Loading on maps to garmin

ok i have had a gps for a year now and just bought Map update 2009 city navigator north america. Is this the right for garmin, and how do I load it on, with the cable to gps or sd card. (if i can find the other card that goes with the little one) Will this earase the geocaches I have already added. I have about fifty of them all put in by hand. I just don't want it to erase anything that I am not suposed to. I have a etrex legend hcx.

Maps can also be loaded with the microSD card directly connected to the computer.

It won't touch any other files on the card.

Geocaches are stored internally to the unit anyway so, no, they won't be erased.

Thanks iam not all that computer savy, I know enough. I was also afraid of overwiting anthing iam not supposed to. thanks.

ok I just tried loading up my GPS and it said it needed the previous Maps before this. I got the updater I thought that this would be the right one to up date my gps since I already have Map Source. The basic one that comes with the gps. This is Update 2009 City Navigator north america nt for garmin. What do I need to get before this one. I just spent 110$ dollars on it already. Can you download full road maps on to your gps from the garmin web site with out having to go run out and buy another disc. This it getting crazy. How many different ones are there out there. They all say updates.

Edited by zinnia123

The update versions require the previous version be present - so it is looking for City Nav 2008 or earlier. Interestingly - the prive of the full version is about the same.

MapSource® City Navigator North America v2008 Ok i ordered this on e-bay is this the right program to get fully loaded maps.? Or is this just another updater.

Be careful about mixing "City Navigator" and "City Navigator NT". I ran into this when I updated the maps on my 60csx. The two products use different compression models and an Upgrade version for one is NOT compatible with the other. I made the mistake of purchasing an NT upgrade when I had the non-NT product then had to buy the full NT version since that was the only one with a 2009 version that I could find.

The NT version compresses the data into less space so you can fit more onto your card but I find the NT version renders significantly slower on the 60csx than the non-NT version.

The unlock code is what Garmin sends you so you can read your maps on the GPS. You have connect your GPS to your computer, go to their website, enter the serial number of your unit, enter the product code of the map program you have, and they will unlock the maps for your device. If you don't do this, you will be able to load maps onto your GPS, but when you try to use them you will get a message saying your maps are not unlocked.

One thing I found out the hard way was is that when you unlock a map for your GPS, you can never, ever use it on another GPS. I purchased an Oregon 300 and City Navigator NT about three months ago, then just upgraded to a 550t. I could not transfer my license for the City Navigator NT to that unit, I had to buy another full copy. I guess that is how Garmin does business, they just don't make it very clear.

Should be ok to load on the PC - however, I am just not certain what issues you may face with an unlock code for your GPS unit.

What dose that mean unlock code for your gps? Sorry I not that savvy like i said before. How do you unlock them. :D

The unlock code is what Garmin sends you so you can read your maps on the GPS. You have connect your GPS to your computer, go to their website, enter the serial number of your unit, enter the product code of the map program you have, and they will unlock the maps for your device. If you don't do this, you will be able to load maps onto your GPS, but when you try to use them you will get a message saying your maps are not unlocked.

One thing I found out the hard way was is that when you unlock a map for your GPS, you can never, ever use it on another GPS. I purchased an Oregon 300 and City Navigator NT about three months ago, then just upgraded to a 550t. I could not transfer my license for the City Navigator NT to that unit, I had to buy another full copy. I guess that is how Garmin does business, they just don't make it very clear.

Should be ok to load on the PC - however, I am just not certain what issues you may face with an unlock code for your GPS unit.

What dose that mean unlock code for your gps? Sorry I not that savvy like i said before. How do you unlock them. :D

Thanks for that just another quick question where do you find the serial # on the gps. Thanks for all your input. and thanks for the tip on using city navigator nt. When looking for the correct program it is very confusing. I would love to know which ones you have added to your gps. :D

Be careful about mixing "City Navigator" and "City Navigator NT". I ran into this when I updated the maps on my 60csx. The two products use different compression models and an Upgrade version for one is NOT compatible with the other. I made the mistake of purchasing an NT upgrade when I had the non-NT product then had to buy the full NT version since that was the only one with a 2009 version that I could find.

The NT version compresses the data into less space so you can fit more onto your card but I find the NT version renders significantly slower on the 60csx than the non-NT version.

I had no idea that there were two NT and non NT version. Until now. Is the NT version for the car gps. . So totally confusing for someone who just wants to have detailed maps on their gps. thanks.

I had no idea that there were two NT and non NT version. Until now. Is the NT version for the car gps. . So totally confusing for someone who just wants to have detailed maps on their gps. thanks.

I don't think they offer the non-NT version anymore for the latest maps. Try going to the garmin maps update page (https://my.garmin.com/maps/updates.htm), connect your device and it should give you some update options for your device. For my 60csx my options were all the NT version - the only differences were lifetime (downloadable only) for 119.99 and onetime for 69.99 (downloadable or dvd).