Nuvi 760 Car Charger

When I keep my 760 in my car on the Garmin 12V adapter, it powers up fine when I turn on the ignition but over time ends up with a totally drained battery. I periodically have to take it inside and plug it into my computer to charge up the battery. Is this normal?

When connected to the car charger, look at the top right corner of the main screen and check if the battery level indicator is visible. If it is, then the unit isn't charging. However, even if the indicator isn't there, you may still have a problem.

Edited by sagc

When connected to the car charger, look at the top right corner of the main screen and check if the battery level indicator is visible. If it is, then the unit isn't charging. However, even if the indicator isn't there, you may still have a problem.

When I have it on the 12V adapter, the battery icon is not visible, I have to remove it from the cradle, or turn it on with the ignition key in the off position. When I turn on the ignition, the unit turns on, and stays on until I turn off the ignition at which point I get the 30 second count down.

If I pull the 12V plug with the ignition on, and press the stay on button, the screen goes to a dimmer state. When I put the 12V plug back in the screen goes bright.

After a couple weeks of daily use in the car, if I undock it from the cradle, there is a single red dot for battery charge. If I plug in the USB cable to my PC, it goes to full green bars in less than two hours.

Over all, it seems like the unit is getting power from the 12V adapter. For some reason the charger portion does not work for the 12V connector but does for the USB connector. I wonder if there are different pins on the 12V multi-pin edge connector for powering the unit and charging the battery.