to the fact that they don't even know what it is.

However, when I do figure out where it is, I will never allow them to see me remove it, or replace it to it's hiding spot. I'll just pretend like I'm still looking, or come back in a few minutes.

The only exception is a nano on a news box. Since it contains money, the best thing is to just explain what you are doing. A goofy looking guy like me, with muddy boots, poison ivy and briar scratches would appear like they are trying to break into it, or steal the entire thing..

This is really is a good question!

I was at a park during the middle of the day sitting at a picnic table signing log and checking out the swag when the groundskeeping crew parked not 10 feet from where the cache belonged. I couldn't put it back without arousing suspesion. Waited and waited and finally had to take the cache with me. Went home asap and logged that i had to remove the cache temporarily. Went back that night w/flashlight and replaced it... logged that it had been replaced.

Had a security guard ask me what I ws looking for a cache (was on a trail that was around the perimeter of a business). I lied (what?!) and said I lost my cell phone. The guard took down the description of the "lost cellphone" and my name and home number (also fake). Later the CO updated the cache to a more difficult level and left a warning to cache afte business hours. :anitongue:

I like the idea of a city inspector, determining whether or not the location of the cache will be used in the upcoming Mighty Ducks 4 film.... Being that I'm in Minnesota, people really like that one and usually ask if they can be in the film... Then I'm stuck scrounging for a response....

I think a hazmat suit would rule, but getting out of my PT Cruiser might give me away.....

I used the "talking on the cell phone" guise today while looking for a micro at a Park-and-Ride. I only had a couple of minutes and didn't find it, but I didn't feel as awkward wandering around "aimlessly" and poking at things with a cell phone stuck to my head.

When I'm caching along the bike trails and other cyclists ride by, I usually just appear to be taking a break from my bike or getting a drink from my water bottle or whatever.

I've only been at this for a few weeks, so I'm sure I'll learn some more "covers" as I experience new and different hide locations.

I suppose that if we really believed that the cache was placed with the permission of all concerned, then we would just have a sign that said, "I am a Geocacher" or "Geocache Search in Progress" that could be placed near the search area.

But in the real world, I have friends that can get away with taking a clipboard and ensure their invisibility -- but they are very good at looking official in any circumstance. I think it would make me look even more suspicious.

So there are certain areas (former military bases) near I live where even public spots are heavily guarded by private security. I always bring my camera (it helps that there are a lot of great photo locations). In a high traffic urban area, I might use my more inconspicuous pocket pc (Asus A696) than my regular gpsr. If someone asks, I will tell them that I am doing a high-tech treasure hunt and explain a bit about the game.

There are some places, where an old guy or two will always looks suspicious. When my daughter is with me, I can use her as a cover. But she will shrink away if someone is looking at us. If it is in a residential area, I will move on rather quickly. No need to disturb the neighbors. In a more public area . . .

There was one cache placed under a very squeaky lamp post in the middle of a planting area, surrounded by benches, in a park that is probably never empty. Nothing to do but to go in and hope for the best. As one person said to me after I made the find, people can look funny when you do not know what they are doing. But at least in my city, people are probably used to others doing funny things. I am amazed at the things people seem to ignore.

To go back to cover, the Clown idea expressed in another post is a good one. Painting your face as a mime also works, since people want to ignore mimes for obvious reasons. And you might be able to clear out an area if you distributed religious tracts or asked people for spare change, leaving you free to search.

I once knew a deputy sheriff who claimed that he liked to get a private spot at the local river by taking out his pistol and acting a little crazy, but I would not recommend that method for caching. Or most other things.

