City Navigator North America NT 2010.2

Help me understand this. I just got a DVD and it installed as City Navigator North America NT 2010.1

Am I eligible for free upgrade to 2010.2? Is it now being updated multiple times a year?

Yes.

Make sure you register your DVD map at -> https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces then click on My Maps. It should show any available updates.

The NuMaps guarantee will cover certain units if they have a CityNav installed (e.g. a DVD).

Edited by Chris CA

To be more correct.

It is only for GPS that comes with preloaded maps, like Nüvi and Zumo.

It ONLY applies to the nuvi and the Zumo lines, currently.

Guarantee applies to one Garmin nüvi or zūmo unit. Not transferable to any other person or product. You will qualify for the free map update only if (i) you register your nüvi or zūmo online at http://my.garmin.com within 60 days of first acquiring satellites while driving with your device, and (ii) a newer version of the map data was or becomes available for purchase from Garmin’s website at any time up to 60 days after first acquiring satellites while driving with your device. You will not qualify for the free map update if you register your nüvi or zūmo with Garmin by telephone or more than 60 days after first acquiring satellites while driving with your device. Limit of one free map update per unit.

Since that is yet the only units with preloaded maps..

I would bet $100 that if a new series arrive that do have preloaded map, that they will also be covered by the free upgrade.

@Chris CA

What do you mean with

"The NuMaps guarantee will cover certain units if they have a CityNav installed (e.g. a DVD)"

Units preinstalled maps do NOT come with a DVD

Except when you purchase a full DVD and and install it on a compatible unit.

I have a Colorado 300 (which comes with the worldwide basemap only). I purchased City Navigator 2010.10 (full version) on DVD around the end of June & registered it.

When someone posted here a week or two ago that a new update was available, I went to My.garmin.com and it showed an update was available. I downloaded it and it gave me a new product key and install code.

It all worked fine and installed just dandy. The update is still available for download for 30 days after teh update is first ownloaded.

See this for compatible products-> https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=364...7746#productTab

What do you mean with

"The NuMaps guarantee will cover certain units if they have a CityNav installed (e.g. a DVD)"

Units preinstalled maps do NOT come with a DVD

Okay. I never said they came with a DVD

Team R2 wrote, "I just got a DVD and it installed as City Navigator North America NT 2010.1".

Look at the link above for compatible units.

Edited by Chris CA

To be more correct.

It is only for GPS that comes with preloaded maps, like Nüvi and Zumo.

Guarantee applies to one Garmin nüvi or zūmo unit. Not transferable to any other person or product. You will qualify for the free map update only if (i) you register your nüvi or zūmo online at http://my.garmin.com within 60 days of first acquiring satellites while driving with your device, and (ii) a newer version of the map data was or becomes available for purchase from Garmin’s website at any time up to 60 days after first acquiring satellites while driving with your device. You will not qualify for the free map update if you register your nüvi or zūmo with Garmin by telephone or more than 60 days after first acquiring satellites while driving with your device. Limit of one free map update per unit.

Nope..CO and OR units are also covered with a full version of CN.

Just an FYI I was upgrading some nuvi's that work uses and the upgrade pushes an upgrade to mapsource as part of the download.

I was using 6.12 I think since I didn't like the way the new versions stretch east to west. After running the update it "upgraded" to 6.15.6. GRRRRR!

Really aggravating but more so now all my custom symbols ave the magenta background in mapsource. Any one have a handy link on what I need to change to fix the magenta backgrounds.

As I recall it was a matter of putting the symbols in a new directory somewhere but I can't seen to find the info.

Andrew, you can still run the old version side by side with the new version of Mapsource.

I have the latest version of Mapsource installed. Before I did the upgrade I saved a copy the executable (mapsource.exe) from 6.13.7 (my favorite version) in a different folder. After the upgrade I renamed the older executable to be "mapsource6137.exe" and copied it to the c:\Garmin folder along with the new version. Now I can run either one.

This doesn't help you use any of your old symbols with the new maps, of course.

You can convert the new maps so that they will work with the old version of Mapsource. There's a utility out there that makes it pretty easy but I can't recall what it's called. Perhaps someone else can point you to it.

...ken...

Andrew, you can still run the old version side by side with the new version of Mapsource.

I have the latest version of Mapsource installed. Before I did the upgrade I saved a copy the executable (mapsource.exe) from 6.13.7 (my favorite version) in a different folder. After the upgrade I renamed the older executable to be "mapsource6137.exe" and copied it to the c:\Garmin folder along with the new version. Now I can run either one.

