Thoughts about "Urban Caches"

I'm not too keen on urban hides. Some of them have been OK but many are in areas with sensitive flower beds and landscaping nearby that does sometimes show signs of having had a thorough search done there.

There was one that I had waited quite some time to do just because I liked the area but wasn't there real often. It was hidden on the side of the library in a small sized metal box (with a screw on lid) attached to the rear of the real electrical box with magnets. The hint indicated that the needed tool (a screwdriver) was nearby.

There was indeed a short screwdriver sitting on top of the electrical box. But unless you stepped onto the landscaping and looked behind the box, you wouldn't see the cache. I found it, but was sorely tempted to use the supplied screwdriver to open up a couple of the covers, thinking that they left the screwdriver there for that purpose. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to think this from looking at the area. I fought the urge to use the screwdriver right away and eventually located the cache behind the box and realized why the screwdriver was there, to get the lid off the cache.

The cache was archived about 3 months after I found it with a note on the cache page from the library personnel saying to ask permission next time before hiding a cache on their grounds. So not only did it have logistical issues, it apparently did not have permission, either.

I would have to agree that is a bad idea! *If* he was going to place a cache that needed a screwdriver to open, he first should have made sure there was nothing around besides his cache that could be unscrewed.

How was the screwdriver used to open the cache, by the way? Was the lid screwed on somehow?

Because he kinda looks like a movie star, I won't post the pic I have of Knowschad at an event in Minnesota a few years ago.

:D shhhhhhh!!! They all think I look like a dog that wears glasses!

Well yes, that is what I thought. Now I find out that you look like a movie star and are merely hiding behind the cute dog image. Which movie star do you look like?

Carolyn

I'm not too keen on urban hides. Some of them have been OK but many are in areas with sensitive flower beds and landscaping nearby that does sometimes show signs of having had a thorough search done there.

There was one that I had waited quite some time to do just because I liked the area but wasn't there real often. It was hidden on the side of the library in a small sized metal box (with a screw on lid) attached to the rear of the real electrical box with magnets. The hint indicated that the needed tool (a screwdriver) was nearby.

There was indeed a short screwdriver sitting on top of the electrical box. But unless you stepped onto the landscaping and looked behind the box, you wouldn't see the cache. I found it, but was sorely tempted to use the supplied screwdriver to open up a couple of the covers, thinking that they left the screwdriver there for that purpose. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to think this from looking at the area. I fought the urge to use the screwdriver right away and eventually located the cache behind the box and realized why the screwdriver was there, to get the lid off the cache.

The cache was archived about 3 months after I found it with a note on the cache page from the library personnel saying to ask permission next time before hiding a cache on their grounds. So not only did it have logistical issues, it apparently did not have permission, either.

I would have to agree that is a bad idea! *If* he was going to place a cache that needed a screwdriver to open, he first should have made sure there was nothing around besides his cache that could be unscrewed.

How was the screwdriver used to open the cache, by the way? Was the lid screwed on somehow?

Yes, I agree. It would be interesting to know how many finders logged their concern? So far from my experience 95% think this sort of thing is "cool" "great" "wonderful" "nice" "clever" "tricky" "well done". It only serves to encourage more of these kinds of plants.

Other than #9 that list isn't all that unusual, and I have questions about #9.
Based on my two months of geocaching experience, it is my opinion that electrical hides aren't all that unusual either.

The question was not whether there are a lot of better, more unusual hides but simply whether there were many alternatives.

I fixed this for you Evan
I wasn't going to post in this thread because it seems pointless to have the same discussions over and over. However, I could not resist pointing out the fact that you guys are on the same side of this issue. I don't know why you are bothering to argue with one another.
You certainly have a way of making a thread more valuable to the reader.

My point was a) Knowschad was talking about caches that require tools to open :D Evan thought he was talking about electric boxes in general c) Evan is claiming that these hides are very common based on very limited experience.

Not sure how you can put us on the same page.

Perhaps it is becasue, to the casual reader, you are all arguing that 'Those caches that I don't like are the debbil'.
Congrats. Two posts and you are back on ignore. I hope you enjoyed our time together as much as I did.
I only have Lep on ignore, so perhaps I don't understand. If you put someone on ignore, why would you take them off?

