Colorblind caching...

mrbort

I'm semi-mildly colorblind (can't see the berries in the forest when we're out berry picking) and have wondered if it effects my ability to see certain caches or if it's just the normal well-hidden cache thing. For instance, even if the cammo tape/cloth is, upon closer inspection a quite different shade than the area in which it was hidden, it can still give me fits. In situations like this (and other hides that involve perhaps plain sight), often it will be impossible for me to see it but easy for someone else. I wonder if some of the 1/1 DNFs that I've had are due to that or just poor geosense or luck.

It's interesting that sometimes caching with my family or friends, the cache will be obvious to me due to physical pattern (not cluing in on colors) whereas they're looking for something that doesn't look quite right in the environment mostly relying on color. Other times, they'll march right up to it and find it with no problem where even when the location is pointed out, it takes a great deal of scrutiny to spot.

Other colorblind cachers have observations on this? Any questions about caching/being colorblind or any other observations or comments from the color-normal are welcome as well!

I'm semi-mildly colorblind (can't see the berries in the forest when we're out berry picking) and have wondered if it effects my ability to see certain caches or if it's just the normal well-hidden cache thing. For instance, even if the cammo tape/cloth is, upon closer inspection a quite different shade than the area in which it was hidden, it can still give me fits. In situations like this (and other hides that involve perhaps plain sight), often it will be impossible for me to see it but easy for someone else. I wonder if some of the 1/1 DNFs that I've had are due to that or just poor geosense or luck.

It's interesting that sometimes caching with my family or friends, the cache will be obvious to me due to physical pattern (not cluing in on colors) whereas they're looking for something that doesn't look quite right in the environment mostly relying on color. Other times, they'll march right up to it and find it with no problem where even when the location is pointed out, it takes a great deal of scrutiny to spot.

Other colorblind cachers have observations on this? Any questions about caching/being colorblind or any other observations or comments from the color-normal are welcome as well!

Not colorblind in any way but I am visually challenged in another way. I have found that my vision problem has allowed me to adapt, much in the way you would with patterns over color.

When humans are presented with a challenge in their senses, they adapt. Scientists say this is what has put humans at the (relative) top of the food chain.

I'd like to use my colorblindness as an out for not finding caches first before the Mrs., but I know that would never fly! With my eyesight (-4 diopter left, -4.25 diopter right, and an astigmatism) I'm challenged all the way around. I pretty much rely on past experiences when dealing with a find. That may not help all the time, but it has on occasion. In most cases, (speaking locally now), bridge hides are done certain ways, cemetery caches another and so on. They're all different and unique, but there are enough leads to point you in the right direction. Or, when all else fails: read the hint.

I'd like to use my colorblindness as an out for not finding caches first before the Mrs., but I know that would never fly! With my eyesight (-4 diopter left, -4.25 diopter right, and an astigmatism) I'm challenged all the way around. I pretty much rely on past experiences when dealing with a find. That may not help all the time, but it has on occasion. In most cases, (speaking locally now), bridge hides are done certain ways, cemetery caches another and so on. They're all different and unique, but there are enough leads to point you in the right direction. Or, when all else fails: read the hint.

I don't really use it as an out but it's just a pattern that I've noticed where color anomaly caches are much more easily spotted by my family but when it comes to patterns and things that don't look right, I tend to catch em a little better (like bittsen said, the compensation thing I guess). Sounds like you're compensating too quite well :D

One of my good caching buddies who is colorblind made a similar observation on a recent trip when we hit 2 Earthcaches in a row that required naming the color of a (natural) object that he was unable to see. I'd lord it over him, but hey, he drove most of the 1800 miles that trip so I'll cut him some slack.

I don't really use it as an out but it's just a pattern that I've noticed where color anomaly caches are much more easily spotted by my family but when it comes to patterns and things that don't look right, I tend to catch em a little better (like bittsen said, the compensation thing I guess). Sounds like you're compensating too quite well :D

Most of the time my finds actually go like this... "It's over here dummy!" Like I said, just go by past experience and it usually works. Only bad part is I usually limit myself to looking no more than 20 minutes for a single cache, especially if it's in a cemetery or an urban cache. If I can't find it in 20, I'll go on.

My friend is sort of color blind* but his biggest issue is not being able to see small gradients between colors. When he looks at the paint samples in the store it looks like the same color repeated several times on the page. So I would guess that might make some urban stuff tougher when trying to pick out those "not quite an exact match" sort of details. But for most things it would seem pattern recognition would be more useful.

*His wife came home when he was trying to paint the den once. It was clear to her that he couldn't tell where the line was between the wet and the dry paint, so that was the end of his painting days. He didn't seem too upset. :D

I know one colorblind cacher that claims that, as you said, sometimes it actually helps him see the caches.

I found that odd, but I do know that there are several different kinds of color blindness, as well as degrees of it within a type.

A number of years ago, a colorblind user of some software that I was writing complained that he had problems with some of the screens because of the colors used. I fixed the problems by using a colorblindness simulator website.

It would be interesting to use that on some images of caches in their surroundings!

I too am midly colorblind (and in the worst way.. green brown red) but my mom swears it HELPS me geocache.. and I do have to admit that some camo I can see through from miles away and some I can be staring at and not see.. so I guess it works both ways. but for me, when I am looking, I am doing the "look for straight lines" and "shapes not found in nature" more than anything else..

Some Red/Green (the most common, from what I hear) which has bedeviled me with some puzzles, but not too much of a problem in the out of doors.

If there's a cache, no matter how improbable it may be shaped, it's there somewhere and colour should only be part of the consideration while judging.