How to make your own travel bugs?

dubulskuls

I'd like to make my own travel bugs. How can I otain a number from geocaching.com or other trustworthy and popular travel bug site?

You buy travel bug dog tags from the Groundspeak "Shop for Gear" link on the gc.com site. You can then use the number on the tag any way you want.

I'd like to make my own travel bugs. How can I otain a number from geocaching.com or other trustworthy and popular travel bug site?

You buy travel bug dog tags from the Groundspeak "Shop for Gear" link on the gc.com site. You can then use the number on the tag any way you want.

Yep, the GS shop is a great place to purchase TBs & the least expensive.

for TB tags i have found some great deals on ebay and they are cheaper than the Groundspeak store, you just to look & price out for shipping, etc...

If you purchase a TB on ebay, you will want to make sure it wasn't something stolen from a cache, and already activated. It happens. Buyer beware.

If you live near an REI store, order it from them. You get FREE shipping to the store. It usually takes anywheres from 4 to 10 days to get it. It saves you a few bucks on shipping such a small item.

Nobody answered the question though. It can be done, and I have seen user created ones.....how does a person create one? I want to know too

To have it tracked on this site you'll have to purchase a gc.com issued tracking number. No vanity plates.

You can use free sites but you won't get any feedback unless the finder is willing to log in and make a report.

Trust me on this, gc.com has a hard enough time with bugs. If you want cheaper and less angst, go with something like bookcrossing.

Otherwise, pony up.

edit: extra b

Edited by BlueDeuce

I purchased blank tags and a Dremel Engraver and went to town!

I put my email address on them and attached them to some swag.

Also engraved "travel tag" on them and gave them each a special number with the date.

So far one has made it to New Jersey from Ohio so not doing too bad and

saving lots of money.

Must admit though, half the fun is just making them!

My next "no frills" item will be a "travel chip."

Hope this helps.

Peace

Geo

I bought a metal/wood stamping set from Harbor Freight for about $15. It comes with all the number and letters to stamp metal or wood tags or coins if you have a hammer at home. Right now, I'm cutting round wooden coins out of red oak with a hole saw, stamping them, and staining them. Like others said, you need to purchase the Travel Bug tags with unique codes from Groundspeak, but you can stamp that code on anything once you own it.

HPClays

I bought a metal/wood stamping set from Harbor Freight for about $15. It comes with all the number and letters to stamp metal or wood tags or coins if you have a hammer at home. Right now, I'm cutting round wooden coins out of red oak with a hole saw, stamping them, and staining them. Like others said, you need to purchase the Travel Bug tags with unique codes from Groundspeak, but you can stamp that code on anything once you own it.

HPClays

It would be nice if you could just buy the code and not have to pay for the actual tag and shipping. Is that possible?

HPClays

It would be nice if you could just buy the code and not have to pay for the actual tag and shipping. Is that possible?

No... it is the code that you are paying for..... use of the system. The actual tag is only a "tag-along"... something that holds/displays that number.

HPClays

No... it is the code that you are paying for..... use of the system. The actual tag is only a "tag-along"... something that holds/displays that number.

Thanks.