That's just one more behavior that I don't understand, like when a cacher insists that the only caches that should be allowed are those that he/she enjoys.

Edited by sbell111

Yes, I agree. It would be interesting to know how many finders logged their concern? So far from my experience 95% think this sort of thing is "cool" "great" "wonderful" "nice" "clever" "tricky" "well done". It only serves to encourage more of these kinds of plants.

I hear what you are saying and the answer to this is not an easy one. All I can think of is education in teachable moments and leading by example. Collecting photographic evidence of the damage being done and distributing it to not only the cache owner but to everyone who put a "cool hide" log might net some results. It would no doubt ruffle a lot of feathers too.

For example, I recently had a cache owner go pretty ballistic on me for pointing out the damage that was occurring in the area of their cache. I supplied photos and was instantly dubbed a geo-cop. It turned out to be a sock puppet of a pretty experienced local geocacher and someone who I would have thought would have appreciated the effort I made. Instead they elected to rail on me behind the disguise of the sock puppet. It was pretty disappointing when I found out who it really was.

If you are going to actively seek out people, you need to prepare for responses like this one:

Wow! What a way to start my 4th of July holiday, with a patronizing scolding from the local geocache police!

I have added a hint so that you, and all the other frustrated destructive cachers, can find the cache without arousing the noisy neighbor or poisoning yourselves.

BTW, there ARE parking coordinates listed on the cache page, which put you at the proper elevation to find the cache.

Good luck! Oh, and here's the number for Poison Control, just in case you need it: 941-4411

Happy caching!

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Hey KnowsChad,

Your "Doesn't sound like much variety going on there, aside from "and a host of others too numerous to mention." I'd love to hear them mentioned." statement seems a bit harsh. With only about 160 finds to my name, I don't begin to have the experience you have. Most of my finds have been of the urban variety, and even with my limited experience I have seen a fair number of urban caches that have had some variety. I did not check your personal experience with caches other than to see that you have a whole lot of them. I find it hard to believe that with your experience you have not seen some clever and fun urban caches.

Because he kinda looks like a movie star, I won't post the pic I have of Knowschad at an event in Minnesota a few years ago. It is too bad because it would be one of those pictures that is worth a 1000 words. It is of several cachers standing around him, while he explains one of his hiding techniques. I've seen his work and it is very good.

Long story short: The guy is a master hider and a very creative mind. He also has a geo-conscious that I wish was contagious.

So you are accusing him of being disingenuous when he implies he doesn't know of numerous alternatives to electrical hides?

No, but I don't think it is too much of a stretch to accuse you of trying to start trouble :lol:

I was speaking to his experience, integrity, and skill as a hider because I know he would never do it himself. Because we have discussed urban hides at length together, I know that he has not only seen some pretty cleaver urban hides, he's put out quite a few himself. Maybe it might be helpful to reread his post. He was saying that he has never seen an electrical box that needed a screwdriver to open it. Not that electrical boxes are unusual or that they lack alternatives.

Ok, I went back and reread and it still reads the same.

People were talking about electrical box hides in general (possibly) being irresponsible because they could encourage unsafe behavior.

To which Knowchad responds:

Let me pose this question to all of you that think that these caches are inappropriate: what sort of urban caches are appropriate?

So someone posts a few examples of what they consider more appropriate hides.

As far as good urban cache examples: there is always the standard LPC skirt cache, the LPC variation where a short piece of PVC with a cap is stuck in the ground a few inches alongside the LPC concrete base and contains the log, various magnetic containers which can be hid many safe places, and a host of others too numerous to mention. I still think the key is to have owners use the listing to describe what is off base or off limits and encourage finders to read the listings.

To that post he responds:

Doesn't sound like much variety going on there, aside from "and a host of others too numerous to mention." I'd love to hear them mentioned.

None of that is about screwdriver caches but is about electrical caches in general.

It sure sounds like he is saying there is a lack of alternatives. What other possible reason would there be to repeatedly ask people to provide alternatives?

My whole point was the he is saying he needs people to offer some alternatives, you say he is a great hider.

That's where things don't quite jibe and makes it seem like you are saying that his asking for others to provide alternatives disingenuous . You again say he has discussed urban hides and has some clever ones. If that is the case, why in the world is he repeatedly asking others to provide examples of alternatives? It just doesn't make sense.

