My Trackables

Just checked and found that of my 13 trackable items out there

4 are in the hands of a cacher and have been so in from between 28th March and 29th May.

PLus two have gone missing in action, one of which is a Cornwall 2008 coin that has just been returned to Cornwall after it's travels around the country and in between being dropped in on 1st June and a log on the 10th July it went missing, I just hope somebody was/is on holiday and not got round to logging finds etc yet.

One cacher has responded to an email and promised to move the coin he has on soon but I will wait a few days to see if I get any response form the others.

I think I shall just not send out any for a while and especially worried as I have recently released a special coin that is a Wedding coin.

:):D;)

4 are in the hands of a cacher and have been so in from between 28th March and 29th May.

PLus two have gone missing in action, one of which is a Cornwall 2008 coin that has just been returned to Cornwall after it's travels around the country and in between being dropped in on 1st June and a log on the 10th July it went missing, I just hope somebody was/is on holiday and not got round to logging finds etc yet.

One cacher has responded to an email and promised to move the coin he has on soon but I will wait a few days to see if I get any response form the others.

I think I shall just not send out any for a while and especially worried as I have recently released a special coin that is a Wedding coin.

:D:D:D

I know the feeling.

its very frustrating but what can we do :unsure:

Hopefully the cacher you got a reply was from B O L, he is helping to organise the Mega i think. I suspect this is at the bottom of a caching bag.

The others are more awkward, as none of these have been out since collecting the coins.

I have a similar tale with mine, i emailed them asking if they had plans to go out and if not that i would collect it from them or send them a stamped addressed envelope. But had no reply to either of my emails.

Hope this works out for you. :D

Edited by burtsbodgers

Plus two have gone missing in action, one of which is a Cornwall 2008 coin that has just been returned to Cornwall after it's travels around the country and in between being dropped in on 1st June and a log on the 10th July it went missing, I just hope somebody was/is on holiday and not got round to logging finds etc yet.

:D:D:D

I know the feeling.

its very frustrating but what can we do :D

Basically, you write it off as soon as you start it on it's travels. Don't release anything that you're not prepared to loose.

During my 'geocaching career', I've released 38 trackables (30 geocoins and 8 travel bugs). They've covered a combined total of 165,694.7 miles with the individual highest (a coin) having contributing 24,137.7 miles to that total and the lowest (a travelbug) was stolen before it had gone anywhere.

14 of the 38 (9 coins and 5 travel bugs) now reside in the UK Travel Bug Graveyard.

One coin has been stuck in a cache in Spain since January 1st, 2008 and another, I suspect, has been 'collected' by a cacher in France called 'famaso' who logged it out of a cache, then deleted all his logs. The coin page shows it as being 'in the hands of famaso' but it doesn't show up anywhere on his profile.

All the rest have moved at least once this year.

I released a Garmin coin last year, which stated it wanted to remain in the UK, and was taken almost immediately to Czech.

My concerns were unfounded, since it is my most active coin. The Czechs must love coins and caches.

Another one ended up in Italy, and was picked up by an American soldier who said he was taking it to the USA. I accepted they had a bad winter which could have prevented caching, but he has had it over six months, and does caches occasionaly, but has still not dropped it off. I have sent polite emails every 3 months, but the coin still has not been dropped off.

We were pleased to find that one of our TBs that went missing in November last year in its first cache has just turned up!

In that time it has had no logs but travelled from Cheshire to the South Downs - must be those phantom cachers again!

Another one we have was found by a cacher and then placed in a cache that has never been published in about a year! I know some people use unpublished caches to "hide" coins, but this was a TB attached to a piece of wood which looked interesting but was of absolutley no value - weird!

Guess like all these things it takes all sorts but I agree, once you set a traveller off dont plan on it being "available" for long....

...........and another, I suspect, has been 'collected' by a cacher in France called 'famaso' who logged it out of a cache, then deleted all his logs. The coin page shows it as being 'in the hands of famaso' but it doesn't show up anywhere on his profile.

I take it all back.... the T/B was dropped off in another cache this morning. Thank you, Famaso :lol:

i must admit i only let tb's out in the wild at present & have a personal coin & the other coins i have i collect as they are to nice to release so i keep them with me & have a list i can give fellow cachers so they can discover them when they meet me & have a gander at them but when the collection gets to big i will release some of them but not for a while as i have only started collecting them recentley

As a new cacher I have now picked up two trackerbles and will be replacing them as soon as poss but as I know these are someones coins I must admit to being cautious as to the cahce I place them in ( some caches a bit exposed ) maby this is why they don't go back so quickly .