Edited by Erickson

I've found that a couple of warning shots fired into the air usually clears the area fairly effectively. But that can attract the NRA types who scurry up wanting to know what the caliber is, how it handles, how much I paid... :)

A clipboard works fine and couple that with my age, over 40, I have no problems. I had one of those FASCists (Friendly Agent of Social Control) question me once. The cache printouts that were on my clipboard was my truthful alibi. Confirmed by the find. Outcome could have been different had I DNF'ed. ;)

Hunting on my own, I feel really self conscious. It probably doesn't help that I'm new to this, not so good at finding (yet?), and have only looked for ones in really high traffic areas. One of them I was looking (in the wrong place, it turns out) on an electrical box right across from someone's living room. Not suspicious at all! :blink:

I've noticed it helps to go with friends. Not only is it more fun, but if we're all acting weird, suddenly it's not so bad anymore! :mad:

"Talking" on a cell phone is a good idea, I'll have to try that!

:) I put on a "plastic-construction helmet" and one of those "Hi-vis vests", and folks seem to think I'm a utility-worker or something, and therefore, they pay little or NO attention to me. Works everytime :)

Why do people insist on saying things like this? I've been caching for 5 years now and have yet to see a cacher do that. I wear an orange vest, too... in the woods during bird hunting season. I can explain to the cops why I'm geocaching. It would be a bit tougher trying to explain to them why I'm trying to look like a public official. Probably not against any laws, but bordering on impersonation. Just be yourself and you'll be fine.

There's also this magnetic sign for the side of your vehicle...

MagSign_sm.jpg

The original was done by another gentleman here, I'm sorry but I've forgotten his name. I did this one up for myself, although I've yet to get it actually made.

Haha, that sign is great! I try not to draw too much attention, like I might scout the area and do some trial and errors inconspicuously. One of the hardest ones I had to find without getting caught was one under a lamppost during my local village festival. I couldn't have picked a worse time to try this one.. :wub:

It would be a bit tougher trying to explain to them why I'm trying to look like a public official. Probably not against any laws, but bordering on impersonation.

Impersonation of who? Not only public officials use a hard hat, and vest. Many private repair workers use them also.

As far as I can tell there are no laws against wearing a hardhat, and carrying a clipboard.

If a LEO were to stop you, he just wants to know you are not doing something that will be trouble. Any LEO I've ever known would probably smile and say "great idea" if I explain to them why the outfit.

I haven't use the hard hat and vest that often, but I will tell you it really does work in a high muggle urban environment.

It would be a bit tougher trying to explain to them why I'm trying to look like a public official. Probably not against any laws, but bordering on impersonation.

Impersonation of who? Not only public officials use a hard hat, and vest. Many private repair workers use them also.

As far as I can tell there are no laws against wearing a hardhat, and carrying a clipboard.

If a LEO were to stop you, he just wants to know you are not doing something that will be trouble. Any LEO I've ever known would probably smile and say "great idea" if I explain to them why the outfit.

I haven't use the hard hat and vest that often, but I will tell you it really does work in a high muggle urban environment.

As aI said, you're probably not breaking any laws, but if you're stopped by a cop, its going to be a lot easier to explain geocaching than it is to explain a hardhat, clipboard and construction vest that you have no good reason to wear. They're likely to see it as a disguise (which it, in fact, is) and to take that as a sign to look deeper. Just be yourself!

I'm with you. I saw the post where the poster showed concern over "impersonating" someone. Seriously, you can wear whatever you want and carry whatever you want. The way you dress isn't even close to being the same as impersonating someone.

Some people are afraid to live, it seems.

As aI said, you're probably not breaking any laws, but if you're stopped by a cop, its going to be a lot easier to explain geocaching than it is to explain a hardhat, clipboard and construction vest that you have no good reason to wear. They're likely to see it as a disguise (which it, in fact, is) and to take that as a sign to look deeper. Just be yourself!

First of all I doubt it will be any harder to explain the (legal) disguise, than it will be to explain Geocaching.

If I explained to most of the LEOs I have met or known over the years, why I was wearing the "disguise" they would feel it's as good of a reason as any to wear it. :wub:

I can understand where you are coming from. Somehow,to you it feels like we are trying to impersonate someone official. You feel someone in a hat and vest is somehow official. That's why it works so well.