And the whole "unusual" thing wasn't anything to do with Knowshad but someone else saying to someone's list of alternatives to electrical hides that only one on the list was unusual and is an entirely different discussion.

Based on my two months of geocaching experience, it is my opinion that electrical hides aren't all that unusual either.

The question was not whether there are a lot of better, more unusual hides but simply whether there were many alternatives.

6 electrical hides in an essentially random 250 find sample is not an opinion but a fact.

So really to fix it, it should be: 'In the Twin Cities area, electrical hides are not all that unusual' since I can only speak of this area.

6 electrical hides in an essentially random 250 find sample is not an opinion but a fact.

So really to fix it, it should be: 'In the Twin Cities area, electrical hides are not all that unusual' since I can only speak of this area.

Evan.. post 21

Evan.. post 21

Reread the thread.

My response about 'unusual' was not about screwdriver hides but to someone ELSE (not me, not Knowchad) saying the offered alternatives to electrical hides are not unusual.

The linked post is irrelevant.

Reread the thread.

My response about 'unusual' was not about screwdriver hides but to someone ELSE (not me, not Knowchad) saying the offered alternatives to electrical hides are not unusual.

Evan, before this continues, did you see:

knowshad... Post #45

I was also playing devil's advocate with someone who suggested, first and formost, LPCs as an alternative to electrical box-type hides. I agree that we now have enough of that type hide around here that it isn't much more of a surprise to a moderately experienced cacher than an LPC, but they can still be a fun challenge for a beginner.

I have to add that I have never heard of anyone getting electrocuted while tryinig to find a geocache. Has anyone else?

Edited by knowschad

Evan.. post 21

Reread the thread.

Actually, the whole thing has become sort of irrelevant. Bottom line is this. These caches need to be placed with a little forethought due to the ramifications if they are placed in areas with a lot of options. That is really the best you can hope for. Like LPCs, nanos, key holders, and other "common" hides they are here to stay as Groundspeak has not shown the willingness to make the guidelines that specific.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Reread the thread.

Evan, before this continues, did you see:

knowshad...http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4012764] Post #45[/url]

I was also playing devil's advocate with someone who suggested, first and formost, LPCs as an alternative to electrical box-type hides. I agree that we now have enough of that type hide around here that it isn't much more of a surprise to a moderately experienced cacher than an LPC, but they can still be a fun challenge for a beginner.

I have to add that I have never heard of anyone getting electrocuted while tryinig to find a geocache. Has anyone else?

Ugh, yeah, that is not much of an alternative. I am at a point where I skip most of those unless I am going to be in the parking lot anyway (Although there is one that I passed over multiple times in Richfield's Hub strip mall that I eventually looked for that turned out to be the LPC I've liked the best because of the unusual container).

As for whether has anyone has been electrocuted yet, how you would feel if one of yours was the first? While the chances may be pretty darn slim, no one can say there is no chance at all. I wouldn't want to be the one that was responsible for the million to one shot that the roll of the dice came up bad for.

But I am not for banning either. I just don't think its such a good idea just as I don't think hiding in an area where people have illegal dumped concrete chunks (I have run across three of those so far) is such a bright idea. I wouldn't ask for a ban but it does kind of make me roll my eyes at the hider.

Edited by EvanMinn

I have been doing this for a while now, and I have never, ever seen a cache that needed to be opened with a screwdriver, electric box or otherwise. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I'd sure love to see proof of their existance.

As far as good urban cache examples: there is always the standard LPC skirt cache, the LPC variation where a short piece of PVC with a cap is stuck in the ground a few inches alongside the LPC concrete base and contains the log, various magnetic containers which can be hid many safe places, and a host of others too numerous to mention. I still think the key is to have owners use the listing to describe what is off base or off limits and encourage finders to read the listings.

Doesn't sound like much variety going on there, aside from "and a host of others too numerous to mention." I'd love to hear them mentioned.

First, I would like to say that I take exception to these sorts of caches being labelled "Urban Caches". As far as I'm concerned, they are "Suburban" caches. I've found almost 300 caches in New York City (and that's as urban as it gets!) I can recall one being attached to an unused electrical box, and one an imitation electrical box. Of course, New York has some great parks! And New York has some of the most creative cache hiders! Caches around boulders, in fir trees (or were they yews?), under rocks, in fences around parks, in stop signs, in abandoned piers, in hollow trees, (The one under the mailbox got archived...), in gazebos, there's one in an old pier support that requires a kayak.

