Why do people suddenly stop caching?

I was just idly reading through the logs of a few older caches and looking at some visitors profiles of those who had not logged many more than 100 caches in total. A large proportion of them logged their last find over a year ago in spite of comments in their logs and in their profile saying what a fantastic hobby geocaching was and how excited they were about it.

Why have they suddenly stopped? I can understand family or work commitments getting in the way of a few, but for so many to suddenly stop completely is just beyond me. I don't think it can just be a case of exhausting their local area as there are always new caches coming on line and there are more now than there ever were. :huh:

Death could be a reason :huh:

I too have wondered about it, i think that most cachers do it as a family activity and when the kids get bored they seem to stop.

The annoying thing for me is they pick up one of my travel bugs and then seem to stop :laughing:

This could also be done as a holiday activity for many, so they could be coming back on line around now.

Checking my profile I see that I've been Geocaching for 7 years now. In that time I've notched up the magnificent total of 50 caches found. I have some L O N G gaps in my geocaching activity.

I'm afraid if a cache isn't up in the hills somewhere near where I'm climbing, or I haven't got kids with me (geocaching is a great way of encouraging children to walk) I can't generally be bothered.

I do generally do the ones close to home, or if I know where I'm going for a walk I will check the route to see if there are any caches en route.

The next ones I'm aiming for are some that have appeared on the top of Pen y Fan, sometime next month probably. At this rate I'll get to 60 by the end of the decade!

Regards,

Neil

MAybe they were into caching and all of a sudden got real busy???

I found out about geocaching durring a lull in life activities not long ago... Now some things at home are going on (nothing major bad) and work is really hecttic and picking up, so I have had very little tme to go caching latley even though I really miss it and want to go...

Hence the reason I read this place so much...

They get fed up of micros stuffed in hedges? or terribly hard and pointless puzzle caches? :D

Partly that. I logged geocaches for a while, then gave up on them to concentrate on looking for trigpoints and benchmarks, which I find much more satisfying.

Why is that? Partly, there is a historical interest side to Ordnance Survey stuff that plastic tubs will never match. And partly the aesthetics are just better - when a benchmark or trig is in an unattractive place then there is at least a reason for it, mainly, that the surroundings have changed over the decades. Frequently, caches are in unattractive places for no reason other than a lack of imagination on the part of the owner.

But as was mentioned already, caching is good for the kids, and I'll no doubt log a few more when mine show an interest.

Illness, a new relationship, or a newer hobby distracting them. I'm sorry to say I know of at least one incidence of behaviour on this forum putting folks off caching (no names) but I can't imagine that decision came out of the blue. Hitting a personal target/landmark can take the impetus out of caching, and finding one too many wet micros in a p-poor location with rubbish co-ords and a bad clue... actually, NOT finding one too many wet micros...

I wish if they decide to stop that they would make sure that they at least get rid of any GC's or TB's they are holding (into the nearest cache would be nice)

This is precisely my worry and the main reason for my original question. Many of my TB's and GC's have disappeared and it seems to be because the current holders have gone into caching hibernation. Not much we can do about that I guess! :laughing:

I was just idly reading through the logs of a few older caches and looking at some visitors profiles of those who had not logged many more than 100 caches in total. A large proportion of them logged their last find over a year ago in spite of comments in their logs and in their profile saying what a fantastic hobby geocaching was and how excited they were about it.

Why have they suddenly stopped? I can understand family or work commitments getting in the way of a few, but for so many to suddenly stop completely is just beyond me. I don't think it can just be a case of exhausting their local area as there are always new caches coming on line and there are more now than there ever were. :laughing:

Quite a few people seemed to flounce off in a huff a while ago because they were unhappy with Groundspeak, but that always seemed a bit extreme to me. Whatever Groundspeak may or may not have done, I'm happy just to get on with finding the caches.

I go through fits and spurts. Longest period for me without a cache find was about three weeks. I've cleared most of my local caches - the ones I want to do, anyway - so as time goes on, finding fresh caches involves travelling further afield, which gets more time consuming.

A lot of the caches near to me are incredibly cryptic puzzles that just baffle the hell out of me. Surrey is absolutely plagued with these things, and there's hardly any trads or reasonably simple multis, which I find very frustrating. I'm likely to never do them, and as all the alternatives dry up, I may end up caching less often.

Lee

I'm taking a couple of weeks off.

I'm catching up on watching DVD's :D , housework :D and generally lazing about.

