What is an evil micro?

An evil micro is a tiny bison tube: glued into the bottom of a drilled out rock and tossed into a huge pile of other rocks; inserted into the hollow end of a wee branch amid thousands of other wee branches on a tree, inserted into the knot hole of a tree plugged up with a knot on a tree that has a hundred other knots, placed inside a fake bolt and magnetized to a metal structure that has a thousand other similar bolts, etc, etc. Searching for something like this can drive you nuts. Gotta love 'em though.

I personally think micros hidden in full view of the general public, with surveillance cameras pointing at you, to be evil. The only one I found that I would consider truly evil was a fake leaf hidden underneath a cypress tree that was completely covered with ivy. It was an old "code word only" cache.

An evil micro is a tiny bison tube: glued into the bottom of a drilled out rock and tossed into a huge pile of other rocks; inserted into the hollow end of a wee branch amid thousands of other wee branches on a tree, inserted into the knot hole of a tree plugged up with a knot on a tree that has a hundred other knots, placed inside a fake bolt and magnetized to a metal structure that has a thousand other similar bolts, etc, etc. Searching for something like this can drive you nuts. Gotta love 'em though.

Nope. You're mistaking 'nasty' for 'evil'. Needle in a haystack hide is just nasty. No redeeming social value. And that's what you're describing. BTW, the 3 star fake bolt in the guard rail was easy to find. It is the one with no rust on it.

Acquaintance of Desert Country in Africa has the right idea. Evil is a delight to find (after a few DNFs). Aha! You got me! But I found it anyways! Hidden in plain sight. Well camouflaged. Looks like it belongs. Now, THAT's EVIL!! Inspiration! To perdition with the rock in a pile of rocks. That's masochistic.

What exactly is an evil micro or an evil hide? What makes it "evil"???

One of the most common is a magnetic hide-a-key on a tank. A nano on a tank would be ultra evil.

There is one near me that is a small chunk of wood with a hole drilled in the bottom and a match stick holder stuck inside. It's about 1/2 mile hike up a steep hill in an heavily wooded area where a bunch of trees have fallen. Somehow I managed to find it with 5 minutes of my arrival at GZ.

Nope. You're mistaking 'nasty' for 'evil'. Needle in a haystack hide is just nasty. No redeeming social value. And that's what you're describing. BTW, the 3 star fake bolt in the guard rail was easy to find. It is the one with no rust on it.

Acquaintance of Desert Country in Africa has the right idea. Evil is a delight to find (after a few DNFs). Aha! You got me! But I found it anyways! Hidden in plain sight. Well camouflaged. Looks like it belongs. Now, THAT's EVIL!! Inspiration! To perdition with the rock in a pile of rocks. That's masochistic.

I am not mistaking "nasty for evil". And I am not talking about a fake bolt in a stupid guard rail either. Think artistically distressed bolt in a 100 year old beautifully converted RR bridge to walking path. A twig, in a tree so twisted and gnarled it makes you cry to stand and stare at it, never mind if it takes you five tries to find the cache. Of course Evil is a delight to find. I live for evil caches.

One of my early caches was a 3-stage multi, where the 1st stage was truely evil. A footbridge that had a bronze "Load Limit" plaque on each end. I made a frame from balsa wood, filled it with plasticine clay, and went out there and pressed it to the plaque, giving me a negative mold of it.

At home, I filled that mold with plaster of Paris. Covered that with layer upon layer of latex rubber, reinforced with fiberglass. Filled that with 2-part acrylic casting resin, embedding a tiny rare-earth magnet in each corner and a piece of paper that held the 2nd stage coordinates. Painted with several layers of paint to look like the original weathered bronze plaques. Placed it in plain site of anyone that crossed that footbridge. It was there for three years before a bridge inspector discovered it and asked for it to be removed!

That's evil.

Many of the folks I know call such needle-in-a-haystack hides "bad evil" hides, to distinguish them from the "good evil" hides that involve creative camouflage. With a "good evil" hide, there's an "Aha!" moment when you finally figure out what it is. With a "bad evil" hide, you were pretty sure it was one of those rocks, branches, knot holes, bolts, or whatever, and you're glad you finally examined the right one.

I love "good evil" hides. I'm not a fan of "bad evil" hides.

