Off Week – Off Trail – Hike of the Month

Criminal

Our hikes this season will be to trail-less destinations for the most part. Here’s the short list in no particular order:

Mount O’Neil (Baldy) taking the USGS benchmark route. (Overnighter)

Return to Dream Lake (Overnighter + Fishing)

Return to Lake 3995 Wonder Mountain Wilderness (Overnighter + Fishing)

Tucker Lake (Boulder River area)

Search for the point of impact and wreckage trail for the SB-17 in Tull's Canyon.

That waterfall across the valley from Big Hump.

I also have some so-called "secret" lakes I'm trying to get more info on.

No, it's not likely we'll get to them all, but the first three are highest on the priority list.

Any interest? Other destinations? Let me know.

First hike is planned for this Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday.

Edited by Criminal

I did try to make O’Neil two weeks ago (solo) but had to abort after I climbed the ridge three times only to discover it was a shear cliff off the west side. So I’m calling that a ‘scouting trip’ so next time it’ll be much easier. My plan for this weekend is to lighten the pack considerably and do it again. I’ll be placing a summit register and might see if it’ll fly as a geocache (not sure about the wilderness rules anymore. Sigh, it used to be so much easier before…).

The plan, in rough form, is to hike in to a good base camp area near the summit of Colonel Bob, then light out early in the morning for O’Neil with just a light daypack. Then back to the base camp, pack up, and head down the mountain. Then I’ll limp around for a couple of days (again) and start planning the next hike.

Baldy is just over that peak in the center:

425f9dc6-b283-4b4f-8f62-0ff3fabacf14.jpg

The pond mentioned in the USGS benchmark directions:

edc4e5b5-6a7c-4744-95a4-26dab1025ffc.jpg

Tent night and day:

756823b3-e789-48da-9ee1-36154792e295.jpg

780d9bc1-0009-4ea1-9b88-5f69671ba19d.jpg

How you get there:

f768cd2f-e0bb-4349-a8ad-3a0658ec28b1.jpg

Edited by Criminal

Our hikes this season will be to trail-less destinations for the most part. Here’s the short list in no particular order:

Search for the point of impact and wreckage trail for the SB-17 in Tull's Canyon.

No, it's not likely we'll get to them all, but the first three are highest on the priority list.

This weekend is too close for me to plan but I do have an interest.

This weekend is too close for me to plan but I do have an interest.

Well, I'm going to need written permission and a Hold Harmless agreement from Mrs. Lake for that. :D

:blink:

I am in Criminal, just as long as I am CONUS. (You know how it goes) Obviously I am in VA for the next three weeks, but once I get back to WA and resettled I'll be dying to get back in the woods. The woods out here are not so much fun and full of Chiggers and ticks. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks, -CK

One down.

Reading the first page it looks like there's another summit register over on Wooded Peak as well.

Sigh.....

c55aa43c-762e-4ce7-a2ca-58977b5f31f0.jpg

Criminal summited Mt O'Neil this morning at 08:51. First summit registry entry was Aug 30, 1994, the last one was April 29, 2004... until today. WTG Crim!

Want to hear something wild? On my way down the Colonel Bob trail I met the guys who wrote the log for 30 Aug 2004 (and a few others as they'd been there several times). Small world hey?

Here's the pics, a couple repeats:

Topo:

1f19585e-67fe-4c9e-ba4f-9be1f0453ad8.jpg

Wooded Peak:

9edd9d20-1d35-4e61-a190-ca404bc7cb2d.jpg

The Pond mentioned in the USGS report, a good nav point:

d341c153-87ea-454d-8450-70949c90934c.jpg

Mike's Spike:

faa587b8-6b14-4d74-a16b-48e4c2806bed.jpg

12a83455-4ee3-4c2a-bf30-d587e4867110.jpg

My Campsite:

fc604a57-7c22-4d19-a060-e648e00dde15.jpg

The Ridge, the Col Bob summit is off scene to the right. The high peak in the center hides O'Neil.