And I thought I'd let Goldpot catch me up a little. <_<

I over took you once, Mr Curry, that pleased me no end. :D Now I can relax without the need to take this game seriously... :D

Must admit that we have slowed down but that is probably just down to the joints needing a day or so rest . ALso agree about puzzle caches, never bother with them , after all this is an easy going hobby and we use it to get out in the fresh air whenever possible noy spending trying to solve mindless puzzles that mean absolutely nothing to my (it would seem) too logical thinking brain so they get simply deleted from my lists straight away.

One of my missing items was picked up by a cacher with the following dates

Found 2 caches on: March 28 2009

released 1 x owned TB and picked 1 x Geocoin (mine) The only good thing is that it is a Garmin coin so cost me nothing but it is the principle.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

When I started I did what I was told and logged my finds online. I quickly discovered that the part I enjoyed was researching good caches and then the challenge of finding them. Logging was not part of that so I stopped bothering to log anything online. If I particularly like a cach I'll let the owner know via an entry in the logbook but otherwise I keep my thoughts to myself.

I've got several hundred finds under my belt now but to all appearances on the website I've stopped caching. After all, caching is a physical, outdoor activity.

And before anyone asks, I never take TB's or Geocoins as they necessarily involve computer logging.

We got involved as a way of giving the kids an objective on a walk.

For a while we also got carried away blitzing every cache within 10 miles of our home.

The kids are now 3 years older and are getting into other things which uses up the time where we previously spent caching

Nowadays we only tend to cache when on holiday in the Lake District. Even then, going to junior fell races & bagging Wainwrights is the primary objective for the kids & caches only get picked up if they're on the way.

We also only go for caches in good rural locations set by respected cachers - not chasing numbers any more makes it a lot more enjoyable.

Edited by stonefielders

from talking to people i think one of the main reasons is cache burn out.i think people try and get that many caches under there belt that they get fed up.just take it easy and do them as and when,without going mad.

I agree, also it's ok playing the go, find, log but after a while you need new challenges. We have 13 out at the moment all with some different twists to them. I look for caches with loads of DNF's. They become a challenge to find them.

Maybe we just need to think what sort of cache we would like to find that would be more interesting to keep people involved.

Why have they suddenly stopped? I can understand family or work commitments getting in the way of a few, but for so many to suddenly stop completely is just beyond me. I don't think it can just be a case of exhausting their local area as there are always new caches coming on line and there are more now than there ever were. :anibad:

I've been a member for seven and a half years, have less than 100 finds and can't remember when I found my last cache. Reasons for me stopping for so long include:

- starting a family

- busier job

- degradation of cache quality and dawning realisation that some caches are in fact little more than litter

- interest in other things

- broken GPSr which I haven't got round to replacing

- changing attitudes of cachers to numbers-based activity instead of the discovery of interesting places

I haven't got round to starting again yet.

Edited by el10t

Why have they suddenly stopped? I can understand family or work commitments getting in the way of a few, but for so many to suddenly stop completely is just beyond me. I don't think it can just be a case of exhausting their local area as there are always new caches coming on line and there are more now than there ever were. :anibad:

I've been a member for seven and a half years, have less than 100 finds and can't remember when I found my last cache. Reasons for me stopping for so long include:

- starting a family

- busier job

- degradation of cache quality and dawning realisation that some caches are in fact little more than litter

- interest in other things

- broken GPSr which I haven't got round to replacing

- changing attitudes of cachers to numbers-based activity instead of the discovery of interesting places

I haven't got round to starting again yet.

I agree B) caching should not just be a numbers game or even a FTF game. It should be interesting places or locations you would have never know were there. We have been caching for a few months and have found some very interesting place thanks to the hobby.

It's about getting out there, seeing what is in your local area and sharing with other people via a cache. Not who has done the most, who is nearing there X 1000. but who his found the most interesting places or had enjoyable days.

Isn't caching what ever you want it to be?

If some enjoy the numbers game. or dashing out at 5 am in the rain to grab a FTF, or spending 7 weeks deciphering some "pointless" puzzle or walking around the gorgeous Cornish coast path picking up a cache or two along the way whilst licking a Kellys cornet or some may even enjoy finding 100 micros in hedges in a day or going to events and meeting loads of other cachers - so what? Can we not all just play it as we like to?

I've had great days walking miles over Dartmoor and finding 3 caches and equally great days doing circular walks in Wiltshire and claiming 30 caches and a really good day just finding one 5/5 cache in Devon.

Isn't caching what ever you want it to be?

