How to find camo duct tape?

I want to start making my own caches, but can't find camo tape ANYwhere, and here's where I've looked:

It's not at:

- My local Walmart

- My local hardware store

- Walmart in a bigger town

- Lowes in a bigger town

- Home Depot in a bigger town

- Small hardware store in a bigger town

- Cavenders BOOT FREAKIN CITY AND STILL!

nothing.

does anybody know if camo tape is seasonal? nobody seems to have it. there's a bass pro around 40 miles away...but i don't want to go there Just for tape...

am i going to have to get it off the internet?

oh, and is 8 bucks for 20 yards a good price, or is that too much?

thanks for any help!

chrisrayn

am I gonna have to order it off the

I want to start making my own caches, but can't find camo tape ANYwhere, and here's where I've looked:

It's not at:

- My local Walmart

- Lowes in a bigger town

nothing.

does anybody know if camo tape is seasonal? nobody seems to have it. there's a bass pro around 40 miles away...but i don't want to go there Just for tape...

thanks for any help!

chrisrayn

Did you try the paint department at Wally World? They usually have it with the duct tape. They also quite often have spray paint in cammo colors. I prefer the paint.

I get it at wal-mart. It isn't where you might think though - go look in the paint isle. It is usually found next to the painting tape.

My Walmart carries it in the hunting section, but they only have it in the late summer/fall.

The OP could check any specialty hunting store. They should carry it, or at least camo cloth tape.

I prefer the camo cloth tape. It isn't as shiny as the duct tape and lasts pretty long. After applying it, I

coat the cloth tape with a clear sealer. I had one micro last 4 years fully exposed to the elements using cloth tape and the clear sealer.

Don't do it! I hate camo tape. It seems like the lazy way to make a cache plus the kind people use doesn't hold up and isn't camo, it is shiny and degrades quickly. Get camo cloth in the sewing department at Walmart. It is pretty inespensive and there are several different kinds. Glue it on your container and it is flat and holds up well. I have a container I put out over 2 years ago and it is showing no signs of wear at all. Cut fringes on the lid and it can work like a ghillie suit.

*Edit to add that I think a yard of cloth at my local walmart is $2.99/yard. I think the bolts are 54". (54" x 3 feet.) It will do quite a few caches.

Edited by Knight2000

My local walmart carries the camo duct tape only during hunting season. I've had luck finding camo cloth tape at hunting/sporting goods stores though. It's a bit expensive at $4 for 10 feet though.

I've also used the camo (super low reflectivity) Krylon paint. Walmart carries it and it comes in tan, brown, black and olive. Any three colors can be used with a template of paper or actual leaves to create a good camo paint job quickly.

Don't do it! I hate camo tape. It seems like the lazy way to make a cache plus the kind people use doesn't hold up and isn't camo, it is shiny and degrades quickly. Get camo cloth in the sewing department at Walmart. It is pretty inespensive and there are several different kinds. Glue it on your container and it is flat and holds up well. I have a container I put out over 2 years ago and it is showing no signs of wear at all. Cut fringes on the lid and it can work like a ghillie suit.

*Edit to add that I think a yard of cloth at my local walmart is $2.99/yard. I think the bolts are 54". (54" x 3 feet.) It will do quite a few caches.

Okay...I've heard this twice and it actually sounds less expensive and more convincing as a natural material in the wild. Additionally, you sound very earnest and you reply to almost every one of my forum topics, so you've advertised well.

Additional question for you, Knight,

What type/brand of glue has worked best for adhering the camo to plastic? (so far, I have bought a waterproof container and 10 bright orange waterproof match tubes from walmart)

The man above spoke of a clear "sealer" on top of the glued camo job. Do you use this as well? What kind/brand of "sealer" would you use?

Will the camo cloth method work on both the orange matchtube container and larger waterproof container (at your walmart it's like a clear-lightblue container)

Thanks for all of your help!

chrisrayn

Yeah I've tried the hunting and paint sections of all the places I've been to. No luck.

I even tried using walmart.com and searching for it so i could find it in a store near me...they don't show to sell it online. it's very odd.

Wally-world does have it but it's seasonal (Hunting Season) from about October to January in Texas.

duckseas.jpg

Okay...I've heard this twice and it actually sounds less expensive and more convincing as a natural material in the wild. Additionally, you sound very earnest and you reply to almost every one of my forum topics, so you've advertised well.

What type/brand of glue has worked best for adhering the camo to plastic? (so far, I have bought a waterproof container and 10 bright orange waterproof match tubes from walmart)

Try some spray adhesive. It works pretty well and is very easy to use. For the match containers, consider just getting some camo paint. You'll want 2-3 different colors, but you can quickly paint all of the containers at once. Typically they'll come in a dark olive, a lighter olive, and a dark beige, but you can add a dark brown and black paints as well and mix them to match the location where you'll be placing the cache.

IMHO, the primary reason for a good camo job on the container is to prevent muggles from discovering it accidentally. If the container is going to be stuffed up inside something, and isn't visible from a casual look in that general direction, the container really doesn't need to be cammo'd.

Try some spray adhesive. It works pretty well and is very easy to use. For the match containers, consider just getting some camo paint. You'll want 2-3 different colors, but you can quickly paint all of the containers at once. Typically they'll come in a dark olive, a lighter olive, and a dark beige, but you can add a dark brown and black paints as well and mix them to match the location where you'll be placing the cache.

IMHO, the primary reason for a good camo job on the container is to prevent muggles from discovering it accidentally. If the container is going to be stuffed up inside something, and isn't visible from a casual look in that general direction, the container really doesn't need to be cammo'd.

Thanks! Also, where do I find that thin little metal wire I see people using to suspend match containers?

you sound very earnest and you reply to almost every one of my forum topics, so you've advertised well.

The man above spoke of a clear "sealer" on top of the glued camo job. Do you use this as well? What kind/brand of "sealer" would you use?

Will the camo cloth method work on both the orange matchtube container and larger waterproof container (at your walmart it's like a clear-lightblue container)

Thanks for all of your help!

chrisrayn

That just means I need to get a life, but... I do try to help as I know when I started many people helped me here. (Of course many people were quite snarky too! :) )

I used Gorilla glue. It is more expensive but I found it on sale. I sanded down the plastic container first. I didn't expect it to stick but it did. Some places did seep through the cloth and made it a little hard. It didn't pose a problem though. It wasn't that many places, just where i put too much glue.

I used no sealer. I expected the cloth to degrade but it hasn't. It didn't even smell moldy/mildewy as expected. It is just sitting out in plain site though. It's not buried under a suspicious looking pile of parallel sticks.

I'm sure it will work on anything as long as the glue will adhere.

Thanks! Also, where do I find that thin little metal wire I see people using to suspend match containers?

Any hardware store (a few do still exist. Really) will have quite an assortment. Also probably the craft section of the big box stores like Wal-Mart. Or a coat hanger. Or Radio Shack (although you may want to strip the insulation off first)

I don't think duct tape is lame or the easy way out...however I have noticed it doesn't cover as well as the cloth or even better, the spray paint I've used. I buy all my stuff at the gun and hunting stores near me for camo and have tried it all. Seems like the ones that blend in best are the ones i've spraypainted camo...the cloth does a good job as well, however, i've noticed bugs like nesting in it...and being a girl...well..ick. *grin*

as for other supplies like the wire...i LOVE craft stores...you'd be surprised what you can find there...

I also think the best containers are the ones directly from nature...pick a site, grab some nature from the site, make it into a cache, and return! Those are the hardest to find!

I don't think duct tape is lame or the easy way out...however I have noticed it doesn't cover as well as the cloth or even better, the spray paint I've used. I buy all my stuff at the gun and hunting stores near me for camo and have tried it all. Seems like the ones that blend in best are the ones i've spraypainted camo...the cloth does a good job as well, however, i've noticed bugs like nesting in it...and being a girl...well..ick. ....

I agree - I've switched to using spray paint applied into homemade camo patterns. Some of those are hard for me to spot!

I agree - I've switched to using spray paint applied into homemade camo patterns. Some of those are hard for me to spot!

The best (and most evil!) camo job I've ever done was a matchstick container with actual dried oak leaves glued to it. I then sealed it with several coats of matte clear acrylic. It was placed in plain sight on top of some leaves. Got about 50% DNFs, but plenty of kudos as well. I prefer most of my caches to be a bit nicer these days, though.

:D I like that idea! :D

It's not at:

- My local Walmart

- Lowes in a bigger town

nothing.

thanks for any help!

chrisrayn

Bass Pro shop here in DFW had it for a while. I haven't checked in ages though. It was like $8 for a 60yard roll.

TGC

The wire is often fishing leaders and those are found in the sporting goods section, at WalMart. There's a multi pack of varying lengths.

This is for reference, it is a pdf file: http://eagleclawclassic.com/pdf/leaders_leader_links.pdf

You can screw an eye bolt through the lid and use epoxy, gorilla glue, or silicon to help keep it water tight. Add two or three small drops of super glue to the O-ring(without the lid on) otherwise they seem to fall off after a short time in the wild.