However, there is nothing official about it, anyone can buy them and wear them. If someone official asks about the outfit, you just explain yourself, and you shouldn't have any trouble.

I'm with you. I saw the post where the poster showed concern over "impersonating" someone. Seriously, you can wear whatever you want and carry whatever you want. The way you dress isn't even close to being the same as impersonating someone.

Some people are afraid to live, it seems.

<yawn!> :wub:

First of all I doubt it will be any harder to explain the (legal) disguise, than it will be to explain Geocaching.

If I explained to most of the LEOs I have met or known over the years, why I was wearing the "disguise" they would feel it's as good of a reason as any to wear it. :wub:

I can understand where you are coming from. Somehow,to you it feels like we are trying to impersonate someone official. You feel someone in a hat and vest is somehow official. That's why it works so well.

However, there is nothing official about it, anyone can buy them and wear them. If someone official asks about the outfit, you just explain yourself, and you shouldn't have any trouble.

As to your first point, you may be right about that, but why bother? Why do something that adds to the confusion that already must exist if you're in the situation of being questioned by the law?

As to the part that I bolded:

So, you're wearing that getup simply for safety reasons? You have no intent to look official?

Sure they're legal, and absolutely... you have every right in the world to wear a getup like that. Wear a gorilla suit if it makes you happy.

But seriously... I'm adverse to the safety vest/hardhat idea, although I've seen it mentioned here often enough. It just seems to me that if you *should* get questioned by LEOs, that it would be much tougher explaining why you're in that garb than it would to simply explain geocaching.

I agree. We try not to draw attention to ourselves by being noisy or whatever, but we also don't go out of our way to be sneaky either and just go about searching as if we belong.

Just yesterday, my son and I and a friend passed a small family at a park and then went into the woods to look for a cache. A minute later, the family enters the woods, and the guy asks if we lost something.

I said, "No, we're just doing a scavenger hunt..." His wife said, "Oh, is that the game where if you take something, you leave something." "That's the one," I replied. Then they said have fun and walked off.

For me and my personality, that approach works best.

One of the funniest things was when we were caching in Boston with some friends, and there was a cache on an old naval mine (it was a monument type thing) in Boston Commons. It was really cool, and we were all looking it over after we found the cache.

A lady walked past and asked, "What's that." Without much explanation, my friend replied, "It's a mine." She looked at him a little confused and walked off.

So, you're wearing that getup simply for safety reasons? You have no intent to look official?

Wrong on both counts. Obviously, I'm not wearing it for safety reason.

However, I am also not wearing it to look "official". I am wearing so any bystanders will just ignore me, and I can look without attracting attention.

I think you are getting hung up on the official part of this. There is no official part of it. A hardhat, and vest does not make anyone "official". But it does seem to ease the minds of those who may see you looking around a high muggle area.

In all the caches I have found, I have only used this on maybe three of them. However, when you are a 61 year old male, looking for a cache in the corner of a park where there are kids playing, the looks you can get from the mothers, (and fathers) can be very uncomfortable. Put on a hardhat and vest, grab your clipboard and they pay you no mind at all.

As for problems explaining any of this to the police. You must have had different experiences with the local law than I have. There are police that are hard nose and will give you trouble no matter what you do. But in my world they are rare. I've never had a problem explaining what I was doing to the LEO, as long as what I was doing was legal.

Wrong on both counts. Obviously, I'm not wearing it for safety reason.

However, I am also not wearing it to look "official". I am wearing so any bystanders will just ignore me, and I can look without attracting attention.

I think you are getting hung up on the official part of this. There is no official part of it. A hardhat, and vest does not make anyone "official". But it does seem to ease the minds of those who may see you looking around a high muggle area.

It eases their minds because they think you look official. They (at least so the thought goes) won't pay attention to you because they think you belong there. That's "looking official", to them.

In all the caches I have found, I have only used this on maybe three of them. However, when you are a 61 year old male, looking for a cache in the corner of a park where there are kids playing, the looks you can get from the mothers, (and fathers) can be very uncomfortable.

