new to this

hi,

i just got a etrex summit hc for christmas and i would like to do the geocaching but i have a small problem.. i really don't know much about using a gps and i don't know where to begin... i would like to spend sometime with someone who can show me how to set it up and read and understand it. i would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

thanks

unsure in ny

Hi and welcome to Geocaching :lol:

The very VERY first thing you need to do is to read the GPSr's owners manual cover-to-cover! Be sure you know WELL how the device works, BEFORE starting to use it for something like Geocaching.

Yep there is a bit of a learning curve to Geocaching lol. It's hot huge though, take your time step by step. Read the owners manual! :D

Learn how to enter a waypoint.

Enter a waypoint (coordinates) into your unit.

Use the compass screen and follow the arrow!

You will probably want to get a basic idea of the location before you drive there. It's hard to visualize that 7.2 SE is Wapoochee park. Look on the geocache page first and then you will know where to go to start your fun.

hi,

i just got a etrex summit hc for christmas and i would like to do the geocaching but i have a small problem.. i really don't know much about using a gps and i don't know where to begin... i would like to spend sometime with someone who can show me how to set it up and read and understand it. i would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

thanks

unsure in ny

Merry Christmas, in July. :lol:

Another suggestion, go to the Garmin website and download the user's manual for the Vista c (a discontinued model) - the functions of that unit are the same as yours. The manual is much more comprehensive than the manual that comes with the current units.