One of my early caches was a 3-stage multi, where the 1st stage was truely evil. A footbridge that had a bronze "Load Limit" plaque on each end. I made a frame from balsa wood, filled it with plasticine clay, and went out there and pressed it to the plaque, giving me a negative mold of it.

At home, I filled that mold with plaster of Paris. Covered that with layer upon layer of latex rubber, reinforced with fiberglass. Filled that with 2-part acrylic casting resin, embedding a tiny rare-earth magnet in each corner and a piece of paper that held the 2nd stage coordinates. Painted with several layers of paint to look like the original weathered bronze plaques. Placed it in plain site of anyone that crossed that footbridge. It was there for three years before a bridge inspector discovered it and asked for it to be removed!

That's evil.

Exactly the kind of cache I was talking about. Sorry if I didn't wax poetic enough in my first post about what I thought was evil.

Link to the archived Load Limit cache:

Painted with several layers of paint to look like the original weathered bronze plaques.
You wouldn't happen to have any photos, would you? That would be great to post on the CCC thread.

And yes, that sounds very "good evil"!

Sorry, but the color balance is very bad on this, but you will get the concept, I'm sure:

af039ba5-14eb-45c2-9ee1-6487fc55e5e5.jpg

Back side:

09ff45bf-bd1c-4d84-a9a7-eb99c5abcd23.jpg

Front side (those are rusty iron rivets on the upper right and lower left. Unfortunately, my plaster casting skills left air bubbles, but it still passed scrutiny for three years.

4d315ad2-9f4b-4d7c-b663-4b9929ae9f87.jpg

Edited by knowschad

Would a magnetic Nano Cache, on a 7 story steel staircase qualify??

Painted with several layers of paint to look like the original weathered bronze plaques.
You wouldn't happen to have any photos, would you? That would be great to post on the CCC thread.

Front side (those are rusty iron rivets on the upper right and lower left. Unfortunately, my plaster casting skills left air bubbles, but it still passed scrutiny for three years.

Wow, I'm impressed!

One of the most common is a magnetic hide-a-key on a tank. A nano on a tank would be ultra evil.

There is one near me that is a small chunk of wood with a hole drilled in the bottom and a match stick holder stuck inside. It's about 1/2 mile hike up a steep hill in an heavily wooded area where a bunch of trees have fallen. Somehow I managed to find it with 5 minutes of my arrival at GZ.

Didn't quite get that at first, but you mean a Military Tank, like on display at the National Guard Armory?

I guess while I'm in confession mode, I'll show the final to Frieght Train Blues, as well:

This stage was crafted by my friend Candy Apple Green:

7f63d7d3-841a-4cf7-9154-26c9fef90dd8.jpg

Total spoiler:

d7cdc399-ffda-4dae-a6fc-ca245f8e4d8a.jpg

The pencil was attached by strong fishing line to the cap of the nitroglycerine pill container that was attached to the head of the railroad spike. And the knee bone was connected to the shinbone...

Edited by knowschad

Found one recently while caching in Michigan.

Has to be around here somewhere. Ah, that thingamabob among all these other thingamabobs which has no apparent wires going to it. Untwist (after about 20 revolutions) a cap and voila it is indeed the cache. Anchored with some woodscrews it isn't likely to be muggled.

Odd thing about it. It hadn't been visited in about 2 weeks, but I bring a TB from Californy and tuck it in there and it's swarmed in a brace of days. A mate who lives in the area says it's like an FTF frenzy when an exotic TB finds its way there (Ooo! From Californy!) Welp. Hope they don't hold it too long and give it a chance to travel some more.

Has to be around here somewhere. Ah, that thingamabob among all these other thingamabobs which has no apparent wires going to it. Untwist (after about 20 revolutions) a cap and voila it is indeed the cache. Anchored with some woodscrews it isn't likely to be muggled.

Odd thing about it. It hadn't been visited in about 2 weeks, but I bring a TB from Californy and tuck it in there and it's swarmed in a brace of days. A mate who lives in the area says it's like an FTF frenzy when an exotic TB finds its way there (Ooo! From Californy!) Welp. Hope they don't hold it too long and give it a chance to travel some more.

Sounds awesome... I think. :laughing::huh: I guess it depends on what a thingamabob is.

