Don't keep count.

gof1

It's really useful to see the find counts. If I have a cache, and someone who has 2K find logs logs it, I go out and check. If someone with 10K finds but logs as notes finds it, I would assume it is still there because they only have LOGGED a few. I really hate it when people don't log. Even "We found it TFTC" is better than nothing. So it is great to see the found count. Same in the forums. Someone who hasn't logged very many+I don't care about their posts, there newbies. I don't think it should be implemented, and also think that everyone should log their finds. Seeing how many forum users alone don't log, I should probably just archive all my caches and commit geocide.

I wish I could make sense of this. If I had 2k finds and logged your cache you would run out and check it? Why? You think folks with high numbers steal caches? Truth is that what I am talking about is not logless caching. I write notes for most finds. Those people who cache in my area know my handle. They know how long I have been caching weather or not they see my numbers next to my name.

If you logged a DNF...

Say you had found every cache ever placed, but didn't log, and logged a DNF. Porbably wouldn't think much of it.

The way the game is played is extremely simple: log on, get the coordinates, go find the cache(s), write on the physical log, then come back and log it as found online. Easy.

Your find count displayed shouldn't be an issue unless you decide to make it one. If you don't want to be a part of the "competition" because of your numbers, then don't be! Cache for yourself, log it as found, and go on to the next without worrying about what other people think of your numbers. It's that simple. If you don't make it about the numbers, then it's not. If you choose to be bothered by it, then it IS about the numbers after all.

The part that I find interesting is how so many seem to be disinterested enough in my numbers to come in here and post why they feel I am wrong in my thinking. Folks coming in to this thread telling me that without my numbers my opinion doesn't count. Others telling me that I should just log my finds and get on with it. As I see it if I don't want to share my numbers that should be, along with my reasons, my business. Truth is I'm slowly doing just that, hiding my numbers. I would like to be able to do it simply by selecting the option but as I am stuck with the system the way it is I'll do it the hard way. What ever happened to the "everyone plays their own way" crowd?

The premise that we can play the game we want to is not entirely true. There are restrictions and guidelines that must be followed. Personally I believe that logging a find is a good thing and should be encouraged. And GOF, as you and I discussed on Gitbuff in the past in detail I still see no logical reason for not logging finds as finds.

Of course do it not as you please, I just think you are a poor lost soul in the world of numbers haha (that was an attempt at humor not a dig)

Yes Frank, we've gone around this circle several times. As of yet no one has given me a compelling reason why I should not log finds as notes instead of found its. Also no compelling reason why I should keep score of finds.

The part that I find interesting is how so many seem to be disinterested enough in my numbers to come in here and post why they feel I am wrong in my thinking. Folks coming in to this thread telling me that without my numbers my opinion doesn't count. Others telling me that I should just log my finds and get on with it. As I see it if I don't want to share my numbers that should be, along with my reasons, my business. Truth is I'm slowly doing just that, hiding my numbers. I would like to be able to do it simply by selecting the option but as I am stuck with the system the way it is I'll do it the hard way. What ever happened to the "everyone plays their own way" crowd?

Salary is another measure of achievement, and that isn't private, is it? Oh, wait... yes, come to think of it. I can't even discuss mine at work without risk of losing it altogether.