416e6d60-bc31-4017-878e-12d155ee49e3.jpg

The same ridge from the other side, Col Bob summit is on the left:

67b9c925-0557-4671-8883-7c2aff9b267c.jpg

I'm in the saddle below O'Neil:

d92f05c9-bd3e-4ced-a5dc-cfd0e5e62ac2.jpg

The summit register:

33c212de-1aa1-4a65-90e1-4e8048f3bf32.jpg

Signing the logbook:

d6edf2cb-456c-42b5-bb55-79f929b6179d.jpg

The old Garmin V on top of the summit benchmark:

b9110ffb-99fc-4df1-b62c-db0cede38f45.jpg

Traveling light is traveling best:

db4c40f5-e20c-45cc-bac4-3efafc7a6e84.jpg

My leg. A self-timer error:

79cd8b2c-fdb0-4001-8634-cb14b23db8c9.jpg

On the summit looking for the reference marks:

6c3a6dbd-1b07-4724-854b-7b8971c366e4.jpg

The Quinault Valley socked in:

c06866f1-2d92-498d-8114-0b1f18e34ef1.jpg

This flew by. The camera is zoomed to the max. What is it?

1ebd87e2-34d8-414c-b87c-fb43f8fd7942.jpg5cf8725b-fd67-4a53-9a1b-fd597c24e3aa.jpg173a336c-70de-4399-9cac-f1f8704018a2.jpg

Lots of tree blazes ON THE WAY OUT!

779aaf4b-e365-4b13-a7f2-02d8064e8909.jpg

Great photos, looks like a really nice trip. The bird I think is an adolescent Bald Eagle. Did you go solo?

Jim

Yes, I announced the hike but there were no takers.

Here's the trip report:

QUINAULT LAKE MAY BE REACHED EITHER FROM HOQUIAM BY STAGE OR FROM TAHOLAH BY CANOE. FROM INGRAMS STORE AT THE SE END OF THE LAKE FOLLOW THE ROAD ALONG THE UPPER QUINAULT RIVER FOR ABOUT 4 MILES, ABOUT 2-1/2 MILES BEYOND THE SAW MILL, THEN TURN UP THE FIRST ROAD TO THE RIGHT AND WHERE IT PASSES THE SPLIT CEDAR LOG AND TURNS TO THE LEFT, THERE YOU KEEP ON STRAIGHT AHEAD AND STRIKE THE RIDGE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND FOLLOW IT. THE RIDGE TO FOLLOW IS THE ONE SLOPING MORE GRADUALLY AND THE ONE HAVING THE ROCKY OUTCROP AT THE TOP CALLED THE LOOKOUT. ON NEARING BALDY THE TRAIL BENDS TO THE RIGHT OF THE RIDGE AND GOES INTO THE SNOW FIELD, FROM THE TOP OF THIS A SHORT BUT STEEP ELK TRAIL LEADS TO THE WOODED SADDLE WHICH DIVIDES THE QUINAULT AND HUMPTULIPS VALLEYS, HERE TURN TO THE RIGHT AND GO UP THE ROCKY SLOPE TO THE STATION, APPROACHING IT FROM THE ESE. WATER AT THE SNOW FIELD 1/3 MILE FROM STATION. ADVISABLE TO TAKE A GUIDE FOR FIRST TRIP.

The quote above in from the USGS benchmark directions from 1913 to the summit of Mount O’Neil, also known as Baldy. I don’t know the history of the name change but the locals still call it Baldy. The directions from 1941 are a bit easier to follow though, so those were the ones I used. The Ewell Creek trail is now the Colonel Bob Trail, currently impassable with all the blow downs. Fortunately, it’s easier to hike in on the Pete’s Creek Trail, which is what I did. Getting to the trailhead late in the afternoon (later than I wanted to thanks to the re-oiling of highway 101) I headed up the Pete’s Creek Trail. I left the trail per the 1941 directions and set up a base camp.

