So I hide a cache...

OKH

and to make it more I guess attractive to cachers, I placed three coins in it to start them on their way. The FTF took all three coins to move along. Now, at the end of the day, I really don't care and I'm glad the FTF had fun finding the cache, but is it proper etiquette to not leave something for the next cacher?

I would agree with you, if we're talking about swag.

But as Joni pointed out, travellers aren't swag, so it is perfectly all right to take them and leave nothing in their place.

I hate TB Hotels, where the owner places some stupid "trading rule" such like three travellers in at all times.

Most of the times the coins are taken, as they fit into small caches and have nice icons. TBs stay behind.

When I check out of a hotel, I don't have to present the hotel manager with a new guest, do I?

A TB hotel is just a big enough box to take some travellers, nothing more. Especially not a prison for TBs.

So, even if it might be upsetting, that one took all and left nothing in their place, that's perfectly all right.

The owners of the coins and TBs will thank him for moving them!

Oh, I understand completely the concept of trackables - I was questioning the practice of taking ALL the trackables in a cache and leaving none for the next person. It's really no big deal, I was just wondering.

While I understand where you're coming from, the idea of only taking one trackable threatens to turn your cache into what's called a "TB prison" (and it applies to coins, too).

Of course, if they're your trackables, that's another story. One thing you might want to try doing is, say, putting your trackables in a little baggie or box with a note taped securely to it with clear tape that says: "All of these trackables belong to OKH, who would like each one to travel with a different cacher. If you're willing to help one move (thank you!), please only take one." There's no guarantee that the cacher will only take one, but at least you're being clear that a ) it's not a TB prison and that b ) the travelers collectively have a mission to each go with a different person.

Edited by Jackalgirl

'Tis a bit greedy to take ALL the trackables out of a brand new cache. If the FTF race in your area is anything like it is here there will be almost half a dozen cachers visiting the cache in the first day or two. There is no fear the bugs/coins won't get picked up. So for the FTFer to take them all, while legal, is still rude.

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree. To take all of the trackables out of a cache (or even a single one) and not place it in another cache is rude. To take all of the trackables out is, IMO, perfectly acceptable -- once can't know for sure that the cache will be regularly visited, or even that it won't be muggled.

Besides, if it's a sizeable and popular cache, trackables will be going into it without fail. So it's not like it's going to remain empty.

While I can see Jackalgirl's point, for my own personal philosophy, I follow Droo's rule. If there are multiple coins in a brand new cache, I will usually just choose one and leave the other coins for other seekers.

For a cache that has been sitting for a while though, I'll clean that sucker out! :laughing:

While I might consider it slightly rude for someone else to not follow my personal philosophy, I wouldn't get that bent out of shape over it. Because everyone has their own style of playing, as is easily illustrated by this thread. ;)

My opinion.....

I HATE IT :laughing:

Many caches state TRADE FAIR, we know this goes for Swag mainly but we apply it to Coins and TB's as well.

I do also agree with anne.and.eli;

For a cache that has been sitting for a while though, I'll clean that sucker out!

Well maybe not clean it out but help many of the stranded TRAVELERS along anyway.....

Just my two%20cents%20logo.jpg

My opinion.....

I HATE IT :laughing:

Many caches state TRADE FAIR, we know this goes for Swag mainly but we apply it to Coins and TB's as well.

Coins and TBs aren't swag. If you can help it move, you should. I don't carry bugs and coins around with me, but if I see one that I can help on its mission it would be rude to leave it there because I don't have a bug or coin to exchange it with.

While I think it is not exactly "Wrong" to take all of the coins like that, I generally think it is better to share the wealth and only take one, unless it is clear that it is a cache that is unlikely to be found again soon.

I do think though it might be worthwhile to contact that cacher. They may have just not really thought about it. I had a similar thing happen recently, I sent a very nice polite email. It was along the lines of "Just a thought . . " They actually took a couple of coins back, but not something I had asked them to do.

Ultimately not worth sweating. . .

My thoughts . . .

The reason we put coins and TB out is so they can travel. We hope that our coins/TB get picked up by the next cacher in every cache they get put in (and worry when people don't pick them up - did someone grab them and not log them). We can't pass up a cache with a coin or TB in it. Keep them moving, thats why we released them.