"Parking" a coin

Lalgeo

I've read a lot about dipping coins, but what if I picked up a coin from a cache and was holding onto it for a couple of weeks in order to drop it off at a cache on a long canoe trip that we have coming up. We have a cache that we own and maintain full of "goodies"near our house. How would it be perceived and is it considered OK if I was to "dip" the geocoin in this cache since it will be "vacationing" with us at our house for this couple of weeks. This way the geocoin owner will log about 40 km to get here from its previous location and log that extra 40km more again when we leave for our canoe trip with the rest of the mileage (about 400+ km) to get there this would give the coin an extras 80km. A bonus for me is my cache will get to have this beautiful coin in its log. I would even go through the motion of physicaly placing it in the cache and then removing it, just because. Call it not messing with karma. I would even take and post a picture.

Please let me kow your thoughts.

Lalgeo

You should contact the owner and let them know your intentions. If it was me, I would be happy to allow you a couple weeks to take the coin on an adventure. To me a couple weeks is not long to have someone hang onto my coin.

I located this coin this morning, it has been in hybernation since Sept. 2008 in a very challenging cache so you're right I doubt 2 more weeks will hurt. But what about "dipping" it in my cache? How is this perceived?

Cheers

You should contact the owner and let them know your intentions. If it was me, I would be happy to allow you a couple weeks to take the coin on an adventure. To me a couple weeks is not long to have someone hang onto my coin.

I located this coin this morning, it has been in hybernation since Sept. 2008 in a very challenging cache so you're right I doubt 2 more weeks will hurt. But what about "dipping" it in my cache? How is this perceived?

Cheers

I think that LadeBear's recommendation is excellent -- that is, if you have any question as to whether it would be proper to do something, ask the owner.

I, myself, would not mind. I wouldn't mind if you dipped the coin in a local cache (one that you own, preferably, or have already been to) because by doing so you're setting up the start point to the coin's adventure with you. That's just me, though -- again, if there's any doubt whatsoever, just shoot the owner an email through his/her profile and ask.

Cheers!

To chime in as well, I think the owner would certainly appreciate you contacting him/her/them to ask their opinion, and more than likely they won't mind. I've had cachers contact me about some of my travelling geocoins to give a "heads up" that they will have it for a while (or dip it several times) en route to somewhere, and I usually like to see where it goes!

Also, pics of the stop to your cache is a big bonus, for me anyway. Most of my travelling coins have "take a picture of me" in their mission or description, but it is fairly rare that this happens. I know some caches are near impossible to take a picture of nearby due to heavy traffic or muggles or whatnot, but the promise of a picture may also help your cause.

Dip the coin, don't leave it listed in the cache, if it's not physically in the cache, you can simply retrieve it back. What you plan to do is fine, and does not go beyond the normal time frame for moving trackables. It's quite alright the way you have it planned. Photos are all the better. The whole point about a trackable released into the wild is the stories and photos it picks up along the way. Most owners would rather see people having fun with it, than a bunch of "discovered" logs. I, myself, am kind of disappointed when all I get is a blank log that the trackable was dropped, or retrieved, with nothing to add to it. I want some adventure! I want to live and travel vicariously through my little trinkets!

Thanks for your responses and what Jackalgirl described is excactly what I was hoping to achieve by dipping it in a cache that I own on my property.

Thank you all! Coin has been dipped and back with me. Giving it a more accurate proximaty location.

Edited by Lalgeo