I guess while I'm in confession mode, I'll show the final to Frieght Train Blues, as well:

This stage was crafted by my friend Candy Apple Green:

7f63d7d3-841a-4cf7-9154-26c9fef90dd8.jpg

Total spoiler:

d7cdc399-ffda-4dae-a6fc-ca245f8e4d8a.jpg

Have you ever thought of a career in the circus?

The way you are patting yourself on the back, you would be an excellent contortionist.

Just teasing you, of course...

:huh:

The way you are patting yourself on the back, you would be an excellent contortionist.

:huh:

Of course. Everyone can recognize it when you're teasing, Bittsen. You are SUCH a kidder! We all love your sense of humor.

Likewise it is obvious when you are leaving compliments. Thank you for all those compliments. Your generosity overwhelms me. I can tell that you appreciate my creativity.

Wanna hear about how the evil GC-ers muggled that last one? You'll love it, I'm sure.

[edited to add that I probably should stop posting because Bittsen will always have some sort of derogatory poison to add to anything I might post.]

Edited by knowschad

I hid this on the double yellow line of a long abandoned road. I stumped many cachers.

th_DSC_0310.jpg

This caches stumped many cachers, I remember one person made over five trips to look for this cache. The decoy was the dead Joshua Tree branches on the ground. The actual cache was ten feet above the ground.

th_Gummy-Worm.jpg

th_Seed-Pod.jpg

I hid this on the double yellow line of a long abandoned road. I stumped many cachers.

This caches stumped many cachers, I remember one person made over five trips to look for this cache. The decoy was the dead Joshua Tree branches on the ground. The actual cache was ten feet above the ground.

"Have you ever thought of a career in the circus?

The way you are patting yourself on the back, you would be an excellent contortionist."

Just teasing you, of course... :huh::laughing::yikes:

(SERIOUSLY, of course. I'm trying to make a point here to a certain person. Those look like awesome caches to me.)

Edited by knowschad

"Have you ever thought of a career in the circus?

The way you are patting yourself on the back, you would be an excellent contortionist."

Just teasing you, of course... :huh::laughing::yikes:

(SERIOUSLY, of course. I'm trying to make a point here to a certain person. Those look like awesome caches to me.)

That's better than being a contortionist for having your head stuck up... Never mind. Not making a point to anyone.

Chad's Friend and Kit Fox - very cool stuff. My best hides to date are still active so I am not going to post pictures here. Everyone who manages to find them seems to like them. Pats self on back without contorting.

In our early days we had some hides that I would now consider bad evil. But that was the way it was in Redmond in 2004. Bad evil ruled. :huh: Good evil was also abundant and both still live on.

By coincidence, I hid Vile Evil Elves Live! shortly before this thread started. I only hide a few caches each year, but I spend months planning them. Here I am seeing my efforts pay off.

I think my new cache meets some of the good definitions of an "evil cache" posted above. Read the logs and you might agree with another defining characteristic:

For a "good" evil cache, experienced finders will enjoy returning day after day to keep searching for the cache, and they will write entertaining logs. They are enjoying nice surroundings in which to conduct their search until that "aha!" moment arrives.

For a "bad" evil cache, experienced finders will walk away, never to return, muttering "THAT was an hour of my life I'll never get back."

Since we are in confession mode I'll come out with my evil hide. I took one of those yellow fluffy caccoons and sliced it open. Took out mr. wiggles (sorry mr. wiggles) and used a combo of map sealer and hair spray all over it. I made sure that it was spread open enough in the back that it clips onto the rest of the evilness. I then made a scroll log out of tyvek and a toothpick, rolled it up to fit inside a quarter inch piece of straw and then superglued the straw to a neodymium magnet. Snap on the cover/caccoon and stuck it to a guard rail. I triple checked the coords over the course of 3 days and everytime I checked (and I still do) I get the gps down to 2 feet. The guard rail sticks out from anything else so your search is right there on the end of that guard rail. Check out Swizzle's Dark Side in my profile and read some of the logs. Swizzle

Didn't quite get that at first, but you mean a Military Tank, like on display at the National Guard Armory?

Yes. A couple of years ago there was a "fill in the blank" thread where we asked to complete the following sentence: "Oh no, not another _____". Tank came up quite often.

