Why do people suddenly stop caching?

I stopped cus Iv'e been dumped by my soon to be ex and it's not much fun going caching on your own!! sob :laughing: But I'm sorting out a new user name and hopefully will be able to get back into it soon. Anyone out there looking for someone to cache with? Rose formerley rose and vince

Commiserations...

I've no idea whether you're rose (now "Rose without a thorn"? :laughing: ) or vince (now "Invincible" maybe? :laughing: ) but perhaps it would be a good idea to attend a local geocaching event to get to know your local geocachers? Also, pinned at the top of this forum is a list of "Geocaching Organisations within UK and Ireland" where you might find a forum for your specific region - That would be a good place to try and find a geocaching companion.

MrsB

In my best "Boysie" accent........(Boysie from Only Fools and Horses).......

"I think you'll find the "Rose" bit is a good indication it is, err.....Rose" :laughing:

I stopped cus Iv'e been dumped by my soon to be ex and it's not much fun going caching on your own!! sob :D But I'm sorting out a new user name and hopefully will be able to get back into it soon. Anyone out there looking for someone to cache with? Rose formerley rose and vince

Commiserations...

I've no idea whether you're rose (now "Rose without a thorn"? :D ) or vince (now "Invincible" maybe? :laughing: ) but perhaps it would be a good idea to attend a local geocaching event to get to know your local geocachers? Also, pinned at the top of this forum is a list of "Geocaching Organisations within UK and Ireland" where you might find a forum for your specific region - That would be a good place to try and find a geocaching companion.

MrsB

In my best "Boysie" accent........(Boysie from Only Fools and Horses).......

"I think you'll find the "Rose" bit is a good indication it is, err.....Rose" :laughing:

"Y'know... yer right... y'might be on to summat there, Boysie... "

:laughing:

:laughing:

MrsB

Life gets in the way. Work, family, personal stuff have been keeping us from our formerly regular walks.

I still search out milestones, blue plaques, abandoned train tunnels, and interesting statues and some other bits and bobs of historical interest and log them on another Groundspeak site now and then. So the GPSr is kept oiled.

But last week we had a holiday ... blessed relief. And we went and found a couple of caches. :)

And my mum will be moving house soon, so a new area of the country to explore on our visits! (E Yorks caches any good?)

I think that caching is what ever you want it to be.

I am not put off by mirco's. The location of them can put me off but the same can be said about regular caches. I am not into swapping "swag" so for me it makes no difference if it is a mirco as all I tend to do is sign the log book. For me it is about getting outside and going to places that I didn't know about.

Am yet to place my first cache although I have an idea for one, it worries me that others will see it as a worthless hide.

I cache alone and come to this forum every now and again to see what other people have to say but each time I come am disappointed in the talk on here, while this doesn't stop me from caching it does make me wonder about other cachers out there.

I have been to one event and found the people there friendly and welcoming which leads me to believe that some of the people on here are hiding behind an anonymous forum

Edited by snuggle bug

Although I am English and living in Finland I still visit the UK forums, more so at this time as me and my partner are planning to visit Surrey very soon for a couple of days.

Well this thread caught my eye, and I have to say that we nearly stopped caching in the early days because of hard to find caches, that is to say that the coordinates were not good and off by quiet a lot, this did start to dis-hearten us, but we stuck with it.

I also think and have to agree with others that life can get in the way of caching and other hobbies, be it family, work, or any other "real life" activities.

I also have to agree that the back biting might be an issue, although personally I would just stop visiting the forums, but saying that I do not think it helps to tell people that there cache is rubbish just because it does not fit what you personally think is a good cache.

We recently published our first cache and it is a micro, and has been well received by the other cachers.

We thought long and hard about our cache before we placed it, we thought about children, less able bodied cachers (disabled), and the enviroment. So our point is you may not like the micro cache but there are times and places when a micro is best.

We have a lot of micro and nano caches here in Finland, you might argue that some of the locations could possibly host a bigger size, this might mean affecting the local enviroment, and that would be wrong.

Urban caches, micros and nanos maybe placed with such things in mind, they may be trying to cater for families who are unable to get out into the countryside, they maybe placed with less able bodied persons in mind, also as has been mentioned children are not able to do long treks over rough terrain.

So before you go complaining about caches, think about others. This is a sport/game that should have something for everyone, just because you dont like something does not mean that others will not like it.

Please try and remember this is an international site, and think how this all looks to visitors from other countries.

As for us we are looking forward to a few days happy caching in Surrey between 27th Sept and 1st Oct.

Peace and Happy Caching

:blink:

Am yet to place my first cache although I have an idea for one, it worries me that others will see it as a worthless hide.

