Lowrance Endura Out&Back

Thanks plumbrokeacres. Are you noticing lengthy startup and acquisition times (on the order of 1.5 minutes) or significant delays (up to several seconds) in response to inputs?

Yes to Startup input times don't seem too bad though it takes quite a while to load 300+ Mp3's

I'd say my biggest beef other than the lack of mapping(why I can't use my mapcreate maps boggles my mind)

is trying to set a new waypoint for my cache hides I can input the waypoints set it as a geocache but when I try to verify the cords are good it Pops up "You have Arrived" within 30' and stops navigating.

Thanks. I'm trying to verify that what I'm seeing is normal before I post a review. Hopefully, I'll have it up in the next week or so.

I currently own two lowrances the ifinder expedition C & the Endura Safari The Safari has great potential I love the mp3, Video, Paperless and filtering features of the unit.

Mapping, adding Geocaching waypoints, and the spotty behavior under trees are a couple beefs.

I'm hoping they will do some updates to fix the problems soon.

Thanks plumbrokeacres. Are you noticing lengthy startup and acquisition times (on the order of 1.5 minutes) or significant delays (up to several seconds) in response to inputs?

Yes to Startup input times don't seem too bad though it takes quite a while to load 300+ Mp3's

I'd say my biggest beef other than the lack of mapping(why I can't use my mapcreate maps boggles my mind)

is trying to set a new waypoint for my cache hides I can input the waypoints set it as a geocache but when I try to verify the cords are good it Pops up "You have Arrived" within 30' and stops navigating.

The more I hear about the Enduras the more I get the impression they are a few steps behind the iFinders. Other than the paperless function and a dubious touch screen, I can't see they have much to offer. Reading about them here has done one thing for me though. It has caused me to appreciate more my H20C and the MapCreate software.

Interesting review. Thanks. The more I learn about these units the less I like them. No averaging? No projection? 100' - 500' contours? Geeze... Even the H20C has averaging and projection features. MapCreate's contour level is around 50'. In my world 100' contours would be pretty much useless.

The Map Select site seems to be working now.

Unfortunately they get into your wallet pretty good over there. eTopo and Imagery are the same as the Delorme offerings of that type but also offer the BLM series of maps also. In general terms the pricing seems pretty obscene.

Example: for Colorado Imagery at $5 per grid or quad (same price for the eTopo 7.5 min quads or BLM quads) for the first 45 grids (the max they can show in thier price list) is $225 ( or 1792 7.5 min quadrangle grids or maps x $5/grid = $8960 for the whole state PER SERIES OF MAP TYPE!!!) vs. the Delorme price (DVD price) is $99 for non-members or $50 for members (people who have purchased their products) FOR THE ENTIRE STATE.

If there's something I'm not seeing on this page that reflects other discounted pricing, then I'll apologize now but good grief, thats god aweful pricing.

I had thoughts of getting one of the Sierra's sometime in the future once they'd worked the bugs out but it looks like unless my maps from Delorme are able to be adapted to the Lowrance protocol, that purchase has just been put on indefinite HOLD!

So the unzipped PQ must be loaded directly to the unit. It will not read a gpx file from GSAK?

I've only tried one - and it worked fine - however - I've seen others complain that it will not read them - It may be really dependant on GSAK settings.

I have a demo model of the Safari and am helping to test and provide feedback to Lowrance. There is a software bug that makes the unit not always recognize a .gpx file if the unit does not have a satellite lock. Go outside and get a signal, and the unit suddenly finds the cache file. It's an intermittent thing; works some days without a signal, but not others. Lowrance is aware of the issue.

GPX files can be straight from the PQ or from GSAK. They both work fine, other than the aforementioned bug.

So the unzipped PQ must be loaded directly to the unit. It will not read a gpx file from GSAK?

I've only tried one - and it worked fine - however - I've seen others complain that it will not read them - It may be really dependant on GSAK settings.

I have a demo model of the Safari and am helping to test and provide feedback to Lowrance. There is a software bug that makes the unit not always recognize a .gpx file if the unit does not have a satellite lock. Go outside and get a signal, and the unit suddenly finds the cache file. It's an intermittent thing; works some days without a signal, but not others. Lowrance is aware of the issue.

GPX files can be straight from the PQ or from GSAK. They both work fine, other than the aforementioned bug.

I appreciate the response but it's now a mute point. When I posted the query I was still considering purchasing an Endura. Based on the poor reviews, etc. I am thankful I didn't.

Anyone know if this will work with a Mac? I reviewed the owner's manual at the lowrance website but it doesn't say.

Could someone summarize the options for adding extra maps to this unit? Are these options available with a mac? Would map files from www. gpsfiledepot.com work?

