Geotagging and the Orgeon 550

I got my Oregon 550 and really like it so far. It takes great pictures and the 3 axis compass is a nice feature. Anyway, my question is: What exactly is geotagging? I would guess that it would simply be a picture taken with the location imprinted on the picture. Is this right? If so, what programs would I use to do this? Is there freeware out there?

Thanks!

I got my Oregon 550 and really like it so far. It takes great pictures and the 3 axis compass is a nice feature. Anyway, my question is: What exactly is geotagging? I would guess that it would simply be a picture taken with the location imprinted on the picture. Is this right? If so, what programs would I use to do this? Is there freeware out there?

You don't need anything since the 550 has a camera and it is a GPSr, it does the geotagging automatically.

The location is stored in the EXIF data, which is all the data (date, time, exposure, camerqa info, etc.) and is part of the picture file.

Thanks, I knew I should have checked the Wiki first--it is always helpful. However, I am wondering how I can view the information stored in the Exif region.

Viewing the info is boring. Simply lat/long, cmarea/pix info.

The idea is that you can use that info to view the photos in relation to a map.

For instance, Google earth you can save the photos in My Places and it'll show the photos at the location it was taken at.

On the Mac in iPhoto, you open a map and see where all your pix were taken.