The biting flies and giant horseflies drove me into the tent; some mosquitoes joined them later in the evening to torment me further. The next morning I started down into the valley at 0645 finding the pond mentioned by the USGS report. I staged a bottle of water here for the return, as the butt-pack I was using only has provision to hold one water bottle. I started going west from the pond, looking (unsuccessfully) for anything that looked like a trail, and headed around the western end of the ridge, never finding the “dim trail” mentioned. I did a lot of wondering exactly what a tree blaze would look like after 68 years but I never saw even one on the way over. Climbing up at the end of the ridge (where it turns to the north), I took a few too many chances on some pretty precarious ledges, deciding I was simply going to have to try to find a better, and safer, way back. I’m not too comfortable trusting my life and limb to little fir trees and blueberry bushes. After ascending to the top of the high peak at the end of the ridge, I found an elk trail that led along the spine of the ridge towards the saddle between there and O’Neil. The elk must have been just ahead of me judging from the fresh scat on the trail.

The saddle was tough going as there are a lot of blow downs. I imagine the wind must come through here pretty strong, trees were down all over at the low point. At 0810 I was staring at the rock wall at the base of O’Neil and trying to find a way up. Climbing up from one small bench to the next, I again made good use of the bushes to pull myself up (yeah, I know…). At 0850 I reached the summit and found the summit register. The first entry was dated 30 August 1994 and the last one was 29 April 2004. That means I was (most likely) the first one there in five years. (This is something I’m not sure about, finding a later date in the logbook when I got home and examined the pictures. This may have been an entry error but I cannot be sure.) The logbook contained less than a dozen entries, and many of those were repeats. I found a lot of nails on the summit; either from a lookout or most likely, from the stand made by the surveyors. The summit was hot and my one little water bottle empty so I didn’t spend much time up there. I looked around, found the benchmark and two of the reference marks and wrote my entry in the summit log. There was a thick cloud layer in the Quinault Valley below. I put a new bag around the book and left a better, weatherproof, container in place of the open-ended iron pipe. At 0945 I headed, with some trepidation, back down the mountain the way I came.

Without getting dead or maimed I reached the saddle and crossed the blow down farm, picking up the elk trail traveling south easterly. In this direction, I was easily spotting tree blazes and even a few fluttering pieces of surveyors tape. I followed the marked trail all the way back to the pond, along a much better and safer route than I took going in. I made it back to my base camp at 1050, changed my socks and hefted the big pack to leave. Now, here’s the truly wild part. As I descended towards Moonshine Flats, I passed a gentleman hiking up to the Colonel Bob summit. He asked how the Bob summit looked that morning and I told him that I had gone to O’Neil instead. He was surprised, and we started discussing the remote peak. His hiking partner, who was making his 86th climb to the top of Mount Colonel Bob, soon joined us. It turns out that they had signed that logbook a few times. They were also the first to summit in the new millennium! They had a lot of knowledge of the whole area and I wish I could have spent more time talking to both of them, but they had someplace to go and I was hot, stinking, and tired, so we parted company.

Hey Crim. I clicked on your "Real Music" link and have been sucked into watching Harmonica videos on Youtube for the last hour and a half. Thanks, the stuff is addicting. My father plays a little bit, but I think I need to give it a shot, if for nothing else but to give the Coyotes something real to cry about.

I liked your write up on the climb and would have loved to had thrown my name in the hat to go with. Listen, I'd really like to do a climb with you this year before the weather changes seasons on us. I told myself last year that I wouldn't let the Winter come before I did a HOTM with you all and, well, Winter has come and gone. So, I will be doing my damndest to make it happen this Summer or Fall.

You know I sit over here in my "comfortable" hotel room with room service and all that, but I'd gladly trade it for a an annoying rock or limb digging into my back all night while I try to sleep in a tent while out on a hike with you or Ruck. I live my life vicariously through yours and Rucks logs and write-ups while I'm stuck in places like this or Afghanistan. So thanks and keep them coming.

