Wet log...what to do?

Greetings Cachers,

I am at a loss what to do if I find a cache with a wet log. Obviously I should replace it if I have one on me but what do I do with the wet log? Do I contact the owner and find a way to send it back?

I'll put it inside a plastic baggie and leave it for the owner.

Some have suggested using the rear windshield heater to dry the log if you're near your car.

I prefer not to remove an existing log from a cache unless the owner asked me to do so.

I like your username.

I lived for Dr Who when I was a kid. The Dr with the scarf was my fave.

Anyway back to the question.

I just let the owner know.

If I have had time I've relaxed while drying it in the sun.

If I had paper on me I've placed in cache, otherwise owners can get to the cache pretty quickly to retrieve the log and replace.

Greetings Cachers,

I am at a loss what to do if I find a cache with a wet log. Obviously I should replace it if I have one on me but what do I do with the wet log? Do I contact the owner and find a way to send it back?

If we are near our geo-mobile we will dry out the wet log with the heater.

If we are not near our geo-mobile and the log is so wet that it rips & is unsignable... we will replace it with a dry log & a new baggie... then carefully scan the other log (after it dries up) uploading it the cache page for the owner to see. So far, no complaints from the CO's.

I came across one 3 days ago. The hide had been underwater after a heavy rain.

I placed a fresh new logbook in the cache, in a new sealed small ziplock bag. I also placed the soggy log in its original bag in the cache and noted it in the log entry. Subsequent cachers said the new log is still nice and dry :blink:

A couple months ago I had come across another one that had been underwater, and that time I didn't have a spare logbook. I put a slip of dry paper in the cache and sealed the wet logbook inside a new ziplock bag, dried out the inside of the cache, and noted it in the log entry. that one stayed dry too. The CO later replaced it.

If practical, I take a few minutes to lay the cache out in the sun or pat it with some paper towels. I will also leave a new log in a smal zip bag if I can. Either way, I log the fact that I found the log wet and hard to sign. Maybe the owner will find a better way to protect the cache.

It also depends on the container, and the log history of the cache. If the container is a semi decent one and the logs were wet because of someone not taking care of closing it I would do what I could to make it better, add a new log sheet etc and send a note to the CO. If I am able to, I will dry out the inside of the cache, and put the old log back in. On the other hand if the container itself is the reason that the log is wet, and the cache has a history of wet logs it may be time to send a friendly note to the CO, or the area reviewer. Mention to the CO that a better container, like replacing a film can with a bison, would keep the logs from getting wet. The ultimate is to log a SBA because of a bad container, but I would only do this if there was extensive log history of wet logs, numerous needs maintenance logs and the CO has not done anything for over a year to fix it.

I think having a moist, mildewy log is a prerequisite for all caches. :blink:

If it is unsignable post a NM log and leave an additional temp log in a plastic bag. This is why you should carry temp log pages.

I see no point in putting a wet log in a plastic baggie. Then it will just stay wet. :D

I'm not a fan of bags. If the cache can't keep the items inside dry then you need to find a better container.

Car heater, we've done it before, it works pretty quick.. But if the log is wet in the first place, it's probably just going to get wet again, If it's a normal sized cache you could "baggie" it, but anything smaller (I'm looking at you breath strip container cache hiders) you'll just have to dry it if you want, and hope for the best.

As Knight2000 said, a better container is in order.

My backpack contains a large size ziploc with two or three log books of just about every size one could want including that nifty zine emergency log book, some paper towels, golf pencils, and new ziploc baggies. It doesn't take up much space at all. Course I also carry recycled grocery bags for CITO'ng too.

If I know the CO personally I have been known to hand deliver the wet log books otherwise I leave a new log book, dry out the container as best I can and then send an email through GC to the owner letting them know what I've done. I also make mention of it in my on line log.

Never tried to dry out wet logs though, might have to give it a try!!

I think you're very considerate for asking this question. If I were a cache owner I'd want the original log book back somehow. When we've found wet or damp log books, we've put them back in the cache and let the CO know - but we haven't yet found one that was unsignable. I guess we'd either put the log book back if it wasn't clearly going to be destroyed by doing so, or take it with us if it was. If we took it, we'd try to mail it back to the CO if he/she/they wanted it.