There is also a cache near me that is a nano cache placed on old steam engine (which happens to be sitting near one of the busiest intersections in town). The train is painted black, and in fact was repainted less than a week after the cache was placed. The container is also black but that doesn't matter be you can't actually see it where it is hidden. Good Evil? Bad Evil? Most finders seem to enjoy it so I'd say good. It took me 3 hours and four attempts to finally find it.

Apparently, they stay there (Michigan) too. I launched a TB a couple of years ago that found it's way to Michigan in the first week. It was in the hands of someone for almost a year before she placed it in another cache. It's still in Michigan.

Link to the archived Load Limit cache:

Sorry, but the color balance is very bad on this, but you will get the concept, I'm sure:

af039ba5-14eb-45c2-9ee1-6487fc55e5e5.jpg

Back side:

09ff45bf-bd1c-4d84-a9a7-eb99c5abcd23.jpg

4d315ad2-9f4b-4d7c-b663-4b9929ae9f87.jpg

This is far from evil....

-more like brilliant!

Very nice! :huh:

...Have you ever thought of a career in the circus?

:D

You are a punk a** kid who's so full of himself there is no room for anything in the noggin but ego and feelings of righteous superiority to everyone you meet. Which you have to play out in public because your brand of narccisism requires self serving feedback, which means that in spite of your best efforts, You need us more than we need you.

Just kidding of course. Or at least kidding as much as you were. :D Hard to say for sure. :D

My advice is that if you want to be our equil's quit biting our heels. That's what yapper dogs do. The big dogs, Wolves and Sheepdogs alike do other things.

Maybe I'll get a time out for this post, maybe not, I am aware that this post is on the line, but it's going to take a Sheepdog to make the call on which side I'm on. Still it's worth it because I think you deserve a chance to grow up and join in. I think you have something to give this activity if you ever pull your head out and join the big dogs at the table. Or you can keep yipping at our heels.

Your call.

I've only found two evil micros in my geocaching history and hope to find more since they are ultimately so satisfying! The first was a hollowed out log with a turn off wood cap sitting next to an old aqueduct with plenty of other distracting places to look.

The second wasn't even a fake bolt but it was pretending to be magneted to a railing by a bus stop. After searching the entire bus stop bench and accidently stopping a bus on two trips, I finally found it. Evil micros frustrate you enough to come back to them and provide the satisfaction to keep me looking for them.

There's a cacher around here who does some interesting things with natural objects like acorns, pine cones, mushrooms, all kinds of different things. Some are hard and some are really hard, but they're not something you'll get frustrated at. If you DNF it, you'll want to come back and try again. Most of the caches are hidden in "clean" areas and no obvious spot for a cache.

He'll sometimes do something tricky but makes it kind of obvious at the same time - if you've done a couple of his caches and knows how he thinks. For instance, he'll put a pine cone with the pieces hand glued around a matchstick holder into a maple tree or an acorn with coords inside in a pine tree. Very easy to walk past, but if you stop and think and ask, "Why is an acorn in a pine tree" it becomes obvious.

For me, something I would classify as nasty is a nano attached to the bottom of a branch in the middle of an area littered with fallen trees all around. Some may like that kind of hide, but for me, I quickly lose interest.

Edited by Skippermark

That's better than being a contortionist for having your head stuck up... Never mind. Not making a point to anyone.

LOLOL

I just read these forums for humor. Thanks for the loud laugh today!!

I really appreciate the designations of "good evil" caches and "bad evil" caches.

Bad evil caches are micros in sensitive plant areas (trying to regrow habitat, or nice landscaped flowers, etc.) that have no clue at all. We have a lot of these here.

Bad evil are also the ones where the C.O. assumes all the DNF's are due to people not finding them, and then FINALLY checks on it and finds it gone. This happens a lot here. Or the one where the only three people who found the first stage of this cache were the CO's buddies. FINALLY after gloating for months about no one finding it, he corrected the coordinates. Everyone is finding it now. makes a difference. That's bad evil.

My city is full of "evil" micros. Just do a search on "evil" and you'll come up with the town I live in.

these caches make the magnetic key holder in the (military) tank easy. I've done that one and it took just a second. Many of these others I cannot find.