As a new cacher I have now picked up two trackerbles and will be replacing them as soon as poss but as I know these are someones coins I must admit to being cautious as to the cahce I place them in ( some caches a bit exposed ) maby this is why they don't go back so quickly .

The "guideline" for trackables is to move them on within two weeks but, in practice, not every cacher can manage to do this. I would much rather someone kept one of mine for 4 - 6 weeks than they drop it into a vulnerable cache which had a history of muggling problems.

I always appreciate it when I receive an email from someone saying, "I've had your TB/geocoin for quite a while, but it's safe and we'll be putting it in a cache <whenever>..."

MrsB :laughing:

...........and another, I suspect, has been 'collected' by a cacher in France called 'famaso' who logged it out of a cache, then deleted all his logs. The coin page shows it as being 'in the hands of famaso' but it doesn't show up anywhere on his profile.

I take it all back.... the T/B was dropped off in another cache this morning. Thank you, Famaso :laughing:

Brilliant, love it when the unexpected happens.

We dote on our travellers, coins and bugs alike as they all have particular meaning to us.

But you've no control over them and so you can only sit back and worry over them!

We released a new TB in Shetland last year and it didn't move, despite visitors to the cache, we thought it was a goner, maybe picked up and lost or some such. Turned out it was there all along ( probably way down at the bottom of the cache. )

We were going to pick it up on our visit back to Shetland this year but were chuffed when another cacher moved it on.

I've had a coin accidentally lost from someones pocket and a tin pot cheapo TB left in someones rucksack which ended up travelling with him from Spain to the US.

The moral is anything can happen and probably will......you just have to be brave and let them go!

Cheers.

La Fifi

I had a trackable which was (and still is) trying to get to the Faroe Islands. It was picked up in London and taken to Missouri by accident and dropped off there. The cacher responsible was apologetic when he realised his mistake but by that time it had moved on and I resigned myself to the fact that this TB would be touring the US for some time.

Imagine how pleased I was when it was picked up by a Brit living in the US, who not only travelled out of his way to pick it up, but then brought it to the UK on his next visit and took the time and trouble to drop it in the TB Hotel 2 miles from my house.

It's things like this that encourage me to keep releasing trackables, though it can be very upsetting when you lose one...

I couldn't believe it last night when I turned on the PC and got an email saying that my geocoin that had been M.I.A. for about 10 months had been dropped in a cache near gillingham having last been seen on the Ashdown forest on the kent / sussex boarder. Goodness knows where it has been all this time! But really glad to see it again

I've found one like that - it had been missing for 18 months and managed to travel from Greenwich down to the South Coast. The American owners were delighted and the bug is now somewhere in Switzerland I think. I did get a good feeling having found that one.

I have found a stranger one - it apparently disappeared from a muggled cache in January and I found the tags in the undergrowth of a nearby cache in August. After no reply from the owner, I attached a new traveller of a similar sentiment and will send it on its way again. Again, it's a bit of a thrill to find a previously MIA trackable.

A friend and I released 8 coins at the WWFM V event in London. 5 were moved on, 2 were discovered in caches they'd not been placed in and one never made it out of the event cache. Annoying but they're only "things"

Edited by HouseOfDragons

The "guideline" for trackables is to move them on within two weeks but, in practice, not every cacher can manage to do this. I would much rather someone kept one of mine for 4 - 6 weeks than they drop it into a vulnerable cache which had a history of muggling problems.

MrsB :mad:

My profile used to show the trackables towards the top of the screen and it also reminded you if you held on to an item for over 2 weeks.

After 'improving' the site, trackables are shown at the bottom (if you scroll down), and no longer give any indication of how long you have held them.

I have requested the return of the feature, but nothing has happened.

Ivan

The biggest problem I find with trackables is that when I pick up one I don't usually know if there are any specific aims.

For example, I pick up a TB on the Scottish border, bring it back to Newcastle and, when I log it, find that it trying to get to Edinburgh! :huh: Today, I've picked up one that wants to "travel the oceans of the world"!! :blink: What do I do? Drop it off in the next week or two on the Northumberland moors, or hold it until later in the year when I'm on holiday in the Canary Islands and take the chance that I can leave it in a suitable cache overlooking the Atlantic Ocean!!!?