Best cache

Spawned and inspired by another thread, What is your favorite cache or caching experience?

I was in eastern Oregon doing the DeLorme with my family, miles from anything and had to detour 45 miles to get gas. Saw a cache 10 miles south or Jordan Valley near the Idaho Border. Tiny Columns is the name, great little cache and very interesting location. It is the smallet example of columular basalt in the world. Not to mention the drive to get there, almost running out of gas in the middle of the desert.

Or, Idaho near Hells Canyon is a giant dead pine tree that is the grave marker for a young pioneer girl who died on the Oregon Trail. Very cool bit of history when you read the historical marker at the sight. Without Geocaching, I never would have seen it.

Share your great adventures here.

My favorite so far was the one I saved for my 500th find milestone: ANX: The Angle of Eternity

It's part of workerofwood's Assume Nothing series (ANX = Assume Nothing 10), and is a puzzle multi-cache. It starts with a clever twist on a cliche hide style, and then you go from stage to stage, finding and solving physical puzzles, and finding cleverly camouflaged non-puzzle stages. It's a great adventure for a small group, and can easily take a few hours, start to finish.

I've heard from geocachers I trust that AN11 and AN12 are even better than ANX. I'll probably save one of those for my 1000th find milestone. Another fun puzzle multi-cache for a small group is Venonium 263.

In the "evil camouflage" category, I found The Brink of Insanity as my 666th find. 'Nuf said. icon_twisted.gif

I like caches based primarily on where they take me. As the list on my profile indicates, there are almost too many to name, both locally and while on vacation. Hikes taken on a recent trip to Zion and Bryce for earthcaches would currently be among my favorites because they are fresh in my mind. Two of the interns at work were having a conversation today about Peru, and that brought to mind a cache we found at Hyana Picchu, the peak overlooking Machu Picchu.

But one that stands out was a rainy day in Italy. I really wanted to do a cache at the Catacombs so that I could write a log about the site, but that particular area was closed when we were there. So while my wife waited at the bus stop, I climbed up on a rock and decided to jump the fence. After climbing over, I had to wait while someone rode their bicycle down the path below, unlocked the gate and left. Then I went to make the quick find, losing my umbrella somewhere along the way and putting a small rip in my pants on the barbed wire as I climbed back over. My wife said the person across the street was looking at me incredulously. She pointed out that we had missed the bus and was not that sympathetic with me when I went to get a new umbrella. I suppose if anybody had stopped me it would have been difficult -- just another overeager tourist in search of a picture. And in the end, I don't remember that my log was that good. Still, it was an adventure.

Edited by Erickson

I couldnt say I have a #1 favorite, but one that I found lately was "Stewart Homestead" GC153A7 . It and old "Florida Cracker" homestead with not much standing but an old shed/house some concrete slabs and the burial site of the couple who were AXE MURDERED there. YIKES!

This cache is Waaaay out in the "Green Swamp" and there is normaly no one around anywhere. Its a little creepy standing there by yourself. It does not get visited very often, my log is the latest right now, check it out.

Though not necessarily the 'best' cache I've ever found, my absolute favourite cache and caching experience was my 600th cache - 'Subway Cache' in Rochester, NY.

The only thing that frightened me, was that I could taste copper when I blew my nose afterwards...

BrianDiane's 'What's Missing?' is another favourite

Edited by Taoiseach

Spawned and inspired by another thread, What is your favorite cache or caching experience?

I was in eastern Oregon doing the DeLorme with my family, miles from anything and had to detour 45 miles to get gas. Saw a cache 10 miles south or Jordan Valley near the Idaho Border. Tiny Columns is the name, great little cache and very interesting location. It is the smallet example of columular basalt in the world. Not to mention the drive to get there, almost running out of gas in the middle of the desert.

Or, Idaho near Hells Canyon is a giant dead pine tree that is the grave marker for a young pioneer girl who died on the Oregon Trail. Very cool bit of history when you read the historical marker at the sight. Without Geocaching, I never would have seen it.

Share your great adventures here.

I filled up my 4X4 pickup in Jordan Valley one morning in 2006 and went way past Tiny Columns to a cache named Five Bar. I made sure that the guy at the gas station knew where I was going and that he could expect me back that day. I drove the truck 18 miles in 4WD low range that day. Wading across the Owyhee and finding an empty can of Fuller's boiled linseed oil in the abandoned cabin were more fun than finding the cache.

Another fun one was Cougar Rock east of LaGrande, OR. Nobody has logged it since September 2006, I don't know why.

Upon the recommendation of South of Libya's Pal while I was up in the midwest a few weeks ago I went to the Holly Shrine virtual cache. It's probably the most striking and memorable example of geocaching taking me somewhere to see something that I never would have even known to look for or even how to look for. The path to the shrine is completely unmarked:

IMG_1117.jpg

And the shrine itself is small but is an absolutely breathtakingly immediate connection to a piece of music history that has been indelibly etched into our cultural consciousness...

IMG_1102.jpg

It sticks out at this point as one highlight of my caching career :huh:

Hi,

I love these type of topics as I often look to them for unique/creative ideas when building my own caches.

To that, I'll share two of my favorites, without giving too much away from how they work.

My favorite is a cache in St. Louis MO, called "Power Tools" (GC1837Q) that requires one to walk through the woods to WP1, pickup provided tools and travel to Final where the tools are creatively used to trigger an electronic locking mechanism that opens the final cache container.

Second Runner Up is "Enlighten Me"( GC1G5XG) that requires the cacher to bring their own 9-volt battery! The WP1 is a bird house that has only a slit the size of a credit card in the front of the box. The box has a trap door that drops down a half dozen wires, and the cacher must use their battery and a correct combination of wires to illuminate the LED bulb on the inside. (resistors are in place to prevent too powerful of a battery from blowing the bulb). Once illuminated (or enlightened) one can look through the slit and find the Final Coordinates written on the inside.

xx75vulcan

Although there wasn't an epic trek or a ureka moment invloved with this one, for some reason it still sticks in my mind as one of my favorites - It is a virtual located in a built up area of old Québec City that has lots of structures practically touching each other, and one old tree that seems almost out of place amongst the canopy of concrete and asphalt. The tree was struck at the base by a cannonball which damaged but did not kill the tree. Over the years the tree grew around the cannonball...

This is something I never would have found if it wasn't for geocaching. Here's a link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...bb-78bcc56df79a