If some enjoy the numbers game. or dashing out at 5 am in the rain to grab a FTF, or spending 7 weeks deciphering some "pointless" puzzle or walking around the gorgeous Cornish coast path picking up a cache or two along the way whilst licking a Kellys cornet or some may even enjoy finding 100 micros in hedges in a day or going to events and meeting loads of other cachers - so what? Can we not all just play it as we like to?

I've had great days walking miles over Dartmoor and finding 3 caches and equally great days doing circular walks in Wiltshire and claiming 30 caches and a really good day just finding one 5/5 cache in Devon.

Yes of course you can play the game however you want to. Similarly I can take a break for whatever reasons I want to, right? I wasn't trying to change anyones reasons for caching, just explaining why I hadn't cached for a while as per the original question.

Edited by el10t

I'd choose 'quality caches' in areas of special interest over random micros in bushes, but when looking at a splash of caches across a googlemap, it's hard to see the diamonds amongst the s- others :)

I'm planning my time around Weston-Super-Mare, but what caches to look for while I'm there out of the hundreds in the area? You end up having to take the rough with the smooth, even when you'd rather just focus on the smooth.

I'd choose 'quality caches' in areas of special interest over random micros in bushes, but when looking at a splash of caches across a googlemap, it's hard to see the diamonds amongst the s- others :)

I'm planning my time around Weston-Super-Mare, but what caches to look for while I'm there out of the hundreds in the area? You end up having to take the rough with the smooth, even when you'd rather just focus on the smooth.

maybe there is a bookmark list for the caches in the area that will help, or maybe start one?

Thought i'd put my ten-penneth in!!

Joined in late 2003, with the help of 'Wandera' found my first 2 caches, then found 2 more a fortnight later!

Due to work and other commitments, wasn't able to go caching for several months, and suddenly it went from months to a year and suddenly it's been 6 years without caching (though I always knew that i'd start again up again).

Now i've moved house and found several caches within walking distance of home (and where I normally go for walks with my fiancee), so I logged back in and thought i'd start caching again!

Found my first cache for 6 years last night (and it also happens to be my first multi-cache too), and have totally got the geocaching bug again! Here's to loads more finds both in UK and also in France (where my in-laws live), as well as anywhere that I go on holiday!!

On this subject, what is the longest time frame between cache finds that anyone has got? My last find was 18th Oct 03, so mine would be just under 5 years and 10 months in total! Anyone longer than that?

Gooner

Ps. Biggest regret!! Was away on holiday in Tobago earlier this year and now found out that there was a cache within 5 minutes of where I was staying!! Absolutely gutted coz that would have certainly been a big feather in my cap!!

Welcome back to the game! :D

That's the good thing about caches: They may come... and go... but there's always more around to find.

MrsB

Thanks MrsB :P

You are indeed correct with the comment about caches coming and going. Of the 4 that I found previuosly, 3 of them have now been archived.

However, it's nice to see that my favorite cache (Toms Treasure Chest - GCH1B2) is still out there! It's certainly worth a visit, and the standard of the cache box is outstanding!

Not totally stopped, but not done any for at least a year. My reasons as follows:

1) New hobby, airsofting, much more physical and to me, much more fun, but takes up much more time.

2) Saturation of caches, i guess thats to be expected as the hobby becomes more popular

3) Quality of new caches being placed, I like being taken to a new (nice) area that i've not seen before, not a fence post in an industrial estate that's clearly been wazzed on, just to get a micro.

4) Cycling, doing much more of this but prefer the non stop run rather than stopping to get caches.

5) New allotment, this takes more time up than all the above lol!

Caching will probably be relegated to a holidays only, we had a fantastic caching experience around Snowdon/Betws-y-coed last year, and in Cyprus the year before that which we will probably repeat at some point.

In the case of the Wandering_Yoopers; we got into this sport while I was home on leave from Iraq. The only reason we stopped is because I had to head back and finish my tour. Don't worry though, as soon as I get back from this giant dust box we will be resurfacing in the Fort Riley Kansas area (about 5-6 weeks from today). We started caching in my home town of Ironwood in Michigan. Then three months after I get back we will be moving to Alaska and we will definatly be caching up there. We haven't stopped caching. We are just taking a break. We will be back soon.

3 other hobbies/interests/activities to get fanatical about. I go through a phase every so often of finding a few, but I couldn't do it as my 1st or only fanatical hobby. There's so many caches around here that 1. i'd go insane trying to find even half of them, and 2. the vast majority will still be there next month, and 3. the FTF is logged usually within minutes of going live around here, so there's little incentive to find new caches quickly.