Yes, most are micros (though very few nanos), but there are a fair number of small caches as well.

Where I find lamp post caches, and electric box caches are out here in Jersey. And that's suburbia!

My 'urban' caches, in Hudson County, New Jersey, are mostly hidden in feNces in parks. But I have more 'small' and 'regular' caches hidden in northwest Jersey.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

My 'urban' caches, in Hudson County, New Jersey, are mostly hidden in feces in parks.

hmm... that's that I guess... I'll just be filtering out any HD caches in Hudson County NJ next time I make it out that way :lol:

Edit: sorry Harry... it was just too good of a typo to pass up.... had a good belly laugh out of it :D

Edited by mrbort

Ugh, yeah, that is not much of an alternative. I am at a point where I skip most of those unless I am going to be in the parking lot anyway (Although there is one that I passed over multiple times in Richfield's Hub strip mall that I eventually looked for that turned out to be the LPC I've liked the best because of the unusual container).

Rats! You've already found that LPC, huh? I was gonna suggest it to you! :lol:

As for whether has anyone has been electrocuted yet, how you would feel if one of yours was the first? While the chances may be pretty darn slim, no one can say there is no chance at all. I wouldn't want to be the one that was responsible for the million to one shot that the roll of the dice came up bad for.

As of today, there are 859,904 active caches worldwide. I'd consider it an act of God. (not that I have any LPC's... well, maybe one...)

But I am not for banning either. I just don't think its such a good idea just as I don't think hiding in an area where people have illegal dumped concrete chunks (I have run across three of those so far) is such a bright idea. I wouldn't ask for a ban but it does kind of make me roll my eyes at the hider.

You weren't caching when Posen hid one like that. It was a lot of fun. But why is it not a good idea to hide a cache there? Might not be pretty, but why would it be a bad idea? I don't get it.

Edited by knowschad

My 'urban' caches, in Hudson County, New Jersey, are mostly hidden in feces in parks.

hmm... that's that I guess... I'll just be filtering out any HD caches in Hudson County NJ next time I make it out that way :lol:

Edit: sorry Harry... it was just too good of a typo to pass up.... had a good belly laugh out of it :D

Oh, my!!! Too funny. :):D

I'm sooooo glad that you managed to catch that before the edit!!

I wasn't going to post in this thread because it seems pointless to have the same discussions over and over. However, I could not resist pointing out the fact that you guys are on the same side of this issue. I don't know why you are bothering to argue with one another.
You certainly have a way of making a thread more valuable to the reader.

My point was a) Knowschad was talking about caches that require tools to open :D Evan thought he was talking about electric boxes in general c) Evan is claiming that these hides are very common based on very limited experience.

Not sure how you can put us on the same page.

Perhaps it is becasue, to the casual reader, you are all arguing that 'Those caches that I don't like are the debbil'.
Congrats. Two posts and you are back on ignore. I hope you enjoyed our time together as much as I did.
I only have Lep on ignore, so perhaps I don't understand. If you put someone on ignore, why would you take them off?

That's just one more behavior that I don't understand, like when a cacher insists that the only caches that should be allowed are those that he/she enjoys.

LOL! I was thinkin' the same thing. I only have one person on ignore. I would never take that person off even though they haven't posted in years last time I bothered to check. I only put THAT person on ignore because he threatened to KILL me in an open forum earning himself a hefty bannination.

I wonder why he even bothered to point it out to you :) and I just betcha he peeked at your post. :D:lol:

Oh, BTW this is going on my clipboard of saved forum wisdom. THANX :D

Perhaps it is because, to the casual reader, you are all arguing that 'Those caches that I don't like are the debbil'

In London UK there have been a couple of security alerts as a result of furtive skulking around cache hides so generally, cachers seem to be getting a bit more thoughtful about where they hide. Although I'm not a great lover of nanos/micros in towns (parks etc excepted), I decide what to do when I get to the site. If there are lots of CCTVs (we are the most watched people in the world here in UK), utility boxes etc, drug apparatus, rat bait traps or people I don't bother otherwise I root about for as long as I feel comfortable; I make the call. I've only been stopped once by officials but walked away from plenty of other sites as I wasn't happy. For me caching is about great locations and ingenious hides rather than the numbers. For others it's different. There is room for us all so long as we think about the implications of what we do

Wow! This thread went by leaps and bounds since yesterday.

