So you have Cache's that need Maintenance.

JABs

Ok so you have a few cache hides now and are about to hide, list a new one.

1- Would like to see that any cacher that has problems doing maintenance on current hides be unable to hide/list any new ones till the current ones are fixed up.

2- I put it as a new idea that like TBs and Coins that are listed on your profile page a new colum under this that displays your caches that are disabled, needs maitenance. Thus would help remind cache's that they have an outstanding cache.

With a large number of hides one can easy forget if a cache is disabled or needs maintenance. THis would be an easy way to remind them that they have some caches needing attention.

I am now aware that the first idea is not so great.

My reason is that if you can't look after the cache's you already own how bo you plan to look after any new ones? Others always talk about how many finds one should have before they are aloud to hide, but this is about following the guidelines on cache maintenance. Please put a stop to cache's hideing new caches until such time as they have fixed any outstanding problems.

Edit to add point two and cross out point 1.

Edited by JABs

What you're asking for makes some sense, and at their option, volunteer cache reviewers may prod cache owners to comply with the Cache Maintenance guideline.

As I've posted in past discussions of this subject, however, I'd hate to see this become mandatory as part of the cache review process. It would require going through all of the hider's other caches (think King Boreas) and checking the cache page for each one that is temporarily disabled or has a needs maintenance attribute. That would take longer than the rest of the review in most cases. I would want to change the promised turnaround time for initial review from three days to one week. I'm publishing more than 100 caches each week lately and I shudder to think of how much extra time this would require.

I'd also hate to see this process automated (for example, if you have any caches that are disabled, you cannot fill out a new cache report form). There are many valid reasons why a cache must be disabled for many months (winter closure, construction project, protection of nesting birds, etc.). Those valid excuses should not block the owner from hiding new caches until the other situations are resolved. So, the reviewer would need to read each page individually to see WHY it is disabled.

If a cache needing maintenance is bothering you, you can write an e-mail to the owner, log a "needs maintenance" log, or log a "needs archived" log (in that order).

Edited by Keystone

Thanks for a quick reply.

I put it as a new idea that like TBs and Coins that are listed on your profile page a new colum under this that displays your caches that are disabled, needs maitenance. Thus would help remind cache's that they have an outstanding cache.

With a large number of hides one can easy forget if a cache is disabled or needs maintenance. THis would be an easy way to remind them that they have some caches needing attention

Well, that's a very different feature request. As a reviewer, I would support a feature that highlighted all of a geocacher's caches that were disabled or had an unresolved "needs maintenance" attribute. That would help us with our workload, help the cache owners, and help the quality of the caches out there.

....My reason is that if you can't look after the cache's you already own how bo you plan to look after any new ones?...

The logic is solid, with one key assumption. You have the ability to go maintain that cache right now. Personally I have caches that can be under 6' of snow. If I got the "hey you have a damp log' note July 30th, and planned a trip on August 15th and snow came early this year. Whoops. Now what? So much for placing that cache that I have been planning and interupted to schedule a maintanence run...

The other thing is even ignoring snow. I make a many trips a year in varios directions for business, If the cache needs maintance I'm not wasteing gas when I can combine it with a trip I know I'm taking.

So what I'm saying is that I really don't care if someone is slow about maintaining their cache as log as they do. As long as they do this as time and life allow, I don't mind them placing new caches.

I have never bought into the "when a finder says jump, jump up and say how high" theory of cache maintance that seems to assume we have nothing but time and gas, let alone that a wet log is a full blown cache crisis.

1- Would like to see that any cacher that has problems doing maintenance on current hides be unable to hide/list any new ones till the current ones are fixed up.

Like the others I disagree with this view. I went and placed a cache in February this year, and the day that I got home from placing it I found a needs maintenance log on one of my caches. Since I checked my mail first and called the owner for more details, I got the info I needed and marked it as disabled. Then I went and created the new cache page. This type of feature would have prevented the new cache from being created in this situation.

Besides, nobody would actualy disable the cache if they didn't feel like fixing it...

Well, that's a very different feature request. As a reviewer, I would support a feature that highlighted all of a geocacher's caches that were disabled or had an unresolved "needs maintenance" attribute. That would help us with our workload, help the cache owners, and help the quality of the caches out there.

I like this idea, not just for the reviewers, but it would be a fast way to look at caches that either showed a red cross against my cache, and/or I have disabled.

Perhaps it would prevent all those caches which were disabled at one time, and then re-enabled but a "Owner Maintenance" log was never posted and it kept the red cross there ever since.

It could be in either my start page, (but a reviewer wouldn't see it there), or as a link on the public profile. If everybody could see that you weren't maintaining your caches, then it would be viewed as a silent peer pressure to drive them to fix their own caches.

All in all, I think "Needs Maintenance" link would be a good idea.

I second the "Need Maintenance" listing on your profile page idea. We have over 500 (out of an area population of 5000 = 10% or so) of these caches in my area. But, when you actually read the cache pages, a large portion of the flags are referring to old, old NM logs that were never cleared. Thus, the NM flag is worthless in searching for "current" caches.