Thanks!

Anyone know if this will work with a Mac? I reviewed the owner's manual at the lowrance website but it doesn't say.

Could someone summarize the options for adding extra maps to this unit? Are these options available with a mac? Would map files from www. gpsfiledepot.com work?

Thanks!

Don't know if it will work with a mac but my Ubuntu machine recognized it and I was able to upload my find logs to Groundspeak today.

I saw this too. It's ridiculous. With my iFinder H2O, I could easily add whole states to my GPS. Set it and forget it. The pricing of $5.00 per Quad in insane. No way I'm going to pay that! Do Delorme maps work in the Enduras?

Unfortunately they get into your wallet pretty good over there. eTopo and Imagery are the same as the Delorme offerings of that type but also offer the BLM series of maps also. In general terms the pricing seems pretty obscene.

Example: for Colorado Imagery at $5 per grid or quad (same price for the eTopo 7.5 min quads or BLM quads) for the first 45 grids (the max they can show in thier price list) is $225 ( or 1792 7.5 min quadrangle grids or maps x $5/grid = $8960 for the whole state PER SERIES OF MAP TYPE!!!) vs. the Delorme price (DVD price) is $99 for non-members or $50 for members (people who have purchased their products) FOR THE ENTIRE STATE.

If there's something I'm not seeing on this page that reflects other discounted pricing, then I'll apologize now but good grief, thats god aweful pricing.

I had thoughts of getting one of the Sierra's sometime in the future once they'd worked the bugs out but it looks like unless my maps from Delorme are able to be adapted to the Lowrance protocol, that purchase has just been put on indefinite HOLD!

I saw this too. It's ridiculous. With my iFinder H2O, I could easily add whole states to my GPS. Set it and forget it. The pricing of $5.00 per Quad in insane. No way I'm going to pay that! Do Delorme maps work in the Enduras?

I'm guessing they do, it's probably just going to require knowing the conversion protocol for the file types, if necessary.

Thanks!

Yes, you can use the Endura GPSr's with a Mac, they do not require any proprietary software. When the Endura units are connected to a computer they will show up as a Mass Storage Device.

Extra maps can be added either using the MapSelect.com site or you can purchase preloaded regional microSD cards with topographic maps using 20ft contours. No map files from www.gpsfiledepot.com will not work.

I hope this helps!

I'm hoping some Lowrance Endura owners can help me track down a problem with GPX files. I'm the author of EasyGPS and GeoBuddy, and I'm starting to see reports that the GPX files created by the Endura GPS receivers have a technical flaw in them that prevents their use in some software.

If you own a Lowrance Endura or other model that saves GPX data, could you send Waypoints.gpx or any other GPX file created by the GPS to me at support@easygps.com ? I'd be eternally grateful. If there is a problem with the Lowrance output, this would give me a chance to report it to Lowrance so they can correct it in future firmware.

[i need the GPX file as saved to the data card by the GPS - before it's been opened or edited in any software on your computer.]

Thanks,

Dan Foster

support@easygps.com

Dan - the 1.2 firmware upgrade should have fixed all of the GPX file issues that you were experiencing. It can be found at http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Produ...ftware-Updates/

I hope this helps!

Ok - its here!! About 20 minutes ago.

First off - it is just a tad bit bigger than I expected. Its a bit heavier than my Colorado 300. Batteries go in behind a very garmin etrex like cover. The bottom has a USB port and the sd slot with a rubber cover. Powered up quick and locked onto the sats within just about 45 seconds.

The initial basemap is far more detailed than a Garmin but still lacking many local streets. It does have some POI's loaded as nearby gas stations and motels popped up.

The combo touch screen/button interface is easy enough to be fairly intuitive to use. A backlight comes on with each button press for 15 secs but can be adjusted in the settings. Without the autobacklight up and running - the screen is every bit as dim as my Oregon 200 without backlight. :rolleyes:

Loaded up a few caches - very easy - just drop the GPXs into the [drive:]\gpx folder while it is hooked to the PC.

Off to try those....more later.

How do I get a GPX file? I can't figure it out.

Ok - its here!! About 20 minutes ago.

First off - it is just a tad bit bigger than I expected. Its a bit heavier than my Colorado 300. Batteries go in behind a very garmin etrex like cover. The bottom has a USB port and the sd slot with a rubber cover. Powered up quick and locked onto the sats within just about 45 seconds.

The initial basemap is far more detailed than a Garmin but still lacking many local streets. It does have some POI's loaded as nearby gas stations and motels popped up.

