Destroyed, Reset, What To Do?

AstroDav

I located the EJ0981 benchmark right where it was suppose to be. It's a reset of the EJ0980 one which once was attached to a concrete headwall on a culvert here. I don't see anywhere where the latter (original) one was marked as removed, moved, destroyed, or anything like that....but it is gone from the culvert.

The former (reset) one is out in the weeds with the chicks & tiggers. I know to log that one as "Found", but what should be the entry for the other...."Destroyed"? It's gone, that's for sure. The only hint given with the current one about the missing ones fate is the words "H 159 Reset 1960".

I'm going to go ahead & log the one that is there, but wait on input from those more in the know before doing anything with the nonexistent original. Thanks.

The following images show the reset bench mark, about where the original was, & about where the new one is out there in the weeds.

ej09802w.jpg

ej09803.jpg

Edited by astrodav

A mark that you can't find nor prove was actually destroyed should simply be logged as Not Found, with a description of what you saw in the place you expected it to be. Sometimes the mark gets covered up or its location was mis-described so people are looking in the wrong place, so it is not safe to assume it was destroyed.

The existence of a Reset is a strong indication the original was likely to be destroyed, but not proof of destruction. There are known examples of the original and a reset both surviving.

Agreeing here with Bill; my log would describe what I found at the location: is the culvert the same size and the road the same width as in the original description? Presuming there isn't one on this side, I'd also check the culvert on the opposite side of the road to see if the DOT put a mark on it on that side if they replaced the culvert, which might give you a date for the change. If the culvert currently there is the same size as described in 1935 (21x7 double box) I would also take a photo of what I found 1.1 feet north of the south end where the original mark was described as being located. Finally, I'd cross reference the PID for the reset.

I think it would be safe to assume that the reset was created because the original was destroyed, covered up by a road project, or otherwise destroyed. The original would not have been logged as destroyed because it was not found "out of it's setting. Isn't that what resets are about?

The original bench mark has to still exist when the reset is placed, and the difference in elevation is measured as part of the NGS procedures for a valid reset. The reset would usually be placed because of plans to destroy the original in the process of rebuilding a road, bridge, etc. If this occurs, it is an unusually conscientious surveyor who takes the time (not budgeted) to chip out the old disk or photograph its destruction and report it. So most times the original is gone, but once in a while it is still there under a layer of asphalt or soil and is later uncovered.