Anyone ever lose a coin from their collection?

ECplus3

I've been putting together an album of all my Dutch coins and have discovered that a number of them have gone missing. :lol: Admittedly I am not the most organized person in the world, but I do try to keep all of my coins not currently in albums sorted away into their proper box: Dutch, other keepers, traders, mine.

The most aggravating thing is that one of them I just received in the mail last week! I didn't even get a chance to photograph it.

At the moment I am missing:

Saffier and Stekelsteef bronze (diving helmet)

Geopatra's Cachedorado copper

Geopatra's Cachedorado silver

I just hope they turn up soon... before I actually have to tidy up I mean! :D

A word to the wise here......

THINK.......... who were the last few people that you KNOW saw your coins (friends, neighbors, their kids -- it doesn't matter)? Now, when was the last time that they were there since you last saw your coins?

You can see where I am going with this -- and I know your friends would never steal from you.

As a retired investigator, I will tell you that the usual 'culprits' are: 1 - relatives; 2 - friends (usually their kids, or your kids' friends); 3 - strangers, in that order!

Now, I am not saying that you should accuse anyone of taking them. Just that if you feel there is the slightest possibility of that, be more careful in the future when they are about.

I sincerely hope that your coins are just misplaced, and that you do find them :lol::) .

Twenty-five years of asking a victim about who that last people that saw an item was, usually revealed the culprit (even though I was always met with "Oh, they would never take anything from me"). SURPRISE!

Just food for thought. Good luck on finding your misplaced coins.

When you are done cleaning/straightening up, I have a job for you :D

Ive been doing a whole bunch of home renovations lately & had decided to grab my cluster of coins & put them in a ziplock for the time being.. I had mistakenly left a Clan Doyle Penny on the computer desk & had noticed it the next day... Lazily I said - Ill put that in the bad later, well later never came & a few days after I could find the coin anymore. Been a few weeks & I've started to put my living room back together & still no sign of it.. My 1st coin lost in the house...

I've found that with lost coins, as with caches, they always turn up in the last place I look!! :lol::D

On a serious note.... I tend to lose coins when I forget to jot down the ones I give away. A must with trading and giving away and even activating coins is to keep a database religiously up to date, like balancing a checkbook. Enter every coin that comes in and note to each one that goes out.

Losing the Saffier and Stekelsteef bronze (diving helmet) has definitely gotta hurt.

Edited by Droo

Not exactly lost, but I did have a coin I had just traded for, fall behind the cup holder in my trailblazer...being the good coiner that I try to be, I tore apart the entire plastic assembly so I could retrieve the coin...2 cuts, and a little foul language later, I had the coin in hand, along with 4 long lost chiro-cache pathtags!

ILYK

The only problem is that tidying up takes time away from caching fun. One has to get one's priorities straight! So now you have a clash in priorities, and I can see your problem. LOL. Good luck with that. Let us know where they turn up.

I like the bonus of tearing apart the car dashboard, only to find more than you lost. That's priceless.

I've been putting together an album of all my Dutch coins and have discovered that a number of them have gone missing. :huh: Admittedly I am not the most organized person in the world, but I do try to keep all of my coins not currently in albums sorted away into their proper box: Dutch, other keepers, traders, mine.

The most aggravating thing is that one of them I just received in the mail last week! I didn't even get a chance to photograph it.

I just hope they turn up soon... before I actually have to tidy up I mean! :laughing:

That stinks. Reminds me of a task though, that I was going to undertake. Get rid of some old Dutch coins that I thought were lost, but weren't. hint hint . . .

I've been putting together an album of all my Dutch coins and have discovered that a number of them have gone missing. :huh: Admittedly I am not the most organized person in the world, but I do try to keep all of my coins not currently in albums sorted away into their proper box: Dutch, other keepers, traders, mine.

I just hope they turn up soon... before I actually have to tidy up I mean! :laughing:

That stinks. Reminds me of a task though, that I was going to undertake. Get rid of some old Dutch coins that I thought were lost, but weren't. hint hint . . .

Old??

Dutch??

Coins??

Rid??

Get??

(sorry, Spongebob was channeling through me for a minute)

But do tell!! :yikes:

Yes I have lost a few and searched everywhere including vacuuming in the couch. I was too embarrassed to ask for another trade at first for one of them. Finally I decided to ask and got their last one! Its been over a year and still no sign of those 2 coins. I have also "lost" some at events unfortunately. If its only been a couple of weeks I don't yet consider them lost.

The only problem is that tidying up takes time away from caching fun. One has to get one's priorities straight! So now you have a clash in priorities, and I can see your problem. LOL. Good luck with that. Let us know where they turn up.