The cache container was some kind of metal box with a rubber gasket around one side of the box which acted as the lid. It looked like some kind of piece of old military hardware as there was a mil-spec multi-pin electrical connector on the end of the box. The original contents had been removed, leaving it empty inside. There were 4 screws on the lid, one on each corner. It was nice and waterproof, though. :lol:

And yes, I totally agree that if someone is going to hide a container in an area that requires a screwdriver to get the lid off that there should not be any other utility boxes nearby with screw on covers. It just invites someone to use that screwdriver to no good use.

I don't think there were any complaints on the cache page. A case of don't ask, don't tell, I would guess.

Because he kinda looks like a movie star, I won't post the pic I have of Knowschad at an event in Minnesota a few years ago.

:lol: shhhhhhh!!! They all think I look like a dog that wears glasses!

Oh, I get it, this is like the Clark Kent, Lois Lane thing huh... When he takes off the glasses to become superman, Lois doesn't recognize Clark any more.

So the disguise is the glasses... Do you wear red and blue tights too? (hopefully not a pink tu-tu)

Sorry, couldn't resist. The little voice inside my head is broken... er... missing again.

So the disguise is the glasses... Do you wear red and blue tights too? (hopefully not a pink tu-tu)

Hahahah! OK, who told you?

Actually, there is, or at least was a cacher somewhere in Europe (Denmark, perhaps) that cached in a super-hero type of costume. I wonder if any of the old-timers here remember who he was.

Actually, there is, or at least was a cacher somewhere in Europe (Denmark, perhaps) that cached in a super-hero type of costume. I wonder if any of the old-timers here remember who he was.

I remember him. He went by one name and then changed it and I can't remember either one.

I remember him. He went by one name and then changed it and I can't remember either one.

I remember him too. The pictures were awesome.

I remember him too. The pictures were awesome.

Anders aka apersson850

24148_200.jpg

I'd link to his prifle, but apparently GC.com isn't feeling so good right now.

Edited by sbell111

Anders aka apersson850

24148_200.jpg

Ahhh, yes! That's the one. How did you find it? I tried every combination of search terms that I could think of!

I did it the hard way.

I pulled up a bunch of really popular old threads, then clicked on the post count to bring up the list of people to post to them. I then scanned the list to find a name that jogged my memory. I happened across AndersA, which reminded me of his original nom. I then did a search on 'Anders' and it led me to his current nick.

Anders aka apersson850

24148_200.jpg

Ahhh, yes! That's the one. How did you find it? I tried every combination of search terms that I could think of!

I did it the hard way.

I pulled up a bunch of really popular old threads, then clicked on the post count to bring up the list of people to post to them. I then scanned the list to find a name that jogged my memory. I happened across AndersA, which reminded me of his original nom. I then did a search on 'Anders' and it led me to his current nick.

Okay, now who was it that often went cachin' dressed as Batman?

Anders aka apersson850

24148_200.jpg

I did it the hard way.

I believe that was Lep.

Anders aka apersson850

24148_200.jpg

I did it the hard way.

Wasn't he Canadian? From Ottawa?

Anders aka apersson850

24148_200.jpg

I did it the hard way.

No, Lep's from PA.

My biggest problem with urban caches is do people really get permission to hide them. The property that the cache is on my be accessed by the public but it is still private and permission is still needed.

Essentially ALL property is owned by someone. The thin line this game is based on is called 'adequate permission' where places the public has a right to be permission is usually assumed to be tacit rather than explicit.

It's a thin line because you have a right to stand on an urban corner, it's assumed okay to place a keyholder on the back of a No Parking sign on that corner, but a cache on the newspaper stand on that corner needs permission, and one on the mail drop box is prohibited.

Adequate is often a judgment call.

Anders aka apersson850

24148_200.jpg

I did it the hard way.

Found him. Zartimus: http://www.todayscacher.com/2004/oct/people2.asp

mountain_bat.jpg