The combo touch screen/button interface is easy enough to be fairly intuitive to use. A backlight comes on with each button press for 15 secs but can be adjusted in the settings. Without the autobacklight up and running - the screen is every bit as dim as my Oregon 200 without backlight. :rolleyes:

Loaded up a few caches - very easy - just drop the GPXs into the [drive:]\gpx folder while it is hooked to the PC.

Off to try those....more later.

How do I get a GPX file? I can't figure it out.

First off - you need to be a premium member.

first off i like the big touch screen and buttons making the interface. I had to upgrade the software to use it.

It is a pretty intuitive in operation and easy to upload geocahe files. But after using it now for two weekends it seems that the accuracy leaves much to be improved for something touted to have a highly sensitive gps reciever with WAAS too so i aam stumped there. some times i get to the sight and sometimes i cant get any closer than 13 feet. I guess i still have a learning curve on this one.

first off i like the big touch screen and buttons making the interface. I had to upgrade the software to use it.

It is a pretty intuitive in operation and easy to upload geocahe files. But after using it now for two weekends it seems that the accuracy leaves much to be improved for something touted to have a highly sensitive gps reciever with WAAS too so i aam stumped there. some times i get to the sight and sometimes i cant get any closer than 13 feet. I guess i still have a learning curve on this one.

Basing accuracy judgments on geocache coordinates is less than scientific. The Endura units have a margin of error of three meters which is I believe the industry standard for commercial grade handheld GPS devices.

13 feet is no too bad for any gps.

EnduraExpert - can you verify if the Endura Series GPSrs have any difficulty with the hidden files that OS X places onto mounted volumes?? :P As a related example, when I mount my Garmin 60Cx as a mass storage volume and then unmount it, the GPS ceases to function because Garmin cannot deal with the hidden files that were placed onto the mounted memory card. I have to delete the files via Terminal before disconnecting the unit and then I have no difficulties. Any information is appreciated on this matter. Thank you!

Yes, you can use the Endura GPSr's with a Mac, they do not require any proprietary software. When the Endura units are connected to a computer they will show up as a Mass Storage Device.

EnduraExpert - can you verify if the Endura Series GPSrs have any difficulty with the hidden files that OS X places onto mounted volumes?? :P As a related example, when I mount my Garmin 60Cx as a mass storage volume and then unmount it, the GPS ceases to function because Garmin cannot deal with the hidden files that were placed onto the mounted memory card. I have to delete the files via Terminal before disconnecting the unit and then I have no difficulties. Any information is appreciated on this matter. Thank you!

The Endura units do not have any problems dealing with the hidden files that a MAC will place on a connected Mass Storage Device.

My boss is a devoted MAC user and we have alot of comprehensive testing done with the Endura and MAC's.

I hope this helps.

Thank you! That is exciting news. For the most part, GPSrs are still in the PC world for compatibility and connectivity. It is promising to hear that the Endura series play nice with both sides! :P Thanks for your on going support and responses in this forum. I think it goes a long way to promote customer/cacher relations with the GPS companies; it sure makes me consider the Endura line up all the more closely.

The Endura units do not have any problems dealing with the hidden files that a MAC will place on a connected Mass Storage Device.

My boss is a devoted MAC user and we have alot of comprehensive testing done with the Endura and MAC's.

I hope this helps.

Hey I just bought a lowrance endura. I have no experience in geo caching. I cant down load any caches to my unit. can you clue me in on what to do next(very limited skills with computers. Paul :D

icu_22/JamaicaGoldfish

First, Congrats on the new toy!

You're going to have a great time with your Endura but first read your manual general operation and familiarize yourself with how things work, then study the part in the manual on Geocaching. When you're done, go to the Lowrance.com site, to downloads and d/l and install all the updates individually for your model, 1.1, 1.21, 1.3 (follow the instructions for all three). Then go to geocaching.com, "Getting Started". Make sure you have the "Premium" membership. Set up a pocket query to be sent to you with less than 500 total geocaches (unit holds 4000 geocaches but requires multiple d/l's of 500 or less of geocaches per pocket query becuase of the complexity of the sorting program for all the geocaches. When you're done, download the Pocket query to either your micro SD card or to the GPX folder (create one on root directory). Shut GPS down and then restart it (this will allow the GPS to sort all the geocache information and put it where it needs to go. You should be done. You can also do a search here using a keyword "Lowrance geocaching" and review previous posts for information which will get you alot of info quickly. Also, goto Youtube.com and do a search for "geocaching" or "Lowrance geocaching". Then come back and ask more questions. There are alot of us who will be more than willing to fill in the gaps for you.

