Oregon 300 Sat page

I am pretty sure the picture answers the question for you. It claims 51ft accuracy, which puts you within that range.

I took that to mean GPS accuracy, not altimeter. Alsh he says his trip computer gives a different altitude reading of 150 ft. That's why I question the altimeter and barometer calibration.

Edited by ivhs72

satpage.jpg

Hi,

On this screen shot I took on my Oregon 300, it says 182ft. whats that all about?

Its not my hight because when i then look at the trip computer it says im 150 ft high.

Thanks

Have you done the altimeter and barometer calibrations?

Hi.

yes i did calibrate the altimeter, but did not know my correct height at the time so used the hight given by the gps. i then set auto calibration to off but its still different :) so i was wondering if it means something else

The accuracy is a sphere, not a circle, therefore the altitude is also affected by EPE. Perhaps to a lesser degree as it has a barometric sensor, yet a gps without a baro sensor can also tell you altitude.

That number that is displayed on the satellite screen is your elevation. Correct or not, thats what it represents.

Here is picture of my Colorado (similar screen to the oregon) next to a benchmark that is 6638ft elev. The sat screen clearly shows 6630ft in that position, which is well within tolerance considering I didn't have a WAAS lock.

Edited by savant9

The accuracy is a sphere, not a circle, therefore the altitude is also affected by EPE. Perhaps to a lesser degree as it has a barometric sensor, yet a gps without a baro sensor can also tell you altitude.

That number that is displayed on the satellite screen is your elevation. Correct or not, thats what it represents.

Here is picture of my Colorado (similar screen to the oregon) next to a benchmark that is 6638ft elev. The sat screen clearly shows 6630ft in that position, which is well within tolerance considering I didn't have a WAAS lock.

I see. Thanks.

Nice pic too.

How do you know if you have a WAAS lock? I had my Oregon from some time now and I just figured that you have waas if the bars on the screen are white instead of green (you have one white bar in your picture to check what I mean).

How do you know if you have a WAAS lock? I had my Oregon from some time now and I just figured that you have waas if the bars on the screen are white instead of green (you have one white bar in your picture to check what I mean).

No, the white bar I believe is when the GPS doesn't have a complete lock on that particular satellite. You will know if you have a WAAS lock if some of the green bars have the letter "D" on them, as seen in this pic:

waas.jpg

I calibrated my altimeter and barometer at the same time on my 550t. I did it a couple of times at two differnet locations where I was pretty sure of the altitude. I am under the impression that baromtetric pressure can affect the altimeter if it isn't correct. Am I wrong on that assumption?

satpage.jpg

Hi,

On this screen shot I took on my Oregon 300, it says 182ft. whats that all about?

Its not my hight because when i then look at the trip computer it says im 150 ft high.

Thanks

Have you done the altimeter and barometer calibrations?

Hi.

yes i did calibrate the altimeter, but did not know my correct height at the time so used the hight given by the gps. i then set auto calibration to off but its still different :) so i was wondering if it means something else

No, the white bar I believe is when the GPS doesn't have a complete lock on that particular satellite. You will know if you have a WAAS lock if some of the green bars have the letter "D" on them.

Sorry to be OT again but I have never seen this letter so that means that I never used/had/received WAAS? And I don't know if WAAS is available in Europe (we have EGNOS) so I'm not sure if it's the same thing and if I get any D's with it or if my Oregon can even receive it. Edited by Team Veverca

No, the white bar I believe is when the GPS doesn't have a complete lock on that particular satellite. You will know if you have a WAAS lock if some of the green bars have the letter "D" on them.

Sorry to be OT again but I have never seen this letter so that means that I never used/had/received WAAS? And I don't know if WAAS is available in Europe (we have EGNOS) so I'm not sure if it's the same thing and if I get any D's with it or if my Oregon can even receive it.

Go into your Oregon's setup screen, under System > GPS. The selections on the US model are Normal/WAAS/Demo. You get WAAS by selecting it, I don't know what is used for Normal. I'm not sure if models in Europe are the same or not, but that is what is here.

Sorry to be OT again but I have never seen this letter so that means that I never used/had/received WAAS? And I don't know if WAAS is available in Europe (we have EGNOS) so I'm not sure if it's the same thing and if I get any D's with it or if my Oregon can even receive it.

Yes, you CAN get EGNOS/WAAS in Europe as well. I have the Oregon 300 and found these birds a couple of times. I'm probably too far up north (N56º/Sweden) to get a good lock so I've shut it off completely but as I said, it IS possible.

You can use waas/egnos in Europe, BUT does not add a better precision, takes more time to lock and uses more batt. juice. Just try once in a while, if it never locks you don't have it on your location, if it locks look at the Epe, if it makes you happy, keep it on.

No, the white bar I believe is when the GPS doesn't have a complete lock on that particular satellite. You will know if you have a WAAS lock if some of the green bars have the letter "D" on them, as seen in this pic:

waas.jpg

I don't get the Letter.

Edited by XRSTOY1

waas.jpg

Sorry this was my first post/reply..I live in the Chicago area I have waas enebled I see white Bars but never have seen the letter "D" I have firmware 3.10 So I should get a lock. I heard something about "downloading Info from the correction bird, how long should that take?...Sorry for the double post

Edited by XRSTOY1

WAAS on the Oregon does not work very well, the lock times can be pretty long (3-6 minutes in my experiences) and once you are receiving corrections (the little "D"s on the satellite page) it is very easy to drop the signal with the WAAS satellite.

If you have WAAS enabled let the unit sit with clear view of the SW sky (I think that this is right for your area of the country) for about 5 minutes. Eventually you'll see "D"'s.

WAAS on the Oregon does not work very well, the lock times can be pretty long (3-6 minutes in my experiences) and once you are receiving corrections (the little "D"s on the satellite page) it is very easy to drop the signal with the WAAS satellite.

If you have WAAS enabled let the unit sit with clear view of the SW sky (I think that this is right for your area of the country) for about 5 minutes. Eventually you'll see "D"'s.

Thanks I found that out yesterday I did get them bet the next time I turned it on I couldn't but I do understand how it works now thanks