One I refuse to look for because it's at a historical site, micro in the plants/ trees with no clue. The plants are being trampled from people looking. They don't realize that when my GPS says, "accurate within 50 feet (or 80) that means it gives me a 50 (to 80) search radius. Evil hides at historical sites in nice plant area, definately BAD evil hide.

We've got one under a field of rocks here. hint: under a rock. (this is a drainage area where they put in a couple of dump loads of rocks). The only reason that isn't among my favorite to hate is that when e-mailed the CO will give you a hint. So not so bad evil. At least the guy is human. (most wont')

Or any hide in a dumpy, broken glass area behind a dumpster. Doesn't have to be evil to be bad.

Good evil, a metal plate with bolts on the guard rail. You can't find it because all the bolts are the same. My partner finally realized the bolts on this one plate didn't go through to the other side. Good evil.

A pine-cone in a tree. Good evil.

Fence post caps. Not quite evil, but still good.

Nano's on benches and tables in parks. Good evil.

Electrical outlet box on the side of an electric box. (some don't like these) good evil.

Electrical plate cover with magnets on it. Good evil.

Typical reflector placed on sign, that is magnetic, good evil.

anything you can see in plain sight that you would not recognise as a cache can be evil.

Bad is when you're really not meant to find it or if looking for it will damage the plants and surroundings. Or if the CO gloats about your not finding it.

like this one: GC11JEG

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...23-03077e3e80d2

40 finds and 60 DNF's

We did not DNF this one, although I usually do. I woudl not give him the satisfaction. I'm sure many didn't. I wonder what the real statistics are.

We've got one under a field of rocks here. hint: under a rock. (this is a drainage area where they put in a couple of dump loads of rocks).
I've found a couple "fake rock among the real rocks" caches that were done well. If you stepped back and observed for a moment, you could notice that "one of these things is not like the others" and identify the fake rock. Of course, that still doesn't stop some geocachers from turning over every single rock in their search.

It is the one with no rust on it.

Last one I found had almost the exact same amount of corrosion as the others. Uncanny it was.

The right amount of bleach and time can do wonders for rusting metal. I rusted a bolt in less than 24 hours. It looked like it had been outdoors for over a year but bought at Home Depot the day before.

The trick is that bleach doesn't cause the rust. The vapor from the bleach does. Submerged, it won't rust. Too far from the surface, it won't rust as fast.

Edited by bittsen

The right amount of bleach and time can do wonders for rusting metal. I rusted a bolt in less than 24 hours. It looked like it had been outdoors for over a year but bought at Home Depot the day before.

The trick is that bleach doesn't cause the rust. The vapor from the bleach does. Submerged, it won't rust. Too far from the surface, it won't rust as fast.

Yup. Salt added to the mix helps as well. I've used both chlorine bleach and hydrogen peroxide with success. Both of them are loaded with oxygen (the "vapor"). I believe the salt helps to release that, but there are probably some electrolytic reactions going on as well.

Edited by knowschad

Didn't realize that the 1st was a double post, so I'll share here too.

I can give an example!!!!

Actually found this..... A bison tube, cleverly placed in a small pile of fresh looking dung, in a target rich park. Had a hard time with this one for obvious reasons. I found it disturbing that I would even look there.....

It was an EVIL hide. Luv'd it!

so a pal and I are out looking for some newly published urbans, a few of which are nanos

I dont like nanos but he wanted to clear these off his list

we arrive at Park & Ride with new multi story parking lot, drive to near GZ

get out of car and we each race to make the grab

we both hit GZ at the same time and start our search, hoping to find first

few minutes later and we havent found it

then the lightbulb comes on (Just over our heads at the same time) and we both look up

there are 5 more stories for us to go search on

of course we found on the top story some 30 or so minutes later

I still hate nanos but this one really sticks out as an adventure

happy hunting

From a thread that was just closed as a duplicate of this thread:

I have one. It's called Before You Can Torment, You Must Learn to Annoy

Imagine a 4 story lava rock with all those thousands of holes for a hide and few fake hides and even a ruse container.

de0a9484-c256-4c17-abe2-ed47281a9ad1.jpg

Be careful with decoy containers like that. I've seen "replacement logs" added to more than one decoy container. Future seekers sign the "replacement logs", not realizing that they found the decoy rather than the actual cache. It's basically a variation of a throw-down cache. :laughing: