Event Cache

swizzle

I'm trying to figure out a few things here. The first thing is how to make a banner. I would like to have one letter per page and just tape the whole thing together. My computers not letting me. How do I get that started and is there any other links for activities and such. Ex: crossword, find a word, color a picture type stuff. More or less kids activities that I can print out. I found a link with make your own geocoin and kids can color in a picture in a couple big round circles, Geo-bingo and such. I just don't want to end up with a dozen cachers all standing in a circle with their hands in their pockets wondering who thought up this event. I'd like to actually try to make it a decent turnout. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx, Swizzle

Look for a program called Crossword Weaver to make your own puzzles - I use it for my mystery caches. The same company makes WordSearch software as well. A geo-bingo sheet is a great idea as it will keep the kids occupied looking for the answers, e.g. find a cacher with xx FTF's, find a cacher with a touchscreen GPS, find a cacher who has published an Earthcache in another country

I'm trying to figure out a few things here. The first thing is how to make a banner. I would like to have one letter per page and just tape the whole thing together. My computers not letting me. How do I get that started and is there any other links for activities and such. Ex: crossword, find a word, color a picture type stuff. More or less kids activities that I can print out. I found a link with make your own geocoin and kids can color in a picture in a couple big round circles, Geo-bingo and such. I just don't want to end up with a dozen cachers all standing in a circle with their hands in their pockets wondering who thought up this event. I'd like to actually try to make it a decent turnout. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx, Swizzle

Here is a smokey the bear activity resource page. It has downloadable sheets.

Smokey the BearActivities

Your event sounds like fun and I would like to offer some encouragement.

Don't stress to much about providing activities at your event. For the most part when cachers get together they want to share caching adventures. They will stand and talk about caches they have found and those that elude them. Any worksheets, activities and other diversions you provide will, while be enjoyable, probably not get as much use as you think they might and are just icing on the cake.

I don't think its going to be a huge turnout. Right now only 3 people are watching it. I was planning on hiding a few caches just for the event. An evil micro night cache and an underwater night cache, a micro, a traditional and a backwards cache. I printed out a bunch of the bingo sheets then I see that they are all the same. There's 2 different ones on a sheet but all the sheets are the same. I doubt I'll even use them. Well at least I have plenty of fire starter and it looks like I'll need it. Its downpouring right now. This afternoon and tomorrow look good and there may be scattered thunderstorms on sunday. Originally I was planning on just talking to a couple cachers about setting up the blue line geocachers caching group. I really wasn't expecting this to be all games. Some of the caches I set up for the event may turn into perment caches in the near future. I have a purpose for this event and I don't want to lose my focus on it because I'm trying to set up bozo's ring toss and pin the tail on the cacher. Thanx for the encouragement and all of the advice. Swizzle

I had a look at your event page. :huh:

I think one problem with it is that you only got it published just a couple of weeks beforehand. Now, I don't know anything about your local area, or the number of local cachers around you, but you might have got more folks to sign up if they'd had 2 or 3 months notice instead. Maybe many already had their holiday plans sorted for that weekend well in advance and were unable to attend? (Just guessing and suggesting here.)

Don't be discouraged, though.

Did you put a link to your event on your local geocaching forum? Perhaps you can find out how much interest there would be in your idea by posting your ideas on the local forum first. :laughing:

MrsB

Your cache page mentions hiding, "CITO caches". CITO is an event to do some kind of clean-up, it's not a physical cache.

You use an acronym ADK, I have no idea what that is, and neither do some of the other cachers reading your page.

Is 4x drive necessary to find the event? is there a link you could provide for a map of Forest roads?

The easier you make finding the event, the more information you provide, the more folks will show up.

Good luck!

I mentioned the CITO caches as a future plan for several areas around the ADK (Adirondacks). The reason I posted it only 2 weeks ago is because I didn't want a huge turn out. The spot I'm hosting this only has room for about 20 people if everyones camping. Once I get this event under my belt then I should have a good idea as to what I want to do next year. I probably should have made it by RSVP so I'd know exactly who is coming and then be able to limit the amount of people. Hopefully I'll have at least one other cacher there that's hosted an event before that can give me a few pointers. Next year I'll be sure that the planning for the event starts at least 2 months ahead of time. Swizzle

The Blue Line was a purposed line around an area of land that was to be protected. The man responsible for creatng the Ble Line is in my anscestory. His name is Verplanck Colvin. That land is now known as the Adirondacks or ADK for short. So now I want to use my GPS to CITO the ADK, ASAP. Swizzle