Request a "geocacher" to be banned

Yes, it's possible to ask. Actually, you just sortof did it.

But while there's nothing to stop you from asking for anything, there's also nothing forcing TPTB to honor your request.

In this specific case, however, there's a good chance that the account in question could get banned. But that person will just open a new account and keep on going. I don't know if they are willing and/or able to ban a specific IP address; and even if they are, that action only works if the perpetrator has a static IP.

Edit:

Incidentally, TB "prisons" are against the "spirit of geocaching".

Edited by J-Way

Tell me more about the cache itself... Was this person just being an idiot? Why would they "grope" it?.... Why toss it and all its contents?....

The best part about geocaching is that if, for whatever reason, at any given time, a cache could be picked up and moved, or recycled or whatever.... These things aren't permanent.... There's no ecological hazzard....

If nothing else, this activity gets people to excersize and out into the environment to see nature....

I'm no environmentalist :D , but stealing a geocache seems pretty stupid... And then joining geocaching.com to post on a cache page that you took the cache.... Wow... too much time on your hands... :)

I think they can ban an IP address, at least they should. I've seen cachers create sock puppets to be nasty and get caught, that would be the only way I see...

If they don't get banned I would be surprised. If we lived in the dark ages, this would be a "Torch and Pitchfork" moment. I have no sympathy for someone who thinks they are "holier than thou".

I visited a TB hotel once, discovered the TB's and about 3 hours later the owner found the thing missing. Every TB owner was blaming me. Bums me out every time I think of it.

I set up a TB hotel and made the request to trade bugs, but then read a thread about TB prisons and removed the requirement to trade TB's to take one. There are no TB's in it now, but people do use it since it's a large coffee can.

It will be best to send the information from the original post in an email addressed to contact@geocaching.com

Someone from Groundspeak will respond to you directly.

Groundspeak are fully aware of the actions of this and other accounts owned by the same group/person(s). Best advice is to delete any log made by the account to any geocache or TB/Geocoin, and to ignore the member completely. I'm sorry to say the chances of your TB being recovered is non existent. :)

The UK Reviewers are also advising those affected by these accounts not to discus them in public forums, as it is giving them gratification regarding their antics.

Deceangi

Sounds like a STING operation is in order.

You don't have to get violent with these people. You just have to let them know you know who they are and will be watching them.

You are correct.

That's exactly what happened with the oddball who started S-t-o-p-geocaching.com and started saying that geocachers were pedaphiles and such. :D

Piratecaching.com suffered the same fate. :D

It's easier to catch your local oddball on a local forum if you have one. Seen it personally.

They always hover around trying to be unseen, but IPs can be a dead giveaway since most oddballs don't take the time to use a proxy server.

EDIT WOW! still can't write stop and geocaching.com together. It auto edits.

Edited by Snoogans

No excuse for destroying the cache, however when I come across a travel bug prison such as yours, I tend to clean out all the bugs that are there more than two weeks or so if I can identify them, otherwise I just take them all and move them to another cache. The moderators and reviewers have commented on this many times.

"please do not take more TBs/Geocoins than you leave."

Travel bugs are meant to be moved and a cache owner does not have the right, nr should they ever restrict movement.

Even so, never a reason for destroying a cache.

I can't figure out what the OP is even trying to say. What is the issue? I clicked the links and don't see much of anything other than a TB prison that needs muggled and tossed over bridge somewhere.

This "issue" has been on-going in the UK for a while. Please note Deceangi's comments in post #9.

MrsB

Hi,

is it possible to request an account to be banned?

bittsen may be annoying sometimes but that's not reason to have his account banned. :D

Dat der is funny, I don't care who ya are...

:lol:

Remember, you don't have to be liked, to be popular!

I can't figure out what the OP is even trying to say. What is the issue? I clicked the links and don't see much of anything other than a TB prison that needs muggled and tossed over bridge somewhere.

It sounds like the issue is that this guy is actually destroying TBs and geocoins.

See the most recent log: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2353036

I see. Thanks.

TB's and coins have to die somewhere. I think that is their purpose in life.