'Till I get back out West....

-CK

As I suspected, making the summit a geocache will not be possible due to the new “permission” requirements. The reviewer linked me to www.wilderness.net but I have no idea why as they don’t make policy for the various agencies that oversee the parks, forests, and wildernesses. From what I’ve read on their website, they don’t seem to have any authority over anything except their site.

Although I made it plain that I brought the container up there, the following was cited as a reason:

Although there have been some caches accepted in the past that are similar to this one, we try to stick to a policy of not posting caches consisting of preexisting boxes and summit registers. For a variety of reasons, we feel it is best that the person who placed the box and is responsible for maintaining it is the one to post it as a cache.

When I pointed out again that I brought the container, I received this:

Although the image didn't get cross posted to your cache page, your account on your local forum indicates a preexisting summit register dating back to 1994. Regardless, the listing's location in a wilderness area still makes it unpublishable (sic) unless permission was obtained from the land manager.

This was sort of funny (and the implication that I was being dishonest a lot insulting), as the pictures in the forums are linked from the cache page. This also sets up an interesting dichotomy within the agencies that administer the land; a summit register, which consists of a container and a logbook, is allowed without any permission, however, a geocache, which consists of a container and a logbook, is forbidden without permission. :anibad:

The geocaches that now sit in the various wilderness areas appear to be grandfathered in since nobody is demanding permission be obtained to keep them. It would appear then that the wildernesses have all the geocaches they will ever have, and are thus pretty valuable in that sense (unless permission is obtainable).

Another amusing aspect of my attempt to make this a geocache is that when I wrote the cache page I inserted a stat counter in the HTML code. Aside from the reviewer, 14 other unique IP addresses were able to visit the page, including the United Kingdom and someone working at Honeywell International in NJ. Seems a bit excessive for a geocache I didn’t really expect to get approved anyway. B)

So I suppose an advisement is in order for those wishing to join me on any of these hikes. Of the list as it stands right now, only Dream Lake and Tull’s Canyon have any opportunity for finding (EDIT to add) or placing a geocache. If that is important to you, my destinations are probably going to disappoint.

Edited by Criminal

As I suspected, making the summit a geocache will not be possible due to the new “permission” requirements. The reviewer linked me to www.wilderness.net but I have no idea why as they don’t make policy for the various agencies that oversee the parks, forests, and wildernesses. From what I’ve read on their website, they don’t seem to have any authority over anything except their site.

Although I made it plain that I brought the container up there, the following was cited as a reason:

Although there have been some caches accepted in the past that are similar to this one, we try to stick to a policy of not posting caches consisting of preexisting boxes and summit registers. For a variety of reasons, we feel it is best that the person who placed the box and is responsible for maintaining it is the one to post it as a cache.

When I pointed out again that I brought the container, I received this:

Although the image didn't get cross posted to your cache page, your account on your local forum indicates a preexisting summit register dating back to 1994. Regardless, the listing's location in a wilderness area still makes it unpublishable (sic) unless permission was obtained from the land manager.

This was sort of funny (and the implication that I was being dishonest a lot insulting), as the pictures in the forums are linked from the cache page. This also sets up an interesting dichotomy within the agencies that administer the land; a summit register, which consists of a container and a logbook, is allowed without any permission, however, a geocache, which consists of a container and a logbook, is forbidden without permission. :anibad:

The geocaches that now sit in the various wilderness areas appear to be grandfathered in since nobody is demanding permission be obtained to keep them. It would appear then that the wildernesses have all the geocaches they will ever have, and are thus pretty valuable in that sense (unless permission is obtainable).

Another amusing aspect of my attempt to make this a geocache is that when I wrote the cache page I inserted a stat counter in the HTML code. Aside from the reviewer, 14 other unique IP addresses were able to visit the page, including the United Kingdom and someone working at Honeywell International in NJ. Seems a bit excessive for a geocache I didn’t really expect to get approved anyway. B)

So I suppose an advisement is in order for those wishing to join me on any of these hikes. Of the list as it stands right now, only Dream Lake and Tull’s Canyon have any opportunity for finding (EDIT to add) or placing a geocache. If that is important to you, my destinations are probably going to disappoint.

