GEO COINS

Wrgwayandhobolos

can someone tell me about GeoCoins i have found a few in caches but i am not sure if i am supposed to do anything with them or not. are they just for your own personal collection? are they like TB? thanks for any help on the matter

For the majority of coins, they're like TBs.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoinfaq.aspx

There are also non trackable coins, and some that's trackable at an alternate site. Finally, there's the very rare unactivated geocoin that is meant for you (usually reserved for FTF prizes).

I have begun to make it a habit to grab a geocoin when I see one in a cache. That way when I get home and look it up, I will know if it has been activated yet or not. If it has been, I will log it and plan on placing it in another cache as soon as I am able. I have yet to find the rare unactivated one yet........ :lol:

can someone tell me about GeoCoins i have found a few in caches but i am not sure if i am supposed to do anything with them or not.

Most importantly keep the coins moving! If you pick up a geocoin you first need to log it online. You should try to drop it into another cache usually within 2 weeks. Then also log online that you dropped it.

are they just for your own personal collection?

No... someone else (the majority of the time) owns the coin.

are they like TB?

Yes... all trackables (TBs & GCs) are meant to travel. Sometimes they even have a mission.

Hope this helps. :lol:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoinfaq.aspx

Well I have 2 geocoins that I have taken from caches but I see nothing on them that indicates they need to be logged but I did put one in another cache. So my next question. What do you do with the ones that are not trackable?

Did the coins have a tracking# on them?

Well I have 2 geocoins that I have taken from caches but I see nothing on them that indicates they need to be logged but I did put one in another cache.

Is this one of the geocoins you retrieved & dropped?

Nevermind... that coin hasn't been seen since June 2008. :lol:

Edited by mfamilee

Well I have 2 geocoins that I have taken from caches but I see nothing on them that indicates they need to be logged but I did put one in another cache. So my next question. What do you do with the ones that are not trackable?

Just a few words of caution when looking for tracking numbers on geocoins. Sometimes they are very obvious and even a partially blind person like me can't miss them. However, due to some geocoins having a lot of very intricate detail work on them sometimes it's hard to find some tiny letters and numbers hid among all the details. Also, make sure to check around the outside edge of the coins. Sometimes the tracking number is on the outer edge so that it won't interfere with the design on the geocoin. Also, the tracking numbers are not only very small in font size, but sometimes the numbers are engraved in super thin lettering and not engraved in boldly like other coins. So the bottom line is to closely scrutinize every geocoin you find because it may be a lot harder to see the tracking number than what you are expecting.