"Getting Started" http://www.geocaching.com/about/default.aspx

"Building a Pocket Query" http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx

"Find a Geocache" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx

"Finding your First Geocache" http://www.geocaching.com/about/finding.aspx

"Field Notes" http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx,

http://www.geocaching.com/my/uploadfieldnotes.aspx

Hope this helps a bit. Give a holler if you need more help.

Be safe.

N

Edited by Native20559

Can someone help me? I have a Endura Out and Back and ever since the update to geocaching.com ( new PQ's, and 1000 limit) My Endura will not read the geocache GPX file. It reads and loads the child way points, but not the geocaches. I have tried different directories, ziped un ziped, folder no folder and nothing works, but no matter what i do the way points show up and the geocaches dont. Any help would be appreciated.

Can someone help me? I have a Endura Out and Back and ever since the update to geocaching.com ( new PQ's, and 1000 limit) My Endura will not read the geocache GPX file. It reads and loads the child way points, but not the geocaches. I have tried different directories, ziped un ziped, folder no folder and nothing works, but no matter what i do the way points show up and the geocaches dont. Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like you are hitting an issue created with the new max of 1000 caches in a PQ. Currently we have a max gpx file size of 3 MB, which would allow 500 caches in a PQ. So if your new gpx file is greater than 3MB the Endura will not be able to read it. We are working on a fix for this issue but until we get it resolved you will need to limit your PQ's to a max of 500 caches.

Actually EnduraExpert I tried that, I thought maybe it was an issue with a corrupt file caused by the new file type. So i did try one and limited it to 500, the files size is only 2.1mb..... Thanks for trying. Any other suggestions?

In Geocaching.com, right hand corner select your name/handle, which takes you to your account profile. Under "Quick View", select ", Account Details", then at the bottom, "Your Preferences", then "GPX version". Make sure it's set for "GPX 1.0". It might take a couple of attempts to take the change but be patient. That may fix your problem.

Good luck.

Be safe.

N

The main issue I have with the Endura is not with the product, as I do not have one an will not be purchasing one, it is with Lowrance itself. I have an older GPS that still works good and they have discontinued the whole automotive line. They have made my GPS worthless since they are not even supporting the maps. I have no new roads, or points of interest, etc.... I wonder how long it will be until all of the Endura crowd is hung out to dry? Oh and my unit was about 3 times more expensive that the cheapest Endura. :)

Oh and by the way, I had some of the same issues with lockups and long time between screen changes with my first Garmin. I kept hoping the next release of firmware would fix it. It never did. This was the whole reason I purchased a Lowrance in the first place. My Colorado Works OK though.

Edited by N7MFT

The main issue I have with the Endura is not with the product, as I do not have one an will not be purchasing one, it is with Lowrance itself. I have an older GPS that still works good and they have discontinued the whole automotive line. They have made my GPS worthless since they are not even supporting the maps. I have no new roads, or points of interest, etc.... I wonder how long it will be until all of the Endura crowd is hung out to dry? Oh and my unit was about 3 times more expensive that the cheapest Endura. :)

Oh and by the way, I had some of the same issues with lockups and long time between screen changes with my first Garmin. I kept hoping the next release of firmware would fix it. It never did. This was the whole reason I purchased a Lowrance in the first place. My Colorado Works OK though.

So N7MFT, which old Lowrance automotive unit do you have? I will make some inquires and see what can be done, regarding map & POI updates.

I can understand the annoyance of owning a unit with is no longer supported, but when it come to mapping detail in general, I believe most GPS users do not understand the logistics of keeping map data up to date. In many regions today, roads, roadway alignments, and POIs are changing almost on a daily basis and by the time the map details are modified, changes made to the map software, and the map upgrade ready for the consumer, the map is already outdated.

Actually EnduraExpert I tried that, I thought maybe it was an issue with a corrupt file caused by the new file type. So i did try one and limited it to 500, the files size is only 2.1mb..... Thanks for trying. Any other suggestions?

I ran into this problem and someone pointed me to a GSAK macro that breaks the GPX files into a bunch of smaller ones. It's GPXbyDistance-Children. I loaded 3 PQs of 1,000 into GSAK, ran them through this macro, breaking them into groups of 400 and it works fine now.

Edited by briansnat

I bought an Endura Safari after reading everyone comments on how much they have improved, only to be disappointed upon using it in the field. My first complaint was the compass, with the electronic compass off if takes if forever (if at all) to updated your heading even thought the gps indicates that I am moving. With the electronic compass on and successfully calibrated several times it was just as unreliable, swinging wildly while walking sometimes even pointing the opposite direction.

Second complaint, slow screen response, sometimes taking as much as 3 seconds to page through the various screens. While does not seem like a long time it is enough to make me want to press the button again. The user interface seem clumsy and slow, not quick and seamless like on my Oregon.