Those other IP addresses might be spiders crawling to index for search engines. Honeywell also houses thier systems in shared data centers.

:) Mr. Crim,

I think your radar has overlooked a zone.

The following 2 cachers have your Agenda written all over them. They Ooze waiting for the picking but not for just anyone as they are remote but guarantee the Adventurer a trip one can place their name on.

I'm sure there would be a crowd waiting for the go ahead. I know I've been trying to figure out a time to accomplish these 2 unique isolated spots.

Check them out and throw your opinion out so other's may see what you have to say and may want to attempt the Adventure.

You Better be an Ace GCJRW0

Loch Katrine Monster GCYJ2X

The following 2 cachers have your Agenda written all over them. They Ooze waiting for the picking but not for just anyone as they are remote but guarantee the Adventurer a trip one can place their name on.

I'm sure there would be a crowd waiting for the go ahead. I know I've been trying to figure out a time to accomplish these 2 unique isolated spots.

Check them out and throw your opinion out so other's may see what you have to say and may want to attempt the Adventure.

Loch Katrine Monster is a road walk, an abandoned road walk, but it is a road walk. It's the last 600' to the cache that is the challange.

A hike I have been looking at for a while is Lake Philippa.

Of course either will have to wait until the are is open again.(linky thing here)

Loch Katrine Monster is a road walk, an abandoned road walk, but it is a road walk. It's the last 600' to the cache that is the challange.

Of course either will have to wait until the are is open again.(linky thing here)

Apprently that forum doesn't allow direct links to the posts. I can get to the forums but not directly via your link.

Apprently that forum doesn't allow direct links to the posts. I can get to the forums but not directly via your link.

The links work for me but here's the URL's for those it doesn't work for.

Lake Philippa >> www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14571

Road Closure>> www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7977208

Even though it isn’t on the list, I’ve been wanting to go back to Klone Lake and do some fishing. So after nagging Ironman for months, it looks like he’s giving the green light to guide us in there again. There is actually a Ruck geocache at the end of this trail.

This is a relatively easy off-trail hike, not very far and the terrain is moderate.

If anyone is interested, let us know and we’ll arrange a meet-up place. You can do this as an easy day hike but we’re planning to stay the night and get some fishing in, do either one it’s up to you.

Even though it isn’t on the list, I’ve been wanting to go back to Klone Lake and do some fishing. So after nagging Ironman for months, it looks like he’s giving the green light to guide us in there again. There is actually a Ruck geocache at the end of this trail.

This is a relatively easy off-trail hike, not very far and the terrain is moderate.

If anyone is interested, let us know and we’ll arrange a meet-up place. You can do this as an easy day hike but we’re planning to stay the night and get some fishing in, do either one it’s up to you.

I'd definitely be interested depending on the date of the trip.

This Saturday.

This Saturday.

Yes, this Saturday. I'll be in Elma sometime between 9am and 10am. No hurry since it's a pretty short hike. If anyone is interested, best chime in soon.

This Saturday.

Yes, this Saturday. I'll be in Elma sometime between 9am and 10am. No hurry since it's a pretty short hike. If anyone is interested, best chime in soon.

Dang, I was kinda watchin' this one to see if anyone else wanted to do it as a day hike. After reading the cache, page not sure I wanted to hike back by myself (since y'all are camping). Moot point now - I'm going to the WSGA Campout this weekend. Y'all have fun! Catch big fish!

This Saturday.

Double dang! I gotta work Sat. Maybe next time?!

Oooh ooooh oooh! and just as quickly... :laughing: Obligations on Sunday prevent me from joining.

Don't forget that this can be done as a dayhike as well.