I replace wet or full logs and email the owner offering to scan and email or snail mail it. I've probably done that 40+ times over the years and no owner has wanted their log back yet... still, it's good to offer.

Sunday we found a wet log in a bison tube that had lost it's rubber o-ring seal, thus a new log would just get wet again. We replaced the bison tube and the log. This particular cache was about five miles out a very rugged power line trail that required 4wd and making the owner make that trip made no sense, but I have done the same for urban P&Gs... we can be nice and help each other.

As mentioned before it saves the owner a maintenance trip and fixes the problem for those who follow.

Two of my caches have either been repaired when wet or replaced when missing and I truly appreciate them doing it!

Caveat on the "replaced when missing"... my contact info is on the cache listing and they called me to be sure it was missing before putting out a replacement.

A small (3" square) Lok-N-Lok container holds spare logs of all sizes, a couple of bison tubes, a film can, various sizes of ZipLoc bags and some trade items. It fits nicely in cargo pants pockets or a fanny pack and you are ready to hide or repair caches at any time.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Greetings Cachers,

When I find wet logs (not uncommon considering caching takes place outside) I drain off the water, sop off the excess in the log and sign using my handy waterproof pen that writes on wet logs. (Uniball Power Tank in my case but a couple other options exist out there).

If I remember the wet log by the time I log the cache I'll mention it in my find log.

Wet logs are all in a days caching.

I see no point in putting a wet log in a plastic baggie. Then it will just stay wet. :)

I do it so that the new log will have a better chance of staying dry.

If you put it into a baggie with another wet leg it will wick the moisture. Just carry addition baggies if you can. Or do what was suggested above if all else fails.

I see no point in putting a wet log in a plastic baggie. Then it will just stay wet. :)

I do it so that the new log will have a better chance of staying dry.

If you put it into a baggie with another wet leg it will wick the moisture. Just carry addition baggies if you can. Or do what was suggested above if all else fails.

Clarification : wet log in one baggie, dry log in another.

I only do that in situations where the container is airtight (or mostly airtight).

First thing I do is to find out if the container is the problem. Plastic shopping bags make decent makeshift gaskets on peanut butter jars and such. There's not much sence in adding a dry log if the container is just going to get wet again anyways. Check and clean the gaskets on lock n locks and ammo cans. One cacher mentioned bringing a toothbrush for this purpose. I think its a great idea. I've also added fresh log books to caches myself. Of course they are locked up in a ziplock for a little extra protection. I say take the log book out if its unsignable. Contact the owner and offer it back. Very few people would get mad about someone else maintaining there cache especially if they haven't logged on in a few months. The one container that I have a problem with is a 30cal by a set of waterfalls. The gasket is in good condition, the problem is condensation so baggies are a definate plus with this cache. I think its a great idea to have everything inside a baggy in your cache. The last cache I did maintance on I used one of the larger baggies to C.I.T.O. all the wet mushy stuff, (playing cards, flip flop shaped log book, a hair band that was made of cloth and spongy material underneath. It was all mushy and useless as trades. What suprises me is the amount of cachers that sees this mush and leaves it. Then once they get home they complain about it. Doesn't everyone own a garbage can at home? Dump the water, wipe it dry, bag some items, add a fresh log and a fresh stash note and its like new again. The last one I found was in a swampy area so I also propped up the top of the can a bit to help avoid water from leaking in just in case there was a bad spot on the gasket. It just seems like some people are afraid to do good so they leave the bad for the next cacher to ponder over. JMO. Swizzle

First thing I do is to find out if the container is the problem. Plastic shopping bags make decent makeshift gaskets on peanut butter jars and such.

Just to clarify: I assume you're talking about taking a flat section of a piece of a bag, laying it over the opening, then screwing the lid over the top, right? That's an awesome idea!

But please don't wrap a container in a loose plastic bag. The folds in the bag collect water, and can get quite gunky in a very short amount of time.