I prefer to spraypaint the match containers, you can rough them up using steel wool or a Scotch Pad then wipe off with alcohol. The new paints made for plastic seem to bond well to them and the lock-n-lock containers.

Some camo tape turns a bluish color when exposed to UV but I've found some plastic containers that were taped that held up well both with cloth and plastic tapes.

The WM stores are starting to bring in the Dove season items all ready, season starts in September and the rest of the hunting items will be coming in over the next month or so. If you aren't in a hurry you can just check back.

There are also plastic plants to be found over in the craft area that you can use to help disguise a container. I have one that is covered in a fake ivy that is in an ivy patch and it blends in really well. All sorts of camo ideas over there from using the plant shapes as patterns when you paint a container to using them to actually disguise it.

Have fun with it, making them can be as much fun as hiding them.

How to find camo duct tape?, I've looked EVERYwhere...

Ahh, the store shelf-colored duct tape? yeh that it hard to find.

Took me a minute to get that one... :D

I have bought some at Walmart, but it is hit and miss from one store to the next if they carry it. If they have it, it is in the sporting goods dept. Sporting good stores usually have it... I think I bought some at Dick's or Dunham's and I know I have got it from the local Army & Navy Store. You have to watch what you get though, some times you get the more paper stuff that is used for covering guns and bows and it isn't worth anything for covering caches.

I got my tape at TSC- I guess in the States is it called The Tractor Supply Company??? It was $9 for a larger roll- I saw a roll of non sticky camo covering at the hunting supply store and it was only a few yards for $8, so the TSC roll was a lot better deal.

I'd try a hunting store in your area maybe.

The WMs here stopped carrying camo tape last year. They redid the duct tape section in the paint department and have just about every color except camo. I started looking for it well before hunting season last year with no luck there or in the hunting section.

I did manage to find a small roll of the cloth camo tape at Dick's, but at $6 for 3 meters it just isn't worth it.

Paint wears off of plastic containers (Locn'n'Lock, matchstick tubes, etc)

I do like the idea of just buying a yard or two of cloth and using glue, so I may have to try that route.

In my area we prefer not to use camo duct tape - it seems to peel off the containers and not stick to itself. (Being able to survive extremes of temperature is a necessity here.)

We tend to use camo hockey tape, source: Canadian Tire. Try to hunt this out if you can - it works great and is very easy to use. Con - it is about 1" wide, so it takes longer to put it on.

Walmart restocked. I will consider this matter closed. lol...jk.

Actually, this topic led me to discover spraypainting as a more viable alternative.

That's good news! I posted this same topic to my local forums and got about the same responses. Wal-Mart is much more convenient then driving a ways to Bass Pro or Cabela's, and I hate to pay shipping for something like tape.

I've tried the cloth before with varying levels of success, but I'll try it again with Knight's instructions. :anibad:

I recently discovered my WalMart no longer carries camo duct tape either.

I switched to spray paint, the kind that is intended for plastic. I have one cache that's held up to about 8 months of caching and it's only scratched a little bit.

It goes MUCH farther than tape does and is much quicker to apply.

Also called "no-mar tape" by Remington.

Found at Walmart just last week in with the hunting supplies. 2"x10' roll for $5.47.

I have used this and the thing is to apply it and then heat it with a heat gun or lighter around corners and edges to make it softer and stick better.

Bruce.

I get mine at wallyworld

in hunting or paint sections

4 bucks for 20 yards x 2"

Remington is the brand name

Duck is another brand name but I think Remington just purchased

Duck

online sources were way to expensive

when applying to lock & locks I scuff plastic first before

putting tape on to ensure it holds well

then I used my gf's hairdrier to mold tape to box better

(dont tell her)

I usually scuff tape to take some of the shiny-ness off as well

for the un tapeable areas on box I paint either forest green or

tan to belnd with tape

for me this has worked well

have fun and happy hunting

I'm with the anti-tape contingent.

I bought two rolls of it at a hunting store, and they are both crap.

Won't even stay on the box long enough to get it out in the woods.

Cloth tape is better than plastic (which I will never buy again) but next time I'm going to paint, or like otherwise suggested, use cloth.

if you use cloth, get nylon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not get cotton!!!!!! It will just mold or rot.

Cordura brand (or similar) fabric is the best. It is stiffer and you'll have to cut to fit and use a good glue (like gorilla glue) but it will not rot or mold.

Be sure not to buy fabric that has any cotton content at all. Cordura does not.

Pack cloth would be good too. Just make sure it's NYLON pack cloth.

These are outdoor fabrics that are made to withstand the elements.