I like the bonus of tearing apart the car dashboard, only to find more than you lost. That's priceless.

When I worked in retail, one spot was always neglected in the inventory counting. UNDER the botton drawer in the cabinets!!We would sometimes find hundreds of dollars in merchandise that had fallen down there.

I lose things in my truck all the time. Part of the reason I'm always behind on my mailing...Where did I put those supplies?? My truck is too cluttered! Once I had to buy new laundry soap, because I couldn't find the one I bought the week before. I lost someone elses TB for about two years in here. It was in the bottom of a box of Misc. way in the back under the bunk. It ended up there when I moved into this new truck.

oH, and my old pickip at the other job?? I lost my GPS for so long that I had to buy a new one. It was way under the passenger seat???

I'm pretty sure half my geocoin collection is lost in my house:) I find unopened envelopes that are over a year old, lol. I should be shot, I know! I find coins under the couch cushions, under boxes, in boxes, under paperwork.... it's a never-ending story of lost and found coins here. :huh:

I recently thought my GPSr was lost and I looked everywhere then I figured it got stolen cause I remembered it lying on the dash of my truck for a good week. So after I looked everywhere, I bought a new one begrudgingly. 3 weeks later after I had stewed over the person who stole my GPSr, I was cleaning the house and it was in a backpack that I never use :laughing: I'm 99.99% positive that the person who stole it got into my home and put it in the backpack I never use.

I'm pretty sure half my geocoin collection is lost in my house:) I find unopened envelopes that are over a year old, lol. I should be shot, I know! I find coins under the couch cushions, under boxes, in boxes, under paperwork.... it's a never-ending story of lost and found coins here. :laughing:

I recently thought my GPSr was lost and I looked everywhere then I figured it got stolen cause I remembered it lying on the dash of my truck for a good week. So after I looked everywhere, I bought a new one begrudgingly. 3 weeks later after I had stewed over the person who stole my GPSr, I was cleaning the house and it was in a backpack that I never use :yikes: I'm 99.99% positive that the person who stole it got into my home and put it in the backpack I never use.

That same person broke into my house and took the leftover slice of pizza I was going to have for lunch! :huh:

I bought a new one begrudgingly. 3 weeks later after I had stewed over the person who stole my GPSr, I was cleaning the house and it was in a backpack that I never use :laughing: I'm 99.99% positive that the person who stole it got into my home and put it in the backpack I never use.

That persons relative definitely lives near us.... :yikes:

"Sue, ...who stole my ......{Fill in the blank}"

Steph, ...I'll come out and clean your house for ya... :huh:

I misplace coins all the time. I set them aside so I won't forget them and then forget where I set them aside... but I know at least I set them aside. My basement is now the Avroair Geocoin Trading and Collections Staging area since no one else walks off with them down there! :D

I recently lost a bag of about a dozen coins, took me over a week to find it. Worse yet, I somehow managed to lose one of our GPS's. I know it's either in the house or RV but I'll be danged if I can find it!

I lost a GPS once...I was convinced that I left it at a cache. My poor husband visited the cache to make sure (after I tore apart the house and car). I eventually found it wrapped up in a scarf, placed inside a hat that I had on when we searched for the cache.

I have never been worried when I can't immediately put my hand on a particular coin as they normally turn up fairly quickly. I am pretty good about keeping them in only a small number of spots to cut down on the searching.

However, I did misplace another cacher's travelling coin somehow and I was absolutely SICK to my stomach thinking I had lost it. I went back to every cache I had visited the day I lost it and ended up finding it in my house somewhere. Now I never take other people's coins out of my swag bag and if I take it out to let someone discover it, then it goes back in right away. I was in a cold sweat over that one!

...I find unopened envelopes that are over a year old, lol. I should be shot, I know!

OMG!!!! That is just so wrong!! How could you not open geocoin packages?? I suppose things might be different if you go to GeocoinFests and events and such like and see the coins you want, then trade or buy - they wouldn't be quite as exciting maybe?

But yes, I lose geocoins (hard to imagine isn't it?). It is never me though. It's my Piglet. He gets a gleam in his eye when he sees my coins, and takes those that catch his fancy. I have found them behind couch cushions (Tiki Lord Pomsby - that was a heartbreak I can tell you!!), stashed in Piglet's room (the Porsche 911 coins) and in the lounge room among the toys in his toy box (all of Karma's coins).

I have never had one stolen from an event (touching wood, and crossing my fingers), so I count myself lucky there.

:unsure:

I think another one is missing :blink:

I have the Team Myth gold marked off as 'acquired' on my coin list, but I have two antique silver in my binder. So, I don't know if I just mistook one of the antique silver for a gold (not likely), or if I've lost the gold one!