Keeping it in mind bearing in mind I had another electrical event on the Jeep on Friday in the two hour traffic. I shoulda just stayed in Tacoma and had that beer with ya. Anyway, it's all going to depend upon my troubleshooting skills as to how much I can trust the Jeep now.

Edited by TotemLake

I am going to skip the annual Ironworkers picnic ( I have never made it anyway) next Saturday the 22nd to make this hike and campout.

There is one geocache at Klone Lake. It hasn't been found in 2 years. But for those wanting more there are a number of them on or near Forest Service Rd. 22 on the way up or back down.

The 22 road is under going construction to widen and pave it all the way to Lake Wynoochee but is open to the public by Friday night and weekends. It is 40+ miles from the Hwy 12 at Montesano, and takes about 60- 90 minutes.

Disregard the instructions on getting to the cache in the cache page link for Klone Lake. I know of an easier way to get there. The hill is still steep but my route only has about 400' elevation change up and down a few times till you reach a saddle and drop down to the lake.

Parking:

N47°29.020 W123°34.368

I got a road report on the road condition near the parking coordinates and the road is open and widened this summer, so it is much safer. Last year debris and slides forced you to hug the rocks and your tires were less than a foot from the edge of 600' drops.

My cache trip report:

"Total elevation change along the ridge top is +200 and then –200 from parking coordinates. But it is very steep and there are about 6 places where some ropes are placed to help keep your feet from sliding down hill. There are some ribbons placed to help find the lake because there is NO TRAIL. The problem is these have been placed by several people over the years and don’t all follow the same route.( I think a few are placed by hunters leading to a kill and not the lake). If I had tried this with my kids when they were younger before I got a computer)I would surely have taken a wrong turn and traveled down the wrong ridge.

From the ridge top it is a 650’ drop to the lake. It took 3 hrs, but that was with a snack break pic taking and getting various waypoints and such."

This is an easily done as a day hike. I have made several day hikes in.

a5f358e0-671e-4ade-8574-4d55f516be18.jpg

7185e0f9-e68f-4fae-8031-465c917d50a5.jpg

b449f3e3-45b0-48ef-9a3d-84e23431b47f.jpg

Edited by ironman114

This is still on for Saturday morning so chime in if you're interested.

It's a short day-hike with some great fishing (and possibly a trout lunch) or an easy overnighter. I can supply a two person tent if anyone needs one.

I'm interested in doing it as a day hike. Probably don't want to hike out alone, tho, so hoping another day-hiker might be interested.

What time and where to meet? Anyone want to carpool? (I'm near Bellevue.)

Seriously folks, this is a three hour hike. If anyone was looking for a good warm-up type trek, this is it. As a day hike, this one is hard to top. Ironman knows the way, it's short, and you get a free fish fry in the middle. If you've never done a HOM but were thinking about giving it a go, chime in. We'll take care of you! I have a water filter so all you need is a light day-pack, some lunch in case the fish aren't biting, and a canteen. If you have any questions or gear needs, let us know, I have lots of spares, extras, and doubles of most everything.

Don't waste the summer! When the rain comes you'll regret all the beautiful days you sat at home.

TL, rest that back. The Wonder Mountain and lake 3995 three-day-er is coming up.

Edited by Criminal

Seriously folks, this is a three hour hike. If anyone was looking for a good warm-up type trek, this is it. As a day hike, this one is hard to top. Ironman knows the way, it's short, and you get a free fish fry in the middle. If you've never done a HOM but were thinking about giving it a go, chime in. We'll take care of you! I have a water filter so all you need is a light day-pack, some lunch in case the fish aren't biting, and a canteen. If you have any questions or gear needs, let us know, I have lots of spares, extras, and doubles of most everything.

Don't waste the summer! When the rain comes you'll regret all the beautiful days you sat at home.

TL, rest that back. The Wonder Mountain and lake 3995 three-day-er is coming up.

Your killing me Crim. Sounds great but I just can't get over that far this weekend :mad: