New Way to Logout Trackables

wvtrainmann

:blink: We submitted the following idea to Geocaching.com but we were advised to post it here also. We would like to see what you think and get some responses and hopefully support our idea! So, here goes:

First I would like to say how much we have enjoyed Geocaching since we started last March. It has been one adventure after another. This year, we decided to contribute to the game by hiding caches and setting free some geocoins and travel bugs. We love getting all the emails when someone has found our caches or trackables!!! It is so exciting!

We have just one suggestion regarding the trackables -- perhaps add a small window at the bottom of the cache page so that while you're logging your "Found it" the small window will indicate which trackables are in the inventory and make it so that cachers can easily pick up a bug listed and not have to do the extra step that is required now. I think that this will dramatically reduce the amount of lost, misplaced, or incorrectly listed trackables. We just need to make the logging of retrieved trackables as easy to remove from the cache as it is to drop them in! I believe that the trackables will more likely be in their proper caches and logged correctly with this minor adjustment.

Logging retrieved trackables involves an extra step that so many cachers are not taking and trackables are getting physically moved, but not logged and consequently lost. When logging a cache entry, it is so easy to drop a trackable. Why can't you make it that easy to retrieve one?

We painstakingly keep up with our trackables and try to keep in touch with cachers who may be in possession of ours if we see that they haven't been moved for a while. We hope you will look into adding this feature to geocaching so that less trackables will be lost!

Happy Caching! J&J

wvtrainmann

:D

Just so that we can be certain the cacher really picked up the item - the interface would still have to require that we type in the "code" from the TB to pick it up. Overall I agree the process could be a little easier. However, I seriously doubt that the current multi-step process has much to do with missing TBs. Even with a clean new easy to use interface - I think the vast majority of TB problems will still occur.

Just so that we can be certain the cacher really picked up the item - the interface would still have to require that we type in the "code" from the TB to pick it up. Overall I agree the process could be a little easier. However, I seriously doubt that the current multi-step process has much to do with missing TBs. Even with a clean new easy to use interface - I think the vast majority of TB problems will still occur.

All that would require is an extra form field and a little AJAX to implement. eg. Select a TB, either in the page itself or a pop-up with a form box to type the code.

I think its an awesome idea. No more squinting to read a trackable number and no more typos when inputting the code (though I usually just c/p the code).

I bet a few trackables would be saved the indignity of becoming lost, only to show up in a random cache later on.

I can see this would be handy, but as mentioned before you need to type in the tracking number to ensure that you have actually seen the TB. Would this end bad TB locations, NO, but maybe cut down on them a little.

Yes, but hopefully you'll only need to enter it once instead of the current twice (which I've never understood. And yes, Firefox users... I am aware of the Greasemonkey script that fixes it)

I think it's a good idea with one more little addition. In the window where one is required to enter the bug's code, make it a double window with a field for entering a log which would be mandatory to enter something before the bug could be retrieved, just as it is now. That would cover BBWolf+3Pigs comment

I've only been geocaching a month but I remember it taking me a few minutes of searching the site, quite a few clicks, and more reading than it should have before I figured out exactly what I was supposed to do with trackables. I think the current trackables page has too much information at once, and the process for logging trackables is not intuitive. I would argue that it should blindingly obvious what to do with trackables when you come to the Geocaching site, and currently that isn't the case.

I've been following a dozen or so trackables that I've come across and I've seen a number of cases already where the cache log will say something like "grabbed such and such a coin", but the coin doesn't get removed from the inventory. A friend who recently started geocaching is trying to do all the right things but had no idea that he was supposed to record the pickup of a coin. He thought he was only supposed to do that when he dropped off the trackable.

So back to the original idea—yes, I think anything that makes it simpler and more obvious what you're supposed to do with the things would be a help. I think it's a great idea, providing that you have a field for adding log notes to the coin as well.

I really don't like the idea. When a traveler is dropped off, not log entry is required. As it works now, a person picking up a traveler has to type *something* in the log. With the proposed way, we won't even see that happen!

The problem is that when you drop off a TB, and want to say something, you have to edit your log. If it were required to enter something, the logs would be more interesting.

I retrieved this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum.

I entered its tracking number, 227669.

The thread was then in my inventory.

I helped this thread on its mission by dropping it off in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum.

Hopefully a Lackey will discover it before the thread goes missