Off Week – Off Trail – Hike of the Month

Criminal

Seriously folks, this is a three hour hike. If anyone was looking for a good warm-up type trek, this is it. As a day hike, this one is hard to top. Ironman knows the way, it's short, and you get a free fish fry in the middle. If you've never done a HOM but were thinking about giving it a go, chime in. We'll take care of you! I have a water filter so all you need is a light day-pack, some lunch in case the fish aren't biting, and a canteen. If you have any questions or gear needs, let us know, I have lots of spares, extras, and doubles of most everything.

Don't waste the summer! When the rain comes you'll regret all the beautiful days you sat at home.

TL, rest that back. The Wonder Mountain and lake 3995 three-day-er is coming up.

Your killing me Crim. Sounds great but I just can't get over that far this weekend :mad:

What AndrewRJ said!!!!

Monte Cristo two weeks ago,the coast last weekend, a possible trip to Vantage next weekend, Mt Rainier the next, the Tri Cities a couple weeks after that, Lake Valhalla for a possible over nighter the next weekend. I gota spend some time at home to work on the honeydo list.

We discussed the weather at the pre-hike planning event at the Parkway Tavern over some beers and burgers, and decided that there was no hurry to get this one re-done.

We both decided we'd rather sleep in than hike in the rain, so that's the plan right now.

Arrogant Bastard will do that to ya.

mainpage.jpg

Edited by Criminal

Revision E to Plan 4, new schedule:

This is now a day hike. Meet at the supermarket parking lot in Montesano, it's easy to find as there's only one. We'll be leaving the parking lot at 0900. Be there prior.

Don't forget your fishing pole!

Edited by Criminal

This is for tomorrow, Sunday the 23rd so there is no confusion

Thanks for clarifying that. I was wondering how y'all could be leaving at 9 am today and expect folks to come, esp. when Crim posted that at 10:30. :P

I believe I'm in - see you there! Somebody send me a cell # in case I get stuck in traffic or sumthin.

We made it in and out alive and in one piece. Despite what others may tell ya'all the road in was very good shape and quite wide where they fixed the narrow spots near the top. Last year I only had 4" on each side of my tires for roadway.

Met four others fishing there. Never have seen anyone there before.

The cache was found, fish were caught and fun was had by all. The sun never did quite break through the low hanging clouds. Criminal and Hydnsek should have a few pics.

Sad to say though, by the time we got back to civilization at 9:30 p.m. they had rolled up their sidewalks and pizza or burgers and beer were not available. :)

Edit to add:

At one point on the way in we all experienced a VERY strong maple syrup smell. I kept looking to see if someone on an overnight trip had broken a bottle. On the way out we all smelled it at the same exact spot. We did finally solve the puzzle though.

Edited by ironman114

Some pics and a little trip report teaser from the hike:

After a short rest, we gathered our stuff and headed back up the hill to the ridge top. Once we were back to the side-hill part, we began to realize how tired we all were. Now, there is one particularly difficult and dangerous spot along the trail and that’s right where we had a bit of a fright. Since there’s no ledge in that spot to get a secure footing, but just a steep, slippery, and crumbly hillside, someone has tied a rope to a stout tree above to give something to hold onto. I should qualify the term ‘rope’ before I continue. To call that fibrous strand a ‘rope’ is being unnecessarily gracious and to call it ‘twine’ would be only mildly insulting. Ironman, in the lead, made his way across and waited far enough along so I would have room to cross. After I made my way to the tree on other side, I tossed the rope back to Hydnsek and waited at the far edge just in case she had any difficulties. With the rope in hand, she stepped out onto the zero-footing hillside and her feet slid out hard from underneath her, dirt and rocks cascading into the valley far below.

Three part pano of the lake:

49a928cd-c55f-46fd-938f-daa03deecf59.jpg

One of the few places one can stand without holding on to something (or someone):

67923c71-cbb2-48bc-9563-457ef2c477c1.jpg

Sometimes, close to the ground is better:

e84d42f3-a8db-4560-aa33-8c1dbc13eb04.jpg

:ph34r: Just not FAIR!

You folks had so much fun and I got stuck at home Saturday and Dog Show on Sunday.

Great Trip report, glad everyone is got out safe and sound with no bruises. :P

I have one bruise on my knee from falling crossing a log at the lake. Both times I crossed it.

One blister on right foot and sore ankle on left foot today.

Ok. I'll bite. What was causing the maple smell?

I haven't figure out what plant it was yet. Hydnsek didn't know its name either.

Turns out my initial on-site guess was right - a bit of googling confirmed it's cow parsnip (hogweed).

Hydnsek is aware, but folks want to be wary of this plant. This plant has a sap that can make you very photosensitive. That is it causes severe sunburn on exposure to relatively small amounts of sunlight, with rash and blistering appearing within a few minutes: accordingly immediately covering sap-affected skin can prevent the dermatitis in many cases.

It was one of the noxious plants showcased at my first geocache.

I haven't figure out what plant it was yet. Hydnsek didn't know its name either.

Turns out my initial on-site guess was right - a bit of googling confirmed it's cow parsnip (hogweed).

Hydnsek is aware, but folks want to be wary of this plant. This plant has a sap that can make you very photosensitive. That is it causes severe sunburn on exposure to relatively small amounts of sunlight, with rash and blistering appearing within a few minutes: accordingly immediately covering sap-affected skin can prevent the dermatitis in many cases.

Actually, cow parsnip (common hogweed) doesn't cause that reaction. I've handled it before. It's giant hogweed (different species, but also in the carrot family) that causes the dermatitis reaction, as noted on the page you linked to - and I didn't know that until I googled it yesterday. However, they are often confused (as we've demonstrated), so best advice is to leave them all alone - esp. since they can also be confused with members of the parsley family, including water hemlock, which is highly poisonous (think Socrates).

Actually, cow parsnip (common hogweed) doesn't cause that reaction. I've handled it before. It's giant hogweed (different species, but also in the carrot family) that causes the dermatitis reaction, as noted on the page you linked to - and I didn't know that until I googled it yesterday. However, they are often confused (as we've demonstrated), so best advice is to leave them all alone - esp. since they can also be confused with members of the parsley family, including water hemlock, which is highly poisonous (think Socrates).

That's a good point to know. The best way to tell when you're looking at "Giant Hogweed" is it can become very tall sometimes to 10-12' is what I have seen. Regardless of size, this will also be accompanied by dark reddish to purplish trunks late spring through fall.

Edited by TotemLake

It was last year's Hike of the Year, and it was so good it needs a second doing. Mark your calendars for a Labor Day weekend hike up to Lake 3995 in the Wonder Mountain Wilderness. The plan is to hike in on Saturday and stay until Monday. If some of the party wants to hike out on Sunday, that's perfectly acceptable. This is a true wilderness hike, so plan and pack accordingly. I will have my water filter so you need not carry one if you don't want to. The fishing is excellent, so bring your pole.

If there's no takers, I suppose I'll call it a vision quest and go alone. :ph34r:

Post any questions here in the forum or send me a PM.

e8276e64-e7ba-454f-afb0-2c01a7a8020b.jpg

Edited by Criminal

This the wrong time of the year for me to take leave, but it's the last year. I should have 370 days till I start terminal leave.

Who's this Square Bear dude and what's someone from the Midwest doing poking their nose around in Northwest stuff anyway?

well he is a WSGA member and has pictures of hikes he has done in Western Washington.

Jim

This the wrong time of the year for me to take leave, but it's the last year. I should have 370 days till I start terminal leave.

Who's this Square Bear dude and what's someone from the Midwest doing poking their nose around in Northwest stuff anyway?

well he is a WSGA member and has pictures of hikes he has done in Western Washington.

Jim

Jim

Landrover knows him well. He used to be a local cacher till the military offered him a job he couldn't refuse.

LR, enomicons, they really help. :unsure:

Landrover knows him well. He used to be a local cacher till the military offered him a job he couldn't refuse.

LR, enomicons, they really help. :blink:

Ah, that would have helped, or knowing the history would have helped. Thanks Andrew.

I know about the jobs you can't refuse in the military. Got to see lots of states because of that. :unsure:

Jim

Ok I'm in and the backpack is ready at 47 lbs. I'll need coords to meet at so we can carpool in.

:P

You better dump at least 10# from that pack, it's a long way up the ridge!

If you want, we can arrange a pre-hike meeting at the local tavern Thursday night to go over some equipment issues. We all don't need to carry redundant pieces (we don't need six water filters, etc.). Nevertheless, we're going to be up there for three days and two nights, anyone who drops out will have to camp by the river until we come back (if we come back).

For anyone else interested, remember; packing light is packing right. Dump anything you don't absolutely need. If you decide to ignore my advice, I suppose you can cache it along the route on the way in, we'll be coming out the same way.

I'm disappointed Hydnsek has opted out. It's not like there's any danger (we can't overcome). :)

Edited by Criminal

Ok I'm in and the backpack is ready at 47 lbs. I'll need coords to meet at so we can carpool in.

:P

If you want, we can arrange a pre-hike meeting at the local tavern Thursday night to go over some equipment issues. We all don't need to carry redundant pieces (we don't need six water filters, etc.). Nevertheless, we're going to be up there for three days and two nights, anyone who drops out will have to camp by the river until we come back (if we come back).

For anyone else interested, remember; packing light is packing right. Dump anything you don't absolutely need. If you decide to ignore my advice, I suppose you can cache it along the route on the way in, we'll be coming out the same way.

I'm disappointed Hydnsek has opted out. It's not like there's any danger (we can't overcome). :)

That's 20# less than I normally carry. :)

I'm not giving up my pad and I only have one tent to work with. That's 10# for the both. I'll go over my gear some more. My purchases weren't designed for bushwhacking.

:blink:

I'm disappointed Hydnsek has opted out. It's not like there's any danger (we can't overcome). :D

Sorry I can't make it Thursday. I am currently working in Seattle on a 5 pm to 3 am shift on the 62nd floor of the Municiple bldg.

