Geocaching at night

Went on the hunt last night about 9:30pm. My pal said "after Buffalo Wild Wings, can we swing by a few cache locations on the way home". I said... sure :D Didn't mention that one of them was a micro!!!!!! Spent 15 minutes searching, in the dark, on a 3-story tall rocket ship play-thing at a park, then called it quits. We then went in search of a small cache, which we were lucky to find, happened to flip over a "rock" and there it was.

Anyway, lookin' for thoughts or stories on night searches. Anyone use flashlights? If so, how many cops were called when you were searching around a park? LOL.

The small cache we found was a few feet off a bike path by a lake, and people were walking by and a few saw us hiding in the bushes, probably gave them a heart attack, thought maybe we were :blink: or something... gonna mug them, LOL.

Edited by GreenLantern5000

I don't cache at night. Most parks have posted times when they are open. I'm not a fan of dealing with the police, and acting strangely in a park that is closed or in an empty parking lot is sure to cause suspicion and drawn their ire.

Two caches I searched at night brought me pleasurable memories. The first was a night trail cache with reflected markers (GC1MF89). Three of us did it (two geocachers and a muggle) late at night and under a full moon. There was a great emotion of camaraderie and companionship.

The other time was at dusk on my own going for a FTF. The cache itself was disappointing to be honest, but the countryside was so much different. I could here more and smell more than in the day and there was a great feeling of tranquillity and peace. As all the nocturnal animals came out they were surprised to see a human walking around.

Went on the hunt last night about 9:30pm. My pal said "after Buffalo Wild Wings, can we swing by a few cache locations on the way home". I said... sure :D Didn't mention that one of them was a micro!!!!!! Spent 15 minutes searching, in the dark, on a 3-story tall rocket ship play-thing at a park, then called it quits. We then went in search of a small cache, which we were lucky to find, happened to flip over a "rock" and there it was.

Anyway, lookin' for thoughts or stories on night searches. Anyone use flashlights? If so, how many cops were called when you were searching around a park? LOL.

The small cache we found was a few feet off a bike path by a lake, and people were walking by and a few saw us hiding in the bushes, probably gave them a heart attack, thought maybe we were :blink: or something... gonna mug them, LOL.

Hah! I thought it sounded like you were in "Posenville" and a quick look at your finds shows I was thinking of the right rocketship. That is the worlds coolest jungle-gym, isn't it?

Anyway, night caching isn't my cup of tea. For me, the fun goes down when the sun goes down. When I used to trout fish, it was the same thing, although by far the biggest trout are usually caught at night. But once my cones kick out and rods kick in, much of what I enjoy about being out is gone.

On the other hand, I know others that actually prefer it. They say that its like being a kid again.

I like night caching. I always thought it was much harder. I mentioned that to a couple other cachers and they said that it wasn't. Then I figured out why. I have a wiener flash light! When you can't see it does make it tough.

I have been approached by the fuzz while caching at night.

I like caching at night, especially the after midnight to dawn timeline, I have about 8-900 finds in the dark. No one is out, no one to bug you... although, you have to rely on stealth much more I find.

Local LEO are not a problem, even in a park if you handle it right. most graveyard cops are cool, out here anyway. I avoid ones right next to houses unless the park is well lit.

I will not cache down a trail more than 20 or so feet or go near one that looks like I could get hurt, like under some bridges. Being by myself, there is no safety net. Plus you have to be careful of the nocturnal critters. Been chased by more than a few skunks.

Caching at night can be more challenging. When I first started, I had only DNF's. I eventually got better and better at it and it's a good thing. I also like the "coolness" of the night as compared to the blazing Texas heat.

We've been stopped by 6 LEO's since starting a little over a year ago but only one was awfully suspicious of us. I had my son (13) and another 17 y.o. with me so it helped. Most of them I end up talking to them about cahing and they take an interst in it.

I love caching at night. One memorable find was a midnight walk up Russian Hill in San Fransisco to locate a micro. I'll never forget the deserted streets and the view of Alcatraz island and its flashing lighthouse. Same road trip, stopped in a little town called Willits, CA, a couple of nights before. Went on a quest for a cache called Aliens Landed Here. We were hunting for the cache with flashlights in woods so spooky, I thought the Blair Witch was going to pop out and eat us for a midnight snack. We couldn't find the cache and my friend got too spooked to keep looking. Some other ones in Portland are great for night hunting. Never been bothered by anyone at night.

About half of my cache finds have been at night. Nothing wrong with it at all and sometimes its easier.