You can convert the new maps so that they will work with the old version of Mapsource. There's a utility out there that makes it pretty easy but I can't recall what it's called. Perhaps someone else can point you to it.

...ken...

Thanks for the info. It is appreciated. Sadly I wasn't expecting the upgrade so I hadn't saved the previous file. I am sure I can find it somewhere however. In all actuality I can adapt to what I have. Its the dang magenta boxes that I have to deal with that really cheese me off.

Has anyone purchased the updates with a CO/OR? I have been thinking about it. But I am not clear what you get. Do you get a new version of CN 4 times a year?

With Lifetime updates, you can download a new version up to 4 times a year for the specific GPS receiver you have. If they have 5 updates, you only get 4.

When 2011 comes out, you can download a new version of that.

Edited by Chris CA

Thanks for the info. It is appreciated. Sadly I wasn't expecting the upgrade so I hadn't saved the previous file. I am sure I can find it somewhere however. In all actuality I can adapt to what I have. Its the dang magenta boxes that I have to deal with that really cheese me off.

I'm pretty sure there is at least on discussion thread on here somewhere, maybe more than one, that discuss exactly your problem. Seems like someone came up with a solution. I don't have the problem so didn't pay a lot of attention. It's in one of the many Mapsource update threads.

...ken...

...ken...

Here's a link to version 6.13.7 which is a nice stable version.

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

Here's a link to version 6.13.7 which is a nice stable version.

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

There are a couple of issues to be aware of.

1. With that link he'll have to uninstall the newer version, install the older version, copy the executable somewhere safe, reinstall the new version (if he's got a copy of the installer around) and, finally, copy the old executable to the Garmin folder with a different name.

Shucks, I'd be happy to just PM or email him the 6.13.7 executable to save all that messing around. He already has a newer version so it's legal.

But I didn't offer because of one other, perhaps more important issue.

2. He won't be able to read his spiffy new 2010.2 maps in 6.13.7. He'll still have to use the newer version of Mapsource to do that.

So it doesn't solve his custom icon problem when he wants to use his 2010.2 maps.

You may recall that it's his custom icon issue that started this thread. Seems to me there's another thread around that addresses the custom icon issue.

Of course he could also go the other direction and convert the 2010.2 maps back to the old Mapsource format. Seems to me there's a program available now that makes that relatively easy to do. I don't know what the implications are for unlocking the new maps in the old Mapsource, though.

...ken...

You can run both the new and old versions at the same time. Just rename the old executable to something else. They both work fine at the same time.

I have a copy of just the executable here: http://www.calgarycachers.net/red90/MapSource_6137.zip

Just extract the EXE file in that link and put it anywhere on your computer. Running it will give you the old version.

Edited by Red90

You can run both the new and old versions at the same time. Just rename the old executable to something else. They both work fine at the same time.

But ... but ... but.... I already said you can do that (see my Aug 9 post). BUT ... You cannot display CNNA 2010.2 in the old version of Mapsource. The file format of 2010.2 is incompatible with the old versions. You can only display it in the new version. (But you know that.)

And that's the problem.

The original problem is that his custom icons that he created in an older version of Mapsource do not display correctly in the new version. Instead of being transparent, they have a magenta background.

That's a well-known issue that has had a lot of discussion in here.

Running two versions of Mapsource does not solve that problem. And I can't find the thread with the extensive discussion about the icon transparency.

...ken...

I have a copy of just the executable here: http://www.calgarycachers.net/red90/MapSource_6137.zip

Just extract the EXE file in that link and put it anywhere on your computer. Running it will give you the old version.

Red thanks for the link. I am going to store that somewhere safe.

But ... but ... but.... I already said you can do that (see my Aug 9 post). BUT ... You cannot display CNNA 2010.2 in the old version of Mapsource. The file format of 2010.2 is incompatible with the old versions. You can only display it in the new version. (But you know that.)

And that's the problem.

The original problem is that his custom icons that he created in an older version of Mapsource do not display correctly in the new version. Instead of being transparent, they have a magenta background.

That's a well-known issue that has had a lot of discussion in here.

Running two versions of Mapsource does not solve that problem. And I can't find the thread with the extensive discussion about the icon transparency.

...ken...

Ken, I have been having the same problem finding the thread that talked about it. I can't seem to get the search function to spit out the correct answer.

Oh well, thanks for the help everyone.