I don't work Friday however so I will get enough sleep for the Hike Saturday. :D

:rolleyes:

I'm disappointed Hydnsek has opted out. It's not like there's any danger (we can't overcome). :ph34r:

Sorry I can't make it Thursday. I am currently working in Seattle on a 5 pm to 3 am shift on the 62nd floor of the Municiple bldg.

I don't work Friday however so I will get enough sleep for the Hike Saturday. :)

You're starting in Seattle when I'm busting my buns to get outta there.

I'll be at the Parkway on Thursday at around 5:30.

:rolleyes:

I'm disappointed Hydnsek has opted out. It's not like there's any danger (we can't overcome). :ph34r:

I don't work Friday however so I will get enough sleep for the Hike Saturday. :)

You're starting in Seattle when I'm busting my buns to get outta there.

I'll be at the Parkway on Thursday at around 5:30.

Well, so far the weekend weather doesn't look like it wants to play nice. We'll see.....

I noticed. I'm not willing to bushwhack in all day rain. Weather watch is on. Failing this I will be going on a camp hike. I just haven't decided on a backup plan.

Yeah, the sucky weekend weather forecast (and my missing cats) nixed my trip to the North Cascades. No point camping for three nights in the rain and slogging up the mountains to see nuthin'. Was really looking forward to this, bummer. All this great weather - until the holiday weekend.

Well, hike or no hike we're still meeting tonight around 5:30ish to discuss hiking, drink beer, and eat fud. Mostly we're going to drink beer. If anyone else likes beer, they're welcome to join us at the Parkway Tavern in Tacoma. We'll be there drinking beer and eating and talking. But mostly drinking beer. Well, I'm sure somebody will say something once and a while, we're not all just going to sit there staring at the table.

Well, hike or no hike we're still meeting tonight around 5:30ish to discuss hiking, drink beer, and eat fud. Mostly we're going to drink beer. If anyone else likes beer, they're welcome to join us at the Parkway Tavern in Tacoma. We'll be there drinking beer and eating and talking. But mostly drinking beer. Well, I'm sure somebody will say something once and a while, we're not all just going to sit there staring at the table.

DARN IT!!!! I'm stuck here at the house. Fe is on night shift. If Fe was still on days, I would be having our son drive me up there for a beer and a burger.

Nothing like a good burger and a Arrogant Bastard beer! :D

I just like to watch the drunks :D

So far the weather looks like it's not so very good. It hasn't changed from this morning's forecast.

The associated cold front will rotate out of the Gulf of Alaska low early on Saturday for increasingly steady rain by daybreak. The front should move through around midday followed by off and on showers in the afternoon and a few sunbreaks. There may be a pause in the showers Saturday evening before the low slips closer to the coast and rotates more steady rain into western Washington on Sunday morning. Sunday should be wet and cool with highs only around 60 and snow level down to 6,000 feet. There could be some scattered thundershowers later in the day as the upper level low moves inland.

I guess I'm sleeping in tomorrow.

Look for a new version of the Northwest Trails Project translated to DeLorme. I might even post 3-D aerials of the hike that almost was. :P

Yes, even the most beautiful high mountain lake isn't much fun when you're wet. The ten day forecast shows next weekend looking pretty good, so I may make it a three day weekend and go then.

Look for a new version of the Northwest Trails Project translated to DeLorme. I might even post 3-D aerials of the hike that almost was. :laughing:

Yes, even the most beautiful high mountain lake isn't much fun when you're wet. The ten day forecast shows next weekend looking pretty good, so I may make it a three day weekend and go then.

:laughing::anitongue:

I won't get off work till 3 am Saturday next week. We worked 10 hour days this week so we could have a 4 day rain filled weekend. :anibad:

Good part is I slept in till after noon two mornings in a row! :laughing:

Look for a new version of the Northwest Trails Project translated to DeLorme. I might even post 3-D aerials of the hike that almost was. :laughing:

:laughing::anitongue:

I won't get off work till 3 am Saturday next week. We worked 10 hour days this week so we could have a 4 day rain filled weekend. :anibad:

Good part is I slept in till after noon two mornings in a row! :laughing:

Unfortunately, my weekends are booked through to the end of the month. I guess, for me, this will be a next year thing yet again. :laughing:

Lake 3995 Wonder Mountain Wilderness.

OK, the weather looks good for the weekend, so I will head up on Friday and stay until Sunday. If anyone wants to come but can't go on Friday, feel free to head up on Saturday. The wildlife gates close at the end of the month, so if you want to visit this incredibly beautiful lake and wilderness, you better do it soon.

For directions to the turn point where you leave the trail, contact either me or Ironman114. The simple directions are:

Hike the Skokomish River Trail 2.5 miles in, fill up your water at the creek where it crosses the trail.

Continue a couple hundred yards or so looking to the right up the hillside for some ribbons.

Jink west as you go up, aiming to drop into the draw that is clearly visible and followable.

Follow the draw up the hillside to the saddle, go through and follow the ribbons westerly.

When you see the lake, follow the way trail down.

6bd1efd7-4a4a-4cd7-ba64-6b22650dc3ff.jpg

Edited by Criminal