new Oregon software version 3.12 Beta

allory

The unit crashes as soon as I try to look at the map. I switched back to 3.10 and didn´t try to remove maps or do any changes in my configuration. Would be interesting to see what improvements has been done to the GPS receiver. Would be nice if there also where some improvements to the picture viewer so that the pictures where searchable. I like to have my spoiler images on the unit.

Just found a problem.

If I go into Waypoint Manager and select a waypoint, there is no X button in the bottom left corner to return to the main screen. Have to power cycle.

I saw that the button was missing there too, but rather than power cycle, I selected "View Map", then hit the big green "Go" button. From there I could easily use "Where To" -> "Stop Navigation" to get out cleanly. Yeah, extra steps, but at least it was a clean exit and not a hard power down while still in the waypoint I had just created...

If you do a search here on the forum you will find a lot of articles discussing if waas is good ore not. Conclusion: If you are not in a plane, you do not need waas/egnos.

IF you read all about waas, you will see that it is primary made for making GPS more accurate for airplane.

All Nüvi do have waas/egnos, but Garmin has selected to not show any information about it, since you get all this long discussion if it work or not, or if you need it or not.

You do not need it...

Taken from Wiki

WAAS is intended to enable aircraft to rely on GPS for all phases of flight, including precision approaches to any airport within its coverage area.

Edited by jotne

If you do a search here on the forum you will find a lot of articles discussing if waas is good ore not. Conclusion: If you are not in a plane, you do not need waas/egnos.

IF you read all about waas, you will see that it is primary made for making GPS more accurate for airplane.

All Nüvi do have waas/egnos, but Garmin has selected to not show any information about it, since you get all this long discussion if it work or not, or if you need it or not.

You do not need it...

Taken from Wiki

WAAS is intended to enable aircraft to rely on GPS for all phases of flight, including precision approaches to any airport within its coverage area.

So what your telling me is that I don't need WAAS to increase the accuracy of the parallel swathing on my lime spreader? It's not an airplane.

I do not say that we do not need it, but take in care that you need to have free view to the south and that its hard to get fix to waas bird and the more to the north you are, and that it give use so little more accurance, I do not care about it.

If I need more accurate measure for a cache, I do use averaging of 50 points.

I have been using my 550T for about a week for auto routing and caching. So far it ROCKS except for one thing. I cannot transfer my waypoints from the 550 to my PC using Mapsource. It tranfers tracks fine but not waypoints. It did this with the original software and the new 3.12 beta. HELP!

I have been using my 550T for about a week for auto routing and caching. So far it ROCKS except for one thing. I cannot transfer my waypoints from the 550 to my PC using Mapsource. It tranfers tracks fine but not waypoints. It did this with the original software and the new 3.12 beta. HELP!

Do you have the 550 in Mass Storage mode? I seem to recall a similar issue with my 300.

3.12 is not for the 550t so I'm guessing you are still running 2.10 on the 550t.

I don't think Mapsource has support for the 550t and transferring waypoints automatically, you'll need to either import the gpx files from \Garmin\GPX directly or use BaseCamp.

3.12 is not for the 550t so I'm guessing you are still running 2.10 on the 550t.

I don't think Mapsource has support for the 550t and transferring waypoints automatically, you'll need to either import the gpx files from \Garmin\GPX directly or use BaseCamp.

I got brain dead there for a few. I got my 400t and my 550T mixed up. I am running 2.10 with 3.40 software on the 550. Thanks for lining me out.

I've noticed multiple map page crashes with this release. They seem to be somewhat random but I noticed this morning it happened twice when the compass was on auto (and probably not calibrated) and the tracklog frequency was up at every 3 seconds. I turned off the compass and it went away so I'm assuming it might be related to that.

I see a few other reports of crashes earlier in this thread -- is any one else seeing them? Can you correlate them to uncalibrated compass use or high tracklog frequency (or both)?

