Placing Geo coins

wor!dw!de

I would like to start trading coins...trade a coin for a coin in a cache..so my question is, Do I activate my coin first then trade with another coin in a cache? And if I do this and the other coin is not activated, do I simply activate it and trade it at my next cache?

What I would like to do is just trade and track coins now and maybe collect a few later..

thanks

If you activate a coin and put it in a cache it's considered a travel bug. Unless, you say in the coins tracking page "keep me I'm yours!".

You can trade a coin you own for a coin someone else owns if you arrange that with the coins owner. That generally won't happen in a cache.

I'm really not sure what you are asking. You can watch any coin you find and track where it goes without owning it.

If you activate a coin and put it in a cache it's considered a travel bug. Unless, you say in the coins tracking page "keep me I'm yours!".

You can trade a coin you own for a coin someone else owns if you arrange that with the coins owner. That generally won't happen in a cache.

I'm really not sure what you are asking. You can watch any coin you find and track where it goes without owning it.

ok, I guess I need to read up on geo coins. I thought or would like to trade coins thats are in a cache..meaning I take one and leave one but keep placing them in other caches, I don't plan on keeping them after a trade except to relocate to a new cache.

So to limit my confusion...Can I trade a coin for a coin and keep it traveling to new caches? Or do I just place a coin and watch it on my trackable list.

thanks RK

You can move as many coins as you would like...for activated coins in caches, it is not required to 'trade.' you pick up the coin, move to the next cache you find suitable.

For a coin that you own, you would activate it and place it in a cache...then hopefully watch as others move your coin around the world.

The confusion comes from the 'trade' that you mention. Some people trade unactivated coins for their own private collections...these private collections never see a cache and are usually traded online between members of geocaching.

What you speak of sounds like 'swapping'...you drop a coin in a cache, and you take a coin from the cache...then repeat everytime you find a coin...which is acceptable, but again it is not required to drop a coin when you pick one up. Just make sure you keep them moving, they belong to someone else afterall.

You can trade a coin (either one of yours or one in your inventory) for another persons coin. However it's not required. If you take another's coin and can help it on it's journey, that's fine. JUST DO NOT KEEP IT FOR YOUR PERSONAL COLLECTION! Like Renegade said, coins are like TB's. They are meant to move. Help the coins, and TB's, on thier journey when you can. Otherwise just leave them for the next person.

ok, I guess I need to read up on geo coins. I thought or would like to trade coins thats are in a cache..meaning I take one and leave one but keep placing them in other caches, I don't plan on keeping them after a trade except to relocate to a new cache.

So to limit my confusion...Can I trade a coin for a coin and keep it traveling to new caches? Or do I just place a coin and watch it on my trackable list.

thanks RK

Yes, you can drop your own trackables when you take a traveler from a Cache. You could also just grab what's in there(travelers) and move them along. I think the confusion comes from using the word TRADE. That is generaly used to note something that you will be keeping. it is not acceptable to take an activated traveler from a cache and then keep it. is doesn't sound like that's your plan. if you take a traveler to move it along, it's not required for you to leave one in it's place. these trackables/travelers are not the same as regular trade items.

Welcome to the game!!

You can move as many coins as you would like...for activated coins in caches, it is not required to 'trade.' you pick up the coin, move to the next cache you find suitable.

For a coin that you own, you would activate it and place it in a cache...then hopefully watch as others move your coin around the world.

The confusion comes from the 'trade' that you mention. Some people trade unactivated coins for their own private collections...these private collections never see a cache and are usually traded online between members of geocaching.

What you speak of sounds like 'swapping'...you drop a coin in a cache, and you take a coin from the cache...then repeat everytime you find a coin...which is acceptable, but again it is not required to drop a coin when you pick one up. Just make sure you keep them moving, they belong to someone else afterall.

I must have been confused on the...take something then leave something of equal or greater value...Yes, I can just take a coin and move it along without leaving one and then log it on the trackable section.

I think I'm more clear now.....thank you all

I must have been confused on the...take something then leave something of equal or greater value...Yes, I can just take a coin and move it along without leaving one and then log it on the trackable section.

Take something leave something is all about cache swag. A travel bug or geocoin that has been activated so you can track it's travels is another thing. Like others have said. Something meant to travel you don't need to trade for. Just take it and help it travel. That's enough.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Take something leave something is all about cache swag. A travel bug or geocoin that has been activated so you can track it's travels is another thing. Like others have said. Something meant to travel you don't need to trade for. Just take it and help it travel. That's enough.

yes, I'm clear now....Next post will be about activating the coins and trackables that I have purchased. I just want to sprinkle coins and other trackables in caches and then all other items, Stuff We All Get (SWAG) I'll trade and keep, but with items of equal or higher value...unless noted otherwise in a cache.

I will be headed to a couple of countries in Asia soon and just wanted to make sure I was doing the coin thing correctly, which I'll just remember to take as needed anything with a number, log it, and all else is SWAG.

Thanks again

Please click on the Trackable Items tab on any Geocaching.com page (it's the one right above the Forums tab) and you'll see links to a handful of Geocoin pages with hordes of good info on what a geocoin is and how it works. Also at the top of the Geocoin Discussion Forums are a couple of pinned threads with encyclopedic lists of links with more info than you can handle. Happy reading.

Ok, I've been reading this and other threads. Activate Travel Bugs and Geo coins that you own, unless you intend to collect/trade geocoins, but leave a FTF coin unactivted for the FTF person to activate. Did I read it right or am I still confused?

Ok, I've been reading this and other threads. Activate Travel Bugs and Geo coins that you own, unless you intend to collect/trade geocoins, but leave a FTF coin unactivted for the FTF person to activate. Did I read it right or am I still confused?

That's right.

If you intend to gift a coin to someone, say the FTF, then you should leave it to that person to activate it.

If you activate first, then it is "yours". It's in your inventory and you would need to go through the adoption process to give it to someone else.

B.

That's right.

If you intend to gift a coin to someone, say the FTF, then you should leave it to that person to activate it.

If you activate first, then it is "yours". It's in your inventory and you would need to go through the adoption process to give it to someone else.

B.

+1

It's not a gift if you own it. :)

That's right.

B.

Understood I intended it as a gift for the FTF. I left it in the original packaging along with the activation card so that person could activate it. Thank you. I'll be on the look out for a FTF of my own.

Edited by KB3MKK