GPSr ratings..

mchaos

I had taken a break from caching over the winter, and when I got back into it I found that there was a new GPSr ratting system, or perhaps it was there all along and I just never saw it but I don't think so.

Any way, I have a Magellan Triton 400. It was given to me as a gift for xmas. I really Like it. I think it works well. Accuracy for me is great.

There are some things not so top notch but all in all its awesome. The small buttons are a pain, but once you get used to them, you don't even think about them, and VP takes a little time to load caches, but I live VP. Its a good software from what I have seen out there. I just hit sync and get my gear together, but normally its only sync'd once in a blue moon.

Any way, I wanted to see what other people thought of the unit. I wanted to see the negative comments about it. Most were about the small buttons, and VP being slow loading caches.

On in particular bothered me, and there were quite a few that were similar. The person had written that the unit would not stay connected to satellites, batteries didn't last, and when it did work it was like 60 feet off always. He also said it glitched all the time.

I would be really mad too BUT, he also said magellan wouldn't fix it, and that he recommended to not buy a unit form any unautherized dealers.

Obviously he got it off ebay or on the net some where off some shady site. So the problems he was having was not because the Triton sux, but because he made a bad choice trying to save a buck and got a beat unit. There was no reason to rate it badly.

I know stuff like this happens, but be a little fair huh? I am sure it wouldn't matter what unit you buy, if its a beat unit from some one shady person, you would have the same trouble.

Umm,, what "new GPSr rating system" do you refer too?

The Magellan can be a fine unit with plenty of nice features. As long as it doesn't get any glitches or bugs you should be fine with it. Magellan is unfortunately prone to poor customer service, but as long as you don't need any you'll be fine :D

I had taken a break from caching over the winter, and when I got back into it I found that there was a new GPSr ratting system, or perhaps it was there all along and I just never saw it but I don't think so.

Any way, I have a Magellan Triton 400. It was given to me as a gift for xmas. I really Like it. I think it works well. Accuracy for me is great.

There are some things not so top notch but all in all its awesome. The small buttons are a pain, but once you get used to them, you don't even think about them, and VP takes a little time to load caches, but I live VP. Its a good software from what I have seen out there. I just hit sync and get my gear together, but normally its only sync'd once in a blue moon.

Any way, I wanted to see what other people thought of the unit. I wanted to see the negative comments about it. Most were about the small buttons, and VP being slow loading caches.

On in particular bothered me, and there were quite a few that were similar. The person had written that the unit would not stay connected to satellites, batteries didn't last, and when it did work it was like 60 feet off always. He also said it glitched all the time.

I would be really mad too BUT, he also said magellan wouldn't fix it, and that he recommended to not buy a unit form any unautherized dealers.

Obviously he got it off ebay or on the net some where off some shady site. So the problems he was having was not because the Triton sux, but because he made a bad choice trying to save a buck and got a beat unit. There was no reason to rate it badly.

I know stuff like this happens, but be a little fair huh? I am sure it wouldn't matter what unit you buy, if its a beat unit from some one shady person, you would have the same trouble.

Well that's where the grain of salt comes in. When you finally reach the bottom line, salt generously to balance it out.