But enough complaining, how about something good. Whatever receiver chip is used in these things it rocks. My track log reminded me of the 60csx and it was able to reliability pick up movement under 1 mph (really good when your trolling on the lake and something that the Oregon has a problem with). I did like the gps but not enough to end my love affair with garmin.

Edited by ryan3295

I bought an Endura Safari after reading everyone comments on how much they have improved, only to be disappointed upon using it in the field. My first complaint was the compass, with the electronic compass off if takes if forever (if at all) to updated your heading even thought the gps indicates that I am moving. With the electronic compass on and successfully calibrated several times it was just as unreliable, swinging wildly while walking sometimes even pointing the opposite direction.

Second complaint, slow screen response, sometimes taking as much as 3 seconds to page through the various screens. While does not seem like a long time it is enough to make me want to press the button again. The user interface seem clumsy and slow, not quick and seamless like on my Oregon.

But enough complaining, how about something good. Whatever receiver chip is used in these things it rocks. My track log reminded me of the 60csx and it was able to reliability pick up movement under 1 mph (really good when your trolling on the lake and something that the Oregon has a problem with). I did like the gps but not enough to end my love affair with garmin.

Based on the problems/issues you are having I would suspect that you are not running the most current firmware avail. I would check to see if you are running version 1.21 by pressing the menu button for about 5 seconds while on the main menu. You should be able to download the 1.4 firmware installer on Monday 5/10 and this will run all updates 1.21, 1.3 & 1.4.

Let me know if you are still having problems.

Edited by EnduraExpert

Based on the problems/issues you are having I would suspect that you are not running the most current firmware avail. I would check to see if you are running version 1.21 by pressing the menu button for about 5 seconds while on the main menu. You should be able to download the 1.4 firmware installer on Monday 5/10 and this will run all updates 1.21, 1.3 & 1.4.

Sorry I forgot to include that I was running the latest firmware - 1.21. Does 1.4 address the issues that I was having?

Sorry I forgot to include that I was running the latest firmware - 1.21. Does 1.4 address the issues that I was having?

Unless I am reading your post wrong, I think you believe version 1.21 is the latest firmware. And unless I am wrong, 1.4 is actually the newest version of firmware. Ok..that is hard to read. I think the latest version of firmware that you need is 1.4. The 1.21 version is actually a couple releases behind.

OK, so if your still having issues after updating to 1.4 firmware then we need to figure out what is goin on with your unit.

Regarding the satellite driven compass, you will need to be moving at least 2 mph for 20-30 ft before the unit will update your current heading.

When you calibrated your magnetic compass did you rotate in a 3 axis figure 8 motion?

IN order to increase the spped with which the pages load you can change the detail settings of the map page by going into the "More Options" then "Detail Settings". This can be accessed by tapping the map page. Since these units have so much data loaded onto them there is some lag in redrawing the pages.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Purchased a Lowrance Endura GPS for husband for Father's Day. He wants to use it for Geocaching. But, after hooking to computer and downloading software we can't get the "Save to GPS" from the Geocaching website to load onto the Lowrance GPS. Can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to load a cach site onto the GPS?

Thanks in advance.

My Endura Out & Back has locked me out & i have no clue how to unlock it! HELP!

I hooked the GPS up to my Desktop & the problem seems to have corrected itself!

"Save to GPS" does not work with Lowrance units. Instead, use the "GPX File" button to save the .gpx file to your PC. Then drag and drop or copy/paste to the GPX folder on the Endura. Even better, create a Pocket Query with many (but <=500) caches and drop the entire GPX file onto the unit. (This requires Premium Membership on geocaching.com.)

Good luck.

Purchased a Lowrance Endura GPS for husband for Father's Day. He wants to use it for Geocaching. But, after hooking to computer and downloading software we can't get the "Save to GPS" from the Geocaching website to load onto the Lowrance GPS. Can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to load a cach site onto the GPS?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry ... replied to the post above instead of below. Trying again ....

"Save to GPS" does not work with Lowrance units. Instead, use the "GPX File" button to save the .gpx file to your PC. Then drag and drop or copy/paste to the GPX folder on the Endura. Even better, create a Pocket Query with many (but <=500) caches and drop the entire GPX file onto the unit. (This requires Premium Membership on geocaching.com.)

Good luck.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry ... replied to the post above instead of below. Trying again ....

Good luck.

Check out the newest upgrade for the Endura,(V1.5). It is the most comprehensive enhancement to date, and it includes an increased GPX file size, which can hold up to 4000 caches.

Endura V1.5