My crashes are related to the topo maps only - Garmin Discoverer.

CityNavigator and MetroGuide are fine.

I have reloaded separate image files for all my mapping software and the problem is not there.

Is it related to 'raster' maps in the Discoverer?? [i'm not sure if raster is the correct word]

I see a few other reports of crashes earlier in this thread -- is any one else seeing them? Can you correlate them to uncalibrated compass use or high tracklog frequency (or both)?

============================================================

No, my crashes are mostly routing to a waypoint or a poi, even a waypoint/poi nearby 1/2 mile,

it searches and then it goes off, when I push on again the gps comes with a message;

This route does not

match the available maps

It will not follow the

road precisely. Do you

want to recalculate

the route?

Then it recalculates and most of the time it makes a route, sometimes it crashes leaving a part of the made route in the current.gpx, after a couple of times there are a couple of broken routes in the current.gpx making it corrupted. Also if I do nothing the gps just goes randomly off and sometimes in the on cycle the backlight goes 50% and there's no way I can adjust this, only after a couple of powercycles the light is ok again.

I tried with and without Sd inside, without the Sd the gps has only a basemap but then it shuts off randomly.

To go back to 3.10 you can download the *** Oregon_WebUpdater__310.gcd rename it to gupdate.gcd and put it in de GPS\Garmin folder, in the powercycle the gps will detect software and install the (new) old version.

I did not use the compass or the Topomap, I did not go for a trip therefore not tracklog.

Unless you really want to (beta)test I think you better don't install this version

***http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions

I have done some more detailed testing on the compass issue over the weekend. Here is a fun observation I've made. I have an Oregon 400t, the compass is set to "Auto" and the system is set to "WAAS". When the unit has been off several hours and is then turned on, the compass will point "SE" no matter what direction I am facing (when standing still). After a variable amount of time, usually 90 seconds, but I've seen as high as 270 seconds, and as short as 10 seconds, the compass will become responsive and point in the proper direction. Next, I go to "Setup" -> "System" and change the system from "WAAS" to "Normal" and the compass will once again point "SE" and remain unresponsive again (usually for about 90 seconds again). Once it resumes responding, I go back and re-enable WAAS and repeat the whole process again. I drove about 20 minutes this morning (mostly north or east) with my compass arrow pointing "SE" almost the entire time. The other thing I've noticed is that during the time the compass is "unresponsive" it stays enabled, even if moving at more than 20 mph the entire time.

I do not know what the timings are supposed to be, but through this testing, I have also identified that when the "Auto" feature turns the electronic compass off/on seems a bit obscure. If I go from stationary to moving, the compass is turned off within a few seconds. If I come to a full stop, the compass stays off for 90 seconds. The timing for the compass turning off (normally) seems appropriate, but the 90 second delay to turn back on seems quite excessive. This could very easily explain the reason so many people have issues with the "jumpiness" of the compass arrow...

Been out caching twice with the update. Did 10 caches, no problems with map or accuracy. Just noticed the menu problem and the compass issue when driving. Compass was fine while walking. :anitongue:

Did you try he 3.10 update before going to the beta? Any improvement in the beta in slow-speed accuracy?

I'm hesitating from "upgrading" to the beta primarily after hearing the negativities expressed in this thread and because, well, I haven't even had a chance to get out with the non-beta release yet.

No, my crashes are mostly routing to a waypoint or a poi, even a waypoint/poi nearby 1/2 mile,

it searches and then it goes off, when I push on again the gps comes with a message;

This route does not

match the available maps

It will not follow the

road precisely. Do you

want to recalculate

the route?

Does the OR turn off by itself? I get the same message with version 3.10 when I manually turn the unit on/off ...

You do not need it...

Taken from Wiki

Its primary goal was to support aviation, but the same accuracy improvements that are *required* for aviation are still a *benefit* (if not required) for other users, especially geocachers.

