You have to laugh.......

My old Boss sent me to Hunstanton once to pick up a package. Address all written out for me and everything. Rode (Motorcycle courier in those days) to Hunstanton and then started to look for the address. Couldn't find it and rang the boss. He said "ooops, I meant to write Huntingdon". Nowhere bloomin' near. It was January and cold too boot.

At least I got paid the milage. He could hardly not pay me for his mistake.

Not had a GPS disaster of the Carpi scale though :lol::D

I heard a story (probably apocryphal) of an American Visitor to the Air Traffic Control Centre at Swanick (near Southampton) asking how to get to the south station. They were at Northampton.

Not quite the same, but amusing anyway.

We're continually getting stories in the local paper about lorries getting stuck due to SatNav problems. More like numpty drivers who obviously don't understand the signs saying not suitable for HGVs etc. 'It's not me that's stupid, the SatNav told me to go that way' :lol:

More like numpty drivers who obviously don't understand the signs saying not suitable for HGVs etc. 'It's not me that's stupid, the SatNav told me to go that way' :huh:

More like haulage companies that are too cheap to give their drivers HGV-specific GPSrs and maps and instead give them normal car ones!

I have to take issue with that. Just because your Sat Nav tells you to go down a road clearly marked not suitable for HGVs, or signed as 6'6" maximum width, or single track with passing places, does mean that you can't use judgement. In fact, its a pretty clear case of driving without due care & attention.

If a driver can't make such judgements for themselves, then you have to question whether they are competent enough to be allowed to control a lethal lump of steel.

WAY Off topic though. Sorry.

No comment about americans!

My wife went into a travel agency (*) in Wales to buy a ticket to Strasbourg. "Oh, lovely, Austria", said the helpful but geographically-challenged lady. "No, France", said my wife, "You're probably thinking of Salzburg." "Oh no", said the lady, "I sold one to Strasbourg, Austria just yesterday. There must be two cities with the same name. Fancy that, eh?". We never did find out where the unfortunate purchaser from the previous day ended up.

No comment about Welsh people, or travel agency staff, or women, eh? :huh:

(*) This was circa 1990. People under 30: ask your parents what a "travel agency" was.

I heard a story (probably apocryphal) of an American Visitor to the Air Traffic Control Centre at Swanick (near Southampton) asking how to get to the south station. They were at Northampton.

Not quite the same, but amusing anyway.

We're continually getting stories in the local paper about lorries getting stuck due to SatNav problems. More like numpty drivers who obviously don't understand the signs saying not suitable for HGVs etc. 'It's not me that's stupid, the SatNav told me to go that way' :huh:

Ridiculous, especially when the low bridge POI database is available online. If anyone wants a copy, let me know. It's a couple of years old but I'll be happy to share it.

What I don't understand is when people say - we were sent 300 mile sout of our way cos of the GPS...

When I key in where I want to go, I know it'll take roughly x hours... if I keyed it in wrong and it said 7 hours (cos of being sent out of my way) I'd bloomin check I'd put it in right!!!!!

Happened loads to me, I've thought, oh it's not 2 hours to kent, and realised I'd misspelled something....

Are people really so thick?

A long tome ago, in the early days of the Internet I worked with a girl who booked a 'really cheap flight' from Birmingham to New York. She arrived at Birmingham airport to discover it was from Birmingham Alabama (BHM) not Birmingham, West Midlands (BHX). D'oh!

P.S. I checked: Newcastle to other Newcastle, according to TheAA.com: 192.6 miles

Edited by Simply Paul