Just make sure you are 100% legal because you WILL get approached by LEOs. Also, if you don't like creepy crawlers, remember they do most of their work in the middle of the night.

Still laughing about my friend stripping to his skivvies in the middle of the night because of a huge spider that went down his shirt and into his pants.

I prefer caching at night, especially in the summer.

Get a good headlamp and go have fun!

It's more fun if you use a full black leotard with fluorescent glow-in-the-dark fabric paint so you look like an extra terrestrial, or humanoid anomaly.

And then get one of those headlights with a light on each side.

Don't do this where rednecks reside. You could end up with a butt full of buckshot.

"Hey, Ma. Lookit what AY found down yonder...."

Don't do this where rednecks reside. You could end up with a butt full of buckshot.

Or squealing like a pig!

-------------

I live in the hood, so night caching is pretty much out of the question, the foothills are full of Coyotes, Bobcats, and Mountain Lions, and I don't want to see them in the day time, let alone the night.

Night caching sounds like fun, but it really depends on where you are caching.

I'm going caching tonight. Kids have been sick for ages and I'm going insane. So as soon as hubby gets home to take over I'm outa here.

Want to test out some co-ords for a mystery/puzzle cache.

Lots of fun, except for coming eyeball to eyeball with spiders. Thats always a little freaky.

I have a little time before hubby gets home so i might whip up the kind of leotard that bittsen mentioned with some sparkle....

I don't cache at night. Most parks have posted times when they are open. I'm not a fan of dealing with the police, and acting strangely in a park that is closed or in an empty parking lot is sure to cause suspicion and drawn their ire.

Agreed. I wouldn't cache where I wasn't allowed after hours.... The rocket park was open til 10pm, and the other cache was on a public walking path around a lake w/ lights, no closing time. :)

I like night caching. I always thought it was much harder. I mentioned that to a couple other cachers and they said that it wasn't. Then I figured out why. I have a wiener flash light! When you can't see it does make it tough.

I have been approached by the fuzz while caching at night.

Do you "wear your sunglasses at night" while night caching?..... :)

You definitely need a good flashlight, preferably with a headlamp as well.

Night caching can be fun in the right areas, especially in groups. Most of my night caching is done when I'm traveling for work. I'd rather explore a bit than sit in a hotel room watching TV. But I also try to make sure I'm in a semi-safe area first.

Some caches are specifically designed so you can only hunt them at night. You have to follow a trail of "fire tacks" (or similar), which are little reflective buttons that glow when you shine a light on them.

You definitely need a good flashlight, preferably with a headlamp as well.

Night caching can be fun in the right areas, especially in groups. Most of my night caching is done when I'm traveling for work. I'd rather explore a bit than sit in a hotel room watching TV. But I also try to make sure I'm in a semi-safe area first.

Some caches are specifically designed so you can only hunt them at night. You have to follow a trail of "fire tacks" (or similar), which are little reflective buttons that glow when you shine a light on them.

Ooooh, good call! I'll be on a business trip tomorrow and Thursday, I should see if there are any caches I can find after my meetings!!!!!! Thanks for the idea!

:D I don't go out at night all that often but I placed my favorite cache at night during a lunar eclipse. I walked up the mountain by the full moon light, placed the cache, sat on the monument and watched the eclipse. It was a realy cool experiance. Most people do the cache during the day but a few have gone at night.

Total eclipse of the Moon

Edited by jbar

I go geocaching at night, so I can, so I can

find your cache and sign on the log lines

And I find geocaches at night, so I can, so I can

Trade trackables with night eyes

While we’re seeking it, watch for security

Caching’s got control of me, I seek for fun I say

Don’t switch the light on ‘till you’re in shadows, oh no

Don’t mess around with the headlamp, oh no, I can’t believe it

Cause you got made by the LEO with shades, oh no

And I go geocaching at night so I can, so I can

Find your caches while you collect some zees

Use moonlight to find boxes with TBs

Caching’s got control of me, not for numbers I say

Don’t look now there’s a guy in shades, oh no, you can’t escape him

I said, "I find geocaches at night, I bulk up my numbers at night

I run through dark woods at night"

I say to you now, "go find a geocache at night

go find a geocache at night, go find a geocache at night "

I cry to you, ? I go geocaching at night

Can you go geocaching tonight?

I love night caching too :D but I don't have a way to get a list of night caches out of the Geocaching.com database... Does anyone have a list of night caches in the San Francisco Bay Area?