A reminder on the profile page would go a long way in reminding cachers to maintain their caches as well as their cache listings.

....My reason is that if you can't look after the cache's you already own how bo you plan to look after any new ones?...

The logic is solid, with one key assumption. You have the ability to go maintain that cache right now. Personally I have caches that can be under 6' of snow. If I got the "hey you have a damp log' note July 30th, and planned a trip on August 15th and snow came early this year. Whoops. Now what? So much for placing that cache that I have been planning and interupted to schedule a maintanence run...

The other thing is even ignoring snow. I make a many trips a year in varios directions for business, If the cache needs maintance I'm not wasteing gas when I can combine it with a trip I know I'm taking.

So what I'm saying is that I really don't care if someone is slow about maintaining their cache as log as they do. As long as they do this as time and life allow, I don't mind them placing new caches.

I have never bought into the "when a finder says jump, jump up and say how high" theory of cache maintance that seems to assume we have nothing but time and gas, let alone that a wet log is a full blown cache crisis.

I agree. I have a cache that's currently disabled awaiting a critical part, and I cannot do anything further to fix it until the part arrives. I shouldn't have to wait to wait until I have the part to go hide another cache. Such an idea will hinder the responsible cache owners, more than it will encourage the irresponsible cache owners to deal with their current responsibilities.

Edited by Dwoodford

So does anyone else like the idear of there disabled/ need maitenance caches showing up on there home/profile page. As a way to help remind you that there are some caches needing attention.

Sure. Can't see why that would be a bad thing. I currently have a disabled cache that I have to re-hide and wouldn't mind having it in a more attention-getting spot on my profile page.

So does anyone else like the idea of there disabled/ need maintenance caches showing up on their home/profile page. as a way to help remind you that there are some caches needing attention.

I like this idea, as long as it is placed ABOVE the useless (to me) User Routes, Field Notes, and Geocaching with Twitter drivel.

Wasn't there some talk about allowing users to configure their profile pages to display what they wanted to see, in their order of preference?

Personally, I think my traveler inventory is MUCH more important than the above mentioned 'features', and a 'Caches Needing Attention' list would be even more important.

It would be a good thing for most of us.

Also, any caches with an active "Needs Maintenance" flag should be listed. It seems many folks don't realized that a NM flag needs a Owner Maintenance log (not just an "Enable") to clear the flag.

I so agree, listing the NM flag prominently is a good idea. Re: not understanding the procedure, I was one of those folks that didn't understand that a NM flag needs an Owner Maintenance log. I didn't get what the reviewer was pestering me about. Once the light bulb went off, I got it and use it properly now. Recently I placed a NM note on a cache and the owner fixed the problem and posted a note (same thing I did with mine). I let him know about the OM log and he thanked me because he also didn't realize the correct procedure.

My active caches in need of repair

Ridgeview Heights @ The Pines red srikethrough indicating disabled, with

Ridgeview Heights @ The Pines just red to indicate current Needs Maintenance

at the top of the profile, above the current

My caches waiting for review

Hamsters Adrift in the Sargasso

I like it, I like it a lot.

:) Of course, there's a language problem with "caches waiting for review" since any unactivated unpublished caches AREN'T waiting for review. Until they're activated/enabled (why use both terms?) they aren't going to be reviewed, and that sure trips up a bunch of hiders. And their disabled status doesn't show on that list! ................sorry, I've drifted pretty far off topic.

I would LOVE to see it, modified from the current form:

My active caches in need of repair

Ridgeview Heights @ The Pines disabled

Ridgeview Heights @ The Pines Needs Maintenance

My unpublished caches disabled caches will not be reviewed

Hamsters Adrift in the Sargasso

Drowning Hamsters disabled

Changing the current "caches waiting for review" to "unpublished caches" and indicating disabled with strikethrough, including a warning that disabled caches will not be reviewed.

Kill the use of both activated and enabled. Use enabled/ disabled throughout the website in reference to cache listings.

No thanks. I know which caches have a Needs Maintenance posted on them. And that's usually an abuse of the system. Performed maintenance Sunday because someone logged:

The log book is soaked.
Not sure what world that cacher lives on, but s/he wasted my time. Log was barely damp, and still signable. But, as a good owner, I went out to check. Other places I'd rather have cached that day, though we did find some nice ones nearby. I think "Needs Maintenance" is badly abused by cachers who have no idea what they're talking about. I do NOT need reminders.
I think "Needs Maintenance" is badly abused by cachers who have no idea what they're talking about. I do NOT need reminders.

Oh I agree 100% on the abuse (and general uselessness of) Needs Maintenance.

I'd like to see the log type go away.

I consider it almost a total failure; cachers logging Needs Maintenance when they should log a DNF; the silly, "log is damp, log is full" stuff, and then the cache owners who have no idea how to clear the icon.