I really wouldn't worry if I were you. I think the majority of 'hides' are appreciated by the majority of cachers.

Don't forget, if someone doesn't like a certain type/location of cache then they don't have to go looking for it.

I always check out previous logs before visiting a cache and have very rarely come across a log with any negative feedback. I also own 28 caches with probably 500 logs in total and only 2 logs have mildly negative comments.

So, if you hide what you are happy to find, then I don't think you will go far wrong - you will never please all of the people all of the time.

Enjoy your first hide, it's great fun waiting for the FTF log to come in. In my area there are the usual suspects that race to be FTF - I've joined in on a few occasions - such good fun - so just go for it [:blink:]

Edited by Hike-and-$eek

I guess that this post is aimed at folk like me. 350+ caches over 3/4 years then I suddenly stop.

For me it's a mix of life getting in the way and what I see as a change for the worse in the game. I took up caching when there were a high number of fun caches involving going out to find unknown places and often finding interesting trades. Most of the new caches around me now tend to be ill thought out micros in a lay-by - the numbers game has taken over. I aslo find that trades have gone to pot. In my own caches I find the trades dissapear or get replaced by tat. I also found the Groundspeak politics to be an influence in putting me off. I've not been on this forum since the original UK mods were forced to leave I logged on here for the 1st time in a year only as I needed to post a message and noticed this post.

I've not given up caching but I'll now only do what I consider an interesting cache if I'm in an area. I no longer think 'I wonder where I go caching today?'.

All that said may I wish the very best to todays cachers - have fun!

well just a quick stop by and found this thread,

I have slowed down my caching due to life doing other stuff and a huge amount of nanos and micros reducing my interest. I still do a few but I have just got my membership renewal and for what i do I dont think I will renew as 20 quid :D would be better spent elsewhere.

maybe later :D

I guess that this post is aimed at folk like me. 350+ caches over 3/4 years then I suddenly stop.

For me it's a mix of life getting in the way and what I see as a change for the worse in the game. I took up caching when there were a high number of fun caches involving going out to find unknown places and often finding interesting trades. Most of the new caches around me now tend to be ill thought out micros in a lay-by - the numbers game has taken over. I aslo find that trades have gone to pot. In my own caches I find the trades dissapear or get replaced by tat. I also found the Groundspeak politics to be an influence in putting me off. I've not been on this forum since the original UK mods were forced to leave I logged on here for the 1st time in a year only as I needed to post a message and noticed this post.

I've not given up caching but I'll now only do what I consider an interesting cache if I'm in an area. I no longer think 'I wonder where I go caching today?'.

All that said may I wish the very best to todays cachers - have fun!

It has to be said FMC, that in our opinion your caches rate as being some of the best in the area.

So, please keep hiding them, even if you've given up finding them!

I am one of those that simply got bored by the huge number of poorly thought out micros stuffed all over the place with no real reason. It became harder and harder to find the motivation to look for them until I just stopped.

I used to always check out caches in an area I was visiting on work or whatever, but after so many such searches just bringing up lists of boring looking nano and micros I just don't even do that any more.

I probably look as though I've suddenly stopped . . . I have a particular cache I want for #1000 but it needs a combination of good weather and me and my climbing partner both being free on the same weekend. Currently on 998, so have things on hold a bit.

(Using the time to put together a series which people will probably find a tad frustrating . . . I hope. And it won't involve a single film can in an ivy-covered tree.)

After reading people complain about the endless micros out there, have you ever thought that we (as a geo-caching society) encourage hiders to not put the larger sized containers out there!

I've only really been back in the flow for a couple of months, but am coming increasingly annoyed at finding the larger containers with a really poor selection of swaps! Especially when you read that when the cache containers was placed with a whole host of goodies!

Why do people consistently continue to trade down? At one of the caches I visited recently, someone took an item of value and left a beer bottle lid in exchange! I am a firm believer that if you can't trade up, don't trade at all.

Why should a cacher spend time, effort and a bit of hard-earned money placing good large-sized cache xontainers out there, when fellow cachers just turn up and take the mickey with their swops? Certainly something that puts me off making my cache ideas become reality!

Anyways, rant over! ;)

How funny this thread should be here - I used to cache quite enthusiastically

I used the mapping and search facilities on geocachinguk.com - I liked the 'dot' map especially.

That website has gone, I preferred it to the main site.

But, the real nail in the coffin - I did a series of caches in New Zealand - they were all in seriously stunning locations.

I know there will be plenty of UK caches in stunning locations...but there are many more in poor locations, so I'm less inclined now.

Adrian