I have found all of the ones in my local area using high powered spot lights. Looking for the reflectors makes it especially challenging since each one can be like finding a cache.

I love night caching too :D but I don't have a way to get a list of night caches out of the Geocaching.com database... Does anyone have a list of night caches in the San Francisco Bay Area?

I have found all of the ones in my local area using high powered spot lights. Looking for the reflectors makes it especially challenging since each one can be like finding a cache.

Most caches are night caches, as far as i am concerned. Over half of my finds have been done at night.

Seattle area has some night caches.

There are a few that use reflector dots to find your way. You have to look for these caches at night. At least one of them is in the woods. You go to ground zero and take your flashlight to find the refector dots and follow them. When you get to two of them you are at ground zero.

Another place to cache at night in Seattle is a wall that has a light show on it at night. Its supposed to be beautiful. I haven't seen it.

I prefer to cache in the day because it's safer. I've got my eye on these night caches for some day though. Maybe I'll make a bookmark list of them.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...61-129569672880

that's "Puyallup's Things That Go Bump in the Night " GC110VZ

I recently found my first night cache. It was a nano hidden in the countryside by a cacher that is known for making common types of caches hard to find. I drove down the two-track, got out of the car and found GZ. Fifteen minutes of searching with a flashlight and I made the find. It almost felt that searching by the flashlight beam made it easier.

Last night at an event they wanted us to go night caching at midnight, where there were a lot of really beefy black widows,garden spiders, and brown recluses. After looking for a cache for twenty minutes, where there were tons of spiders, we called it quits. street caching at night is better because there is not as many muggles. I say if its not a night only cache, then its just a plain hassle.

We have a reputation as midnight cachers.

We have some SERIOUS competition for FTF's but they are retired. They go to bed early, they get up early. Most of our FTF’s are midnight caches and they are the best! There is nothing else like it.

Our midnight caching started to get FTF’s but we go out at night for other caches just for fun. Hikes in the woods, side of the highway in the middle of nowhere or in town, it’s just plane fun.

Yes, we have talked to police or security, but a fifty year old couple doesn’t look suspicious and we’ve never gotten in any trouble.

I recommend midnight caching to everyone.

I have tried caching at night, but I have never been able to find one at night. I have always gone back during the day and found it so easy. I have used a flashlight too.

I will probably go at night again, sometimes you just get the urg to go find caches.

:P

Glad I found this thread, it answers some of my newbie questions.

I love night and I love flashlights even more. I've found it rather annoying that most caches aren't listed as daytime only, nighttime only, anytime etc. And it seems there is no obvious way of searching for nighttime safe caches. :D

If there's anyone in the Portland OR area (gorge, mount hood, national forest areas are all fine) with some decent night cache suggestions let me know. Personally I'm looking for a decent wilderness hikes (a few miles isn't a problem) as opposed to city parks and downtown visits.

Thanks

:D

Glad I found this thread, it answers some of my newbie questions.

I love night and I love flashlights even more. I've found it rather annoying that most caches aren't listed as daytime only, nighttime only, anytime etc. And it seems there is no obvious way of searching for nighttime safe caches. :rolleyes:

If there's anyone in the Portland OR area (gorge, mount hood, national forest areas are all fine) with some decent night cache suggestions let me know. Personally I'm looking for a decent wilderness hikes (a few miles isn't a problem) as opposed to city parks and downtown visits.

Thanks

From Portland, I can say that I found a lot of fun going up Hwy 14 at night. Since I don't like walking into spiders in their webs, I didn't do much hiking through the woods to get a cache at night but there were quite a few along the route that you could have.

I can tell you of at least one cache that would be available at night and an easy enough hike at night to get. It's on the hwy to Mt Hood. It's GCQYX8 and also on the same trail is GCK1G5.

If you go there, don't try to do GCXMJR. I'm sure its missing and the mountain goat trail to get to it would be deadly if you tried it at night.

A cacher here in CT frequently adds fire tacks (reflectors) near the cache and sometimes 10 feet or so before the cache on the trail to help guide you to them in case you want to do them at night.

I consider night caching to be different from doing a night cache that's specifically setup with reflectors and designed to be found only at night.

I like both. Some of my best caching memories were at night with friends during a large event.

