Is the cedar the unofficial tree of geocaching?

Really there's not much to the observation, namely this:

I'm in Texas, so this may be different in your area, but out of 43 caches I've found, I swear around 28 of them must have been found in cedars. I don't even see that many cedars in Texas, but every time I go caching, I find them holding my caches.

Anybody else seem to find this? Is the cedar the unofficial tree of geocaching? Or is it perhaps Official?

Just some silliness. :-)

chrisrayn

Might be the humble Juniper around here.

Upright%20Juniper.jpg

I think there is a bit of group-think going on when people hide caches. In this area (and others, I'm sure) most(85%) of the caches are placed by 2 or 3 people. New cachers will find those caches and will start try to emulate those caches. I think that's part of why you tend to get lots of one kind of style in one area but not so much in other areas.

In central Jersey, our tree is the Lamp Post; in North Jersey, it's the Dead Tree; in South Jersey, it's the Barren Pine. :D

Pine, in New Jersey. Definitely pine. Whether it's a cedar, yew, hemlock or other evergreen, the CO always says it's a pine.

We get that here in eastern Washington as well. It's always a pine tree. It could be a spruce, cedar or pretty much anything, but it's identified as a pine. There was one guy that inadvertently identified an actual pine as a fir, though. It was very obvious that he wasn't from around here. :D

In southern Oklahoma it's eastern red cedar. However, this tree species is invasive and geocachers placing geocaches near cedars are inadvertantly becoming enemies of our environment (a very unique one, by the way. It's an eco-tone). The cedars/junipers take way more than their fair share of water, and they also disrupt native wildlife nesting habits.

This made me giggle... one of our first 5 caches was in some guy's yard, and it was a micro in a cedar lol. My husband looked by himself for 45 minutes at this tree before he gave up. We found it when we came back as a family. Nice guy though, he talked to my hubby for a bit on the first run. :D

Of the ones I have found, there have been a lot of maple trees... and a burning bush! OUCH!

Yep here too there are far too many caches in the super itchy juniper bushes!!!

Ouch itch ouch itch scratch...

Here too :D Especially during the springtime... I started caching right at the beginning of, what is to me an intolerable allergy season. Turned out that a high percentage of the caches I was searching in Santa Fe were hidden in Juniper bushes... Clouds of pollen... Boxes of tissues used... Much misery.