GE KML version 2.2 rocks!

Jeepster++

Just took it out for a test drive and it's working as good as it ever did. 250 refreshes per day is more than enough and I promise I'll take it easy on the server, no more spinning the globe just for fun. Thank you Raine, Nate and everyone else involved, I love my KML!

I'm very glad you're pleased with the new version. And you know, if you like to spin the globe you can always uncheck the box for the GC KML and spin away - none of your views will be deducted! Check it again when you get where you're going.

Edit: Or what gof1 said :D

Edited by OpinioNate

Its looking good and thank you for spending so much time getting it back up and running!

However my personal preference would be to show 500 caches from the centre of the view, not 500 random caches.

I understand the need to restrict the view to 500 caches but the random nature doesn't help with looking at overall distribution which was its main strong point.

Its looking good and thank you for spending so much time getting it back up and running!

However my personal preference would be to show 500 caches from the centre of the view, not 500 random caches.

I understand the need to restrict the view to 500 caches but the random nature doesn't help with looking at overall distribution which was its main strong point.

I've always thought of that as the main advantage over just viewing a PQ in GE. If I try to view 500 caches cantered on my home coordinates I'm only going to see a couple of miles represented. If I want an overview of a "day trip" radius this is the only choice. Then if I want more detail on an area I just zoom in and refresh the view.

As I recall the old KML link also returned a random selection once you exceed the limit on the number of caches. One complaint when the KML was gone was from people who used it to find concentrations of caches. They could zoom out and view a large area and a random selection of cache would show more caches in areas that had a high concentrations and few caches in areas that had a lower concentration. They would then zoom in to the high concentration area to see more caches and plan their route. If you want to see the closest 500 caches to your center point zoom in till you have fewer than 500 caches, or use a PQ.

As I recall the old KML link also returned a random selection once you exceed the limit on the number of caches. One complaint when the KML was gone was from people who used it to find concentrations of caches. They could zoom out and view a large area and a random selection of cache would show more caches in areas that had a high concentrations and few caches in areas that had a lower concentration. They would then zoom in to the high concentration area to see more caches and plan their route. If you want to see the closest 500 caches to your center point zoom in till you have fewer than 500 caches, or use a PQ.

I believe you are right. However, during my little test last night I was looking at my home area where the urban section is full of caches and the rural areas not so saturated. However when zoomed out it looked the complete opposite therefore misleading me as to the concentration of the caches available.

So where exactly is this. I searched the knowledge base and only get a forum topic about the cancellation of GE KML. Is it something I download from here or from Google? Is it already in my GE?

Edit to add: Ok I found it via the other topic where OpinionNate tells us to look on our My Profile page. Thanks Ken

Edited by traildad

I just took this for a test run and it looks nice - except for one thing. I noticed that none of the caches were plotting in the right place, however when using a GPX or LOC export and importing those into Google Earth they plot fine. So I took a deeper look at one of mine, GC1V5M2. On the cache page, the coords are N 40 45.449 W 073 59.572. I looked at the properties for the point that the KML brought in and it shows N 40 45.462 W 073 59.520 -- 266 feet off. Looks like there is a bug somewhere - maybe where coordinates are being converted among different formats.