... What suprises me is the amount of cachers that sees this mush and leaves it. Then once they get home they complain about it. Doesn't everyone own a garbage can at home? Dump the water, wipe it dry, bag some items, add a fresh log and a fresh stash note and its like new again. The last one I found was in a swampy area so I also propped up the top of the can a bit to help avoid water from leaking in just in case there was a bad spot on the gasket. It just seems like some people are afraid to do good so they leave the bad for the next cacher to ponder over. JMO. Swizzle

What, and spend more than 2 minutes at a single cache??? Are you nuts? That would, like, take too much time and keep them from getting all 60 smileys for the day. :)

Yes, You pull the shopping bag tight over the opening, screw down the lid and with your swiss army scissors you cut it to size. I like to leave 2 inches all the way around so the next cacher doesn't struggle to get the bag back into place. You know you're right that extra 2 minutes I spend on 30+ caches a year. I could easily use that time to find another P&G through a TP garden with a wet log. Thanx for showing me the light. Swizzle :)

The urban caches I see have space issues as well as wetness probs. When I run across a wet log I will replace the wet in a fresh baggie and if the old will fit leave it in the container. This is noted in my online log.

However at this time I have 2 logs that were replaced in containers that had no space for the old log in a isolation bag. I make note of this as well and allow time for the owner to let me know how they want to handle the old log. I hate to see a year or more of log be lost to posterior...er posterity.

I have 2 caches out there and would in most cases like to get the old back but if an owner has other ideas tha's cool.

Jeff

The Chicagoan

The urban caches I see have space issues as well as wetness probs. When I run across a wet log I will replace the wet in a fresh baggie and if the old will fit leave it in the container. This is noted in my online log.

However at this time I have 2 logs that were replaced in containers that had no space for the old log in a isolation bag. I make note of this as well and allow time for the owner to let me know how they want to handle the old log. I hate to see a year or more of log be lost to posterior...er posterity.

I have 2 caches out there and would in most cases like to get the old back but if an owner has other ideas tha's cool.

Jeff

The Chicagoan

Greetings Cachers,

Do your best to dry it out. Once dry, sign it, put it in a baggie, and back in the cache.

Failing that, return it to the cache the way you found it, and include a new log (signed by you), sealed in a plastic bag.

You do carry fresh, spare logs in baggies, don't you? :anitongue::laughing:

I'm not a fan of bags. If the cache can't keep the items inside dry then you need to find a better container.

I hate fiddling with them, too. However, I understand the need in most cases. Even a mil spec watertight d-con container doesn't work if the finder doesn't snap the lid on properly -- have run across far too many of those. So the CYA approach to avoiding wet logs is to bag it, too. The best container will eventually be foiled by a too-casual finder.

As for what to do with logs ...

I've run across a couple that were nothing more than moldy paper pulp. I didn't even try to salvage those. Sometimes I'll toss a bagged one in to replace it.

If I can dry one, I'll take the few extra minutes to do so before returning it to the container. Had one hanging out on a piece of barbed wire fence while searching a combo cache/benchmark just recently. Left it to dry while I went off to find the associated benchmark.

If I can't dry one in the time available, and they can still be read at all, I'll replace them with a new log and email the owner asking if they would like to have the original returned. There's no point in leaving a wet log in place to go moldy and illegible.

Edited by ecanderson

Greetings Cachers,

I'll put it inside a plastic baggie and leave it for the owner.

Some have suggested using the rear windshield heater to dry the log if you're near your car.

I prefer not to remove an existing log from a cache unless the owner asked me to do so.

If I can find a way to dry it out, then I will do it. sometimes this will mean spending a bit longer on the Cache. The following times are for a single sheet Filmcan log.

Car heater, about 30-40 seconds

Warm air hand dryer, about 20 40 seconds

Hot/warm rock in sun, about 3-5 minutes

Brick wall in partial sun, about 10-15 minutes

warm wooden bench, about 20-30 minutes

Pocket while hiking(sandwitched between dry papar sheets), about 20-30 minutes

clipped to backpack or beltloop while walking(in the breeze), about 10-15 minutes

These are all for a dry day. One thing that may steer you away from the car air vent...if there is mildew on the paper, you'll be blowing it all over your car.

the most time I've spent was about 1 1/2 hours drying out a 50+ page journal.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

All I can do is mirror what most have already said. If the problem is the container, I am a lot less likely to plop in a new log, knowing it'll be wet in no time. For those, I sign the log using my Fisher pen and move on. If it seems like the log got wet through mishandling, (gasket contamination/cachers opening the container in the rain/etc), I'll sit down for a spell and do whatever I need to do to make it right for the next seeker. In either case, I mention my findings, and my response, in my log.