Lowrance Endura Out&Back

Seems pretty light on the caching functions compared to the PNXX/OR/CO. Love to see a workflow for a cache run.

I disagree with this assement.

While I find some of the screens poorly organized and a bit inconsistent. The Endura actually has MORE paperless caching functions than the Garmin lineup. Particularly the filtering functions - very nice addtion.

Reception.

Tested the Out&back Endura alongside my Oregon 200 and the Colorado 300 in some tough condtions through the dense woods of Minnesota last week. The clear winner for overall reception was the Colorado 300 (not surprising considering the external quad helix anntena design). However, the out&back came in 2nd - holding a good lock a few times when the Oregon dropped out for a second or 2. However the Oregon maintained a lock a few times the Out&back did not as well. Slight edge to the out&back overall though.

I'm hoping some Lowrance Endura owners can help me track down a problem with GPX files. I'm the author of EasyGPS and GeoBuddy, and I'm starting to see reports that the GPX files created by the Endura GPS receivers have a technical flaw in them that prevents their use in some software.

If you own a Lowrance Endura or other model that saves GPX data, could you send Waypoints.gpx or any other GPX file created by the GPS to me at support@easygps.com ? I'd be eternally grateful. If there is a problem with the Lowrance output, this would give me a chance to report it to Lowrance so they can correct it in future firmware.

[i need the GPX file as saved to the data card by the GPS - before it's been opened or edited in any software on your computer.]

Thanks,

Dan Foster

support@easygps.com

Edited by topografix
Tested the Out&back Endura alongside my Oregon 200 and the Colorado 300 in some tough condtions through the dense woods of Minnesota last week.
So which is your goto GPS? If different for different uses, please indicate. Also, any side-by-side photos?

Thanks

Thats a good question.......

I once answered that by saying "the one with batteries in it". :D

I have... in order of purchase

• garmin Legend (old blue one)
  • Garmin Rino 120
  • Garmin eTrex Camo
  • Garmin 60C
  • Garmin Venture HC
  • Garmin Legend HCx (times 2)
  • Garmin Colorado 300
  • Garmin Oregon 200
  • briefly owned a Delorme PN-40 - no more
  • Lowrance Endura Out&Back

My 2 favorites ore the Oregon and Colorado for the paperless features but for the most consistent accuracy and reliability - I always turn to the Colorado 300.

We will see where the Endura falls after a few things are straightened out.

I'm hoping some Lowrance Endura owners can help me track down a problem with GPX files. I'm the author of EasyGPS and GeoBuddy, and I'm starting to see reports that the GPX files created by the Endura GPS receivers have a technical flaw in them that prevents their use in some software.

If you own a Lowrance Endura or other model that saves GPX data, could you send Waypoints.gpx or any other GPX file created by the GPS to me at support@easygps.com ? I'd be eternally grateful. If there is a problem with the Lowrance output, this would give me a chance to report it to Lowrance so they can correct it in future firmware.

[i need the GPX file as saved to the data card by the GPS - before it's been opened or edited in any software on your computer.]

Thanks,

Dan Foster

support@easygps.com

When i get home - I'll send what I have.

Seems pretty light on the caching functions compared to the PNXX/OR/CO. Love to see a workflow for a cache run.

I disagree with this assement.

While I find some of the screens poorly organized and a bit inconsistent. The Endura actually has MORE paperless caching functions than the Garmin lineup. Particularly the filtering functions - very nice addtion.

Good news! My comment was based on what i could see on the one page in the manual. The filtering stuff does sound very cool on a GPS.

Some quick track comparisons from this weekend.

Blue line is my Colorado 300 and pretty darn close to the way I walked.

Red line is the Endura Out&Back - a little noisy and gets off track in a few places.

Purple line is my Oregon 200 - well known for a noisy recorded track and spurious deviations.

path.jpg

Has anybody tried download any maps for thier Endura yet?

I called Lowrance today. Actually reached a technician after about 10 minutes of waiting. Among other items I mentioned how the mapselect site produced the error when you attempted to follow the provided link that comes with the Endura. He said they knew about that but did not have the website ready for whatever is supposed to happen when we connect. He had no information on when it would be available.

Where did you order yours from? Nice to see places are finally getting the new Enduras! Someone mentioned yesterday Bass Pro Shops are starting to stock their shelves with them now.

When you get it take it outside ASAP & tell us how readable the screen is in various lighting conditions! "Outdoor visible touchscreens" are apparently a difficult product for manufactureres to create ;)

Bass Pro Shops have them in stock for $349.

Red line is the Endura Out&Back - a little noisy and gets off track in a few places.

Purple line is my Oregon 200 - well known for a noisy recorded track and spurious deviations.

That's odd. It seems like the two Oregons should be more similar given that the actual "tracking" hardware in them is the same (isn't it?)

Larry

That's odd. It seems like the two Oregons should be more similar given that the actual "tracking" hardware in them is the same (isn't it?)

Larry

You mean the 2 Garmin's???

Yes - they use the same chip but both use different firmware's for processing the position information and have very different anntena's.

Just got my Endura safari haven't had a chance to do too much with it i must say being able to filter caches by type, size, terrain and difficulty is amazing!

a couple things I've noticed:

Manual sucks! my Ifinder expedition had a 123 page manual the Endura 24

Loading GPX files are easy I will try exporting from GSAK to see if that helps the found/unfound filter

lack of mapping available I not impressed about be nice if I could use my existing map create software

I like it idea of voice notes but they don't have it linked to the geocaching section ( be nice to leave a voice note intead of typing in field notes.

adding new caches into the unit, Can't see how to do it, or edit cords on existing caches.

Will be caching with it this weekend, so far the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Doues anyone know if you can use a mini usb phone charger as a external power source?

Picked up the Out&Back tonight from the local Bass Pro shop for $199 + tax. So far I am mightily impressed. Turned it on for the first time and it locked on to 7 satellites in about 21 seconds and was ready to navigate. Ran through the setup without looking at the mini-manual or quick start guide and it was very self explanatory.

I loaded my latest GPX file into it and I love the geocaching features! No more carrying the PDA along so we can have cache details. We'll be heading out with it this weekend along with an eTrex Venture HC, an update will be forthcoming. The old Garmin Nuvi 205 will be used for street navigation. :blink:

Edited by RVRoadTrip

Alrighty... the wife and I took off early this morning to do a little Geocaching and Waymarking. I downloaded my GPX file from here and copied it directly to the Out&Back and all entries popped right up. Full name, direction, distance, GC code, who ownes the cache, coordinates, cache size, cache type, diificulty, terrain difficulty, full description, hints and log entries... all right there at my fingertips. Amazing.

I also loaded the Garmin Nuvi 205 for street driving directions as this unit doesn't do that as is. "As the crow flies" is what it offers out of the box.

First let me say I love the touchscreen. Press the MENU button and up comes your choice of Map, Find, Tools and Settings. Tap FIND on the screen and now your choices are Favorites, Waypoints, Geocaches, Trails, Points of Interest and Routes. Tap GEOCACHES and it asks if you want to show ALL or FILTERED LIST. Filtered list is for weeding out ones you have found already.

SHOW ALL Brings up a full list of all the geocaches stored in the unit, sorted by distance from where you are standing at the moment. You can read the Name, the direction you need to go (N,S, etc.), distance, difficulty, terrain difficulty, cache type and cache size. Tap the geocache you want and up comes the details.

In the 4 corners of the screen you get Show On Map, Goto, More Options and Back. The main screen displays all the aforementioned paragraphs details as well as options for full description and Recent Logs. MORE OPTIONS gives you Show Hint, Show Trackables, Log Field Note (Found, Not Found, Needs Maintenance and a place to write a note about the cache), Add to Favorites, Delete and Cancel. If you tap GOTO the overhead map screen comes up. You see major roads and interstates and a blue line pointing to the cache.

Now press the PAGES button (you can sort these) and view the compass arrow screen. As long as you are moving, it is accurate, if you stop... pfft. This screen shows direction you need to go, how far you need to go, EPE or margin of error, distance covered, time elapsed, distance remaining and ETA. This will take you to within a few feet of the target.

Once you find the cache, tap the screen and choose Log Field Note. Mark it as FOUND and add a personal note if you wish. Good for remembering things to write on Geocaching.com when you log it.

I have not yet figured out how to get the list of found sites out of the unit onto the computer. Hopefully, there is a way. More info to come as I learn it myself.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with this unit. The Garmin Venture HC I bought 3 days ago is going back to the store!

What is a good cache management software such as Gsak, easyGPS that works with the endura?

I have no reason to believe that GSAK would not work very well with the Endura. Simply output the caches you want to a GPX file on the Endura device in the GPX folder.

I have not been able to get GSAK or Watcher to work on the endura.

What is a good cache management software such as Gsak, easyGPS that works with the endura?

I have no reason to believe that GSAK would not work very well with the Endura. Simply output the caches you want to a GPX file on the Endura device in the GPX folder.

I have not been able to get GSAK or Watcher to work on the endura.

In what way?? Automatically sending to the unit?? Please describe the issue better.

I have loaded pocket queries into GSAK and watcher in order to eliminate duplicates. When exporting as a .gpx file it does not pick up and load into the unit itself. Unit reads no caches found, when the file does show up in windows explorer on the unit when the unit is attached to the PC. I find the duplicates annoying. I do wish files from GSAK worked but again, the unit does not recognize them when I press FIND and then GEOCACHE. Have you tried? Do you have issues with duplicates?

This was copied from a thread on the Topografix forums. It does not pertain directly to lanko21's issue but is possibly another GPX related issue with the Endura.

"Lowrance has released three new Endura GPS models. These GPS receivers store data in the GPX file format, which should allow them to exchange data with hundreds of other mapping programs and Web sites. Unfortunately, Lowrance didn't bother to test their GPX output before shipping the Endura, and these GPS receivers are now creating broken GPX files. Further adding to the problem, Lowrance tech support doesn't appear to be answering emails (at least, not from me).

Lowrance Endura owners need to call Lowrance at 1-800-324-1356 and let them know what a serious problem this is. GPX files need to pass the validation test at http://www.topografix.com/gpx_validation.asp so that they will work with other programs. Lowrance GPX files don't pass validation, and cause errors in other programs.

I've modified ExpertGPS to extract as much data as possible from Endura GPX files so users can keep working, but this is a temporary patch until Lowrance gets their firmware fixed."

Author of ExpertGPS and GeoBuddy

there are enough things I like about my Endura Safari to keep me from returning it. though I have a few beefs:

1. Mapping there is no mapping available for Canada this is very fustrating as I need to bring along my Lowrance Expedition C.

2. I can copy .GPX files from my pocket Queries. but when I export a GPX file from GSAK the endura won't recognize it.

3. the Endura creates a new folder in the name of the GPX file you can delete the contents of the file but not the folder.

4. if you don't delete the old GPX's from the unit the new set creates duplicates, my Expedition C would skip duplicates

5. no documentation the manual that came with the unit is small, my Expedition had a 161 page manual

6. when creating a new waypoint for hiding a cache, when you go to verify the cords the unit will say found it! and stop navigating at around 20' from the cache.

Like I said I love the unit and the features it has but these are a few annoyances

I've been looking at the Endura Sierra myself...primarily comparing it to the DeLorme PN-40. I really like the screen size and touchscreen capabilities of the Sierra. I've messed around with it a couple times at the store but based on what I"ve read online it concernes me. Seems they just weren't ready for the geocaching community at large. I performed my own little test and called support for both Lowrance Endura and DeLorme. Endura folks put me through the paces on an automated phone system, though not too bad. Then, when I did get to the right person - the support personnel were very mechanical. The woman on the phone didn't even know what geocaching was. I asked what chip they were using and she said "I can't tell you that it's proprietary information"....which seemed like an odd answer to me. Calling DeLorme I got a live operator right away - and then got routed to a person who seemed very knowlegeable. He answered all my questions - told me about a couple things I should look at on the PN-40 and was very helpful/knowlegeable (even though he didn't know how to directly enter coordinates on the unit - which I've since been told is very easy). Still reviewing units to make a purchase.

I came across this Endura related thread and thought it worth copying and posting here.

Posted on the GpsPasSion Forums - 09/13/2009

Thank you for your inquiry. We do apologize for the delay in responding. We are currently at the peak of our busy season and responding to all inquiries as quickly as possible. You are very important to us and we will be happy to assist you. Pre-loaded Accu Terra mapping is limited coverage at this time. There are plans to release both Accu Terra cards and downloads in the near future but we do not yet have a release time for these at this time. As information regarding this and more compatible mapping becomes available, it will be posted on our website.

Please feel free to contact us if we may assist further.

Lowrance Customer Service

Division of Navico Inc.

I came across this Endura related thread and thought it worth copying and posting here.

Posted on the GpsPasSion Forums - 09/13/2009

Thank you for your inquiry. We do apologize for the delay in responding. We are currently at the peak of our busy season and responding to all inquiries as quickly as possible. You are very important to us and we will be happy to assist you. Pre-loaded Accu Terra mapping is limited coverage at this time. There are plans to release both Accu Terra cards and downloads in the near future but we do not yet have a release time for these at this time. As information regarding this and more compatible mapping becomes available, it will be posted on our website.

Please feel free to contact us if we may assist further.

Lowrance Customer Service

Division of Navico Inc.

yikes

Customer service thus far on the Enduras is really lacking. No real guidence on the web site and some very over inflated promises and marketing hype. I'd like Lowarnce to get serious about how they will handle the Endura issues.

I have the Safari, but I am having issues downloading geocaches and waypoints to the GPS. For all Endura owners, what do you do to download geocaches and waypoints to your Endura?

Hook it up to your PC via the USB cable. It will appear as a drive on your PC. Take the unzipped GPX file that is the result of your PQ emailed to you and place it on the Endura in [drive]:\gpx

Unhook the GPS and start it up - it will read the GPX files and you are all set.

Pardon me if this has already been addressed. Can individual caches be sent to the Endura using the "GPX eXchange File" button on the cache page?

I don't think so, but I don't own one either...my understanding was that, so far, only DeLorme and Garmin could do this? Anyone knowing otherwise, please correct me!