Until L2C goes hot and allows receivers to correct for ionospheric errors on their own, WAAS will provide significant benefits in many situations. (canyons/gorges/concrete canyons being a known exception due to severe multipath becoming the dominant error source.)

Been out caching twice with the update. Did 10 caches, no problems with map or accuracy. Just noticed the menu problem and the compass issue when driving. Compass was fine while walking. B)

Did you try he 3.10 update before going to the beta? Any improvement in the beta in slow-speed accuracy?

I'm hesitating from "upgrading" to the beta primarily after hearing the negativities expressed in this thread and because, well, I haven't even had a chance to get out with the non-beta release yet.

Went out again today accuracy seems fine, compass was a little squirrely, but lisa was with me and her Oregon at version 3.10 was having the same compass issues. I haven't looked at the tracks closely but I'm not having any issues caching. WAAS seems a little better, It locked on and held the lock for quit a while with 9 ft accuracy listed. :anibad:

Well it just goes off by itself randomly.

It crashes almost always doing waypoints or pois (navigating)

There should be a new update soon to fix those issues. I almost upgraded to 3.12 but with all the bad reports I think I'll wait a couple more days.

I have another interesting problem with 3.10. Sometimes the map is turned upside down or sideways during autorouting. I have tried turning off the compass (in demo mode only) which seems to fix the problem

No crashes here. Going outside tonight to monitor any changes to tree cover reception, tracklogs etc.

I tried a bike trip yesterday under dense and moderate tree coover wth my oregon 300 and tracklog looks smooth, but have long drifts up to 30m from the good known trail track. What your experience Yogazoo?

I'll have to say that this 3.7 GPS chipset software is looking very good. My tracks look smooth and when I veer from the path or zigzag down the street I can see the tracks doing the same. I've not used my Oregon 300 under heavy tree cover conditions but I would now be confident enough to compare the 60CSX and my Oregon's tracklogs side by side. I'm happy to announce that the days of crazy, catywampus tracklogs appear to be over. I think the straying error issue some posters are experiencing are due to the antenna and sensitivity and not to GPS processing of the data. My single biggest issue with the Oregon line has been addressed.

The ugly: I still don't have WAAS as consitently as I think I should.

I cannot understand why it is useless in my Gps and working in others.

Did you try routing, from a to b, with waypoint and/or poi?

Do you have 1 gmapsupp.img or do you have more renamed maps, are they internal or on the SD?

Edited by splashy

Been running 3.12 for 3 days and bugs aside, I have very pleased with the gps engine. I have been testing it along side a PN-40 and it has been just as accurate while geocaching. It has not been close in the past. It is actually making a smother line to the cache then the PN-40. Very pleased. A little more zig zag with the PN-40. :)

I'm curious if people using 3.12 think the Oregon is really more accurate with this release or whether the tracks are just smoother.

Earlier releases of the Oregon actually had much smoother tracks but they were so heavily averaged that track logs tended to cut any turn any turn in your track and if you were stopped (or nearly stopped as in searching for a geocache) the unit would not update your position. The averaging also created a noticeable amount of lag when you were arriving at a destination; you would often overshoot the location unless you stopped and let the unit settle.

I'm all for less noise in the tracklogs but if Garmin is filtering out small movements because they can't tell the difference that is a problem.

Just found a problem.

If I go into Waypoint Manager and select a waypoint, there is no X button in the bottom left corner to return to the main screen. Have to power cycle.

cfd1c2b2-f88b-4f90-bed1-1851d5dea4c8.jpg

Did garmin confirm and understand that this is a problem.

Did anyone get a feedback therefore from garmin?

Did garmin confirm and understand that this is a problem.

Did anyone get a feedback therefore from garmin?

I did not report this one as others had already reported it. I did report the compass issue to OregonBeta@garmin.com and have not gotten any response, not even an acknowledgment that it was received. I am considering reporting this compass issue to the normal support channel since it also exists in the 3.10 release software.