We have some caches in the Memphis area that are specifically designed as night caches utilizing firetacks -- the posted coords take you to the start of the trail, and then you go from there. What you have to learn is the balance between watching the tacks and watching the ground. Watch the ground too much, and you lose the tacks. Watch the tacks too much, and, well, you get the idea -- we had one cacher go mid-thigh deep in a wet hole one night. These caches would be nigh-on-impossible in the day. Some of them also add in various twists and turns during the hunt -- the hiders who have put them together are very creative -- 2 of them are in a local park in Germantown, TN and 2 more on on a section of greenbelt in Collierville. There is also one up in Bartlett, TN that I have yet to do called "Nighttime Squirrel Hunt" -- here's the thing with that one -- previous finders will go out with new seekers just to follow them through the woods -- to me, that means it's a pretty good hide.

Went on the hunt last night about 9:30pm. My pal said "after Buffalo Wild Wings, can we swing by a few cache locations on the way home". I said... sure ;) Didn't mention that one of them was a micro!!!!!! Spent 15 minutes searching, in the dark, on a 3-story tall rocket ship play-thing at a park, then called it quits. We then went in search of a small cache, which we were lucky to find, happened to flip over a "rock" and there it was.

The small cache we found was a few feet off a bike path by a lake, and people were walking by and a few saw us hiding in the bushes, probably gave them a heart attack, thought maybe we were :laughing: or something... gonna mug them, LOL.

Love night time caching, do about 75% of my caching in the dark hours, less muggles, closer parking, less traffic on the roads. Coming from the micro capital of our state makes any micros a breeze.

You get use to hunting at nigth and focus better on the GZ.

Went on the hunt last night about 9:30pm. My pal said "after Buffalo Wild Wings, can we swing by a few cache locations on the way home". I said... sure ;) Didn't mention that one of them was a micro!!!!!! Spent 15 minutes searching, in the dark, on a 3-story tall rocket ship play-thing at a park, then called it quits. We then went in search of a small cache, which we were lucky to find, happened to flip over a "rock" and there it was.

The small cache we found was a few feet off a bike path by a lake, and people were walking by and a few saw us hiding in the bushes, probably gave them a heart attack, thought maybe we were :laughing: or something... gonna mug them, LOL.

No Green Latern? :anicute:

TGC

I love caching at night! Hardly any muggles about. I have had several encounters with the cops but I am honest with them and explain I am caching and they just tell me, "Ok, have fun and be safe." However, I have some personal rules I keep to.

I NEVER go into a park. One, parks in Cali are normally closed at night. I do not want to ruin our game by breaking the rules so I don't go in them at night if its posted it is closed. Two, if they are open I don't go in them alone.

If alone, I keep to well lit areas and caches that I can grab within a few feet.

I NEVER go onto a path.

If I do go alone, I tell someone (normally my husband) where I will be caching. I also take my dogs some times.

I take my pepper spray with me.

Basically I use common sense when it comes to my safety. I am also mindful to the laws of our parks and our game. I do not want to be the one to ruin it for others in our geocaching community. Have I found some in parks at night?...yes. Those were parks that I was with someone and I did not see any rules posted.

If you are in Cali there are two Bay Area night caches that are fun. There is also one in the Central Valley that is a total BLAST!

GCG8QV

GC1N4ZQ

I just checked and the other one in the Bay Area has been archived. That was my favorite until Nocturnal Immersion. That is the BEST night cache ever! I do not know if there are any others but those two are a lot of fun.

I do not usually go out 'night caching'.

In general, the times I have been out caching at night have been both pleasant and successful...and in fact I can't think of any night-time hunts I would consider truly unpleasant. There has been a time or two when I/we really shouldn't have been where we were after dark, but it all worked out and there was a cool story to tell.

I go geocaching at night, so I can, so I can

find your cache and sign on the log lines

And I find geocaches at night, so I can, so I can

Trade trackables with night eyes

Caching’s got control of me, I seek for fun I say

Find your caches while you collect some zees

Use moonlight to find boxes with TBs

Caching’s got control of me, not for numbers I say

Don’t look now there’s a guy in shades, oh no, you can’t escape him

I said, "I find geocaches at night, I bulk up my numbers at night

I run through dark woods at night"

I say to you now, "go find a geocache at night

go find a geocache at night, go find a geocache at night "

I cry to you, ? I go geocaching at night

Can you go geocaching tonight?

LOL! that's amusing. What's more amusing is that I just read this post and sang the song to myself as I was reading it.... :(

I love doing my cache hunting at night and prefer it to day hunting.

I just can't stand all the spiders that come out and act as gatekeepers to the caches! Absolutely hate it. Doesn't help that a lot of them are huge black widows and other venomous (or venomous looking) spiders. Tarntulas are fine and I like the little guys, but I can't stand going through webs!

Weird, I know.