Swap Swag/ Sherpa-like TBs?

Penguin_ar

I know when one uses a cute/ nice hitchhikers on one's TBs, they often go missing. Which led me to an idea for my next TB: a Swap Swag TB, where cachers would be actively encouraged to take the hitchhiker and add another, so the TB is constantly changing. I was thinking of buying a keychain or maybe a cheap bicycle lock (combination would be posted on the TB's webpage), add five or six small hitchhikers such as plastic toys, my own pathtag, cheap bracelet etc, and just letting it loose.

I know my idea isn't new, so I am looking for examples, suggestions of how to encourage people to swap hitchhikers, cautionary tales etc.

My mom found a TB that wanted you to add a keyring to the collection. Between where it started and when she had it, it got pretty big.

I also saw one that wanted you to add fire department patches to it. When I looked through it, there were patches from all over the country. It was pretty cool.

I know my idea isn't new, so I am looking for examples, suggestions of how to encourage people to swap hitchhikers, cautionary tales etc.

Sounds really neat. I've never picked up any like that. I know I would definitely swap/add to it if I did.

The only suggestion I can think of is to include the mission somehow with the TB... not only online.

The main problem would be people using something that would not make a good traveler (easily broken, collectable) or not properly securing the traveler to the tag. A separated tag is quickly lost.

Release something that could can stand as it's own travel bug - Dogtag, traveler, mission tag, all securely connected then allow people to add whatever in addition to your bug.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I like the bag idea. Let me propose to you that if you have a sturdy bag or box (whose lid is securely fastened), that you can embroider or engrave your TB number onto the bag or box. I would not recommend paint or markers or anything that could (easily) be scratched or washed off.

Please note that if you were to do this, you would need to keep the actual travel bug dog tags (both of them) at home.