Again, if you DO become suspect and the police are called, be prepared to explain why you, a 61 year old male, are in disguise, hanging around a place where kids are playing.

As for problems explaining any of this to the police. You must have had different experiences with the local law than I have. There are police that are hard nose and will give you trouble no matter what you do. But in my world they are rare. I've never had a problem explaining what I was doing to the LEO, as long as what I was doing was legal.

I have never, in my five years of caching, had to explain my presence to the police.

Hey... as I've said, wear what you want to wear, I don't care. I'm simply giving my thoughts.

I now usually wear a blaze orange vest when caching in woods where hunters might be. In Alabama that's 10' from the road 24/7/365, hunting laws not meaning much to some in these parts. My crutch was hit and I was knocked to the ground when a hunter shot at me the first year I cached. And a group of us was chased out of the woods by a local cop for not having orange on during hunting season in PA a few years back after an event.

Normally, however, I just go about my geocaching.

At GeoWoodstock in Florida a group of us went after a Tupperware container that was Velcroed under a bench in front of a Wal-Mart's door. Two muggle women were sitting on the bench. Our group hung out nearby contemplating what to do. After a few minutes when it was obvious they weren't leaving I walked over, said "Pardon me ladies, I need to get something out from under you" and reached under their butts for the cache! Didn't phase them. Once I had the cache the group came to sign it and while doing so explained the game to the women, who thought it was a hoot.

That same night we found one that is up the arse-end of a carousel horse, again outside the doors of a Wal-Mart. When our group encircled the ride and began to search it I knew that we would attract attention, ten or so adults, one of whom was lying on the sidewalk reaching up a horse's butt was bound to attract something, so I kept an eye on the door. Sure enough in a few minutes comes the store manager. Turns out that this is the only Wally-Whirled cache that I know of which has explicit permission, the manager likes to watch cachers hunt it!

When caching with another group one night in north Alabama we came upon a cache on a pay phone kiosk where this ole boy was talking on the phone. We waited a while but he kept on talking. "I paid my share of that trailer too, and them beers in the fridge is mine, you can't kick me out!" or something like that. So I casually sauntered up to the phone, thinking he'd get off and go find a beer to cry into if he saw another customer waiting, but the dude was focused on that phone call. He turned his back to me, I snagged the cache and took it back for the group to sign. Replaced the cache and that ole boy was still nattering away, never saw me get that cache literally under his nose.

There is a seriously hard-to-find nano in a city near me, a black nano container on a black ornamental iron fence around a large public fountain. It's tough to find on its own, but the local homeless have adopted it... whenever they see you replace it they will move it somewhere else on the fence, then offer to show it to the next frustrated cacher for a dollar! It's been there for years, no problems.

And, I am a cop magnet. I'm a 6'4" one-legged old fat man on crutches who usually caches at night in the summer. Plus I mostly cache with friends. Sorry, stealth caching is not an option! I think 50 would be a good approximation of how many times I have been checked out by police when caching, sometimes in some pretty weird places at 3 in the morning!

In all cases, muggles or cops, I not only explain the game I give them a link to geocaching.com, my email address and phone number, and tell them if they want to get started playing the game to call me and I will help them out!

As Briansnat posted above, to my knowledge no cache has ever been muggled after I revealed it to muggles. With very few exceptions people are curious, not destructive. Mostly when I explain the game at about the thirty-second mark their eyes roll and they start looking for a polite way to end the conversation and move on!

As Briansnat posted above, to my knowledge no cache has ever been muggled after I revealed it to muggles. With very few exceptions people are curious, not destructive.

I would imagine that a cache would more likely go missing if you don't tell them about it. If they see you, most people are going to come over and check it out after you leave, and if they have kids, they might be more apt to see "toys" and think they struck the jackpot.

If someone asks and you quickly explain that it's a game where, if you take something, you need to leave something, they'll understand and either think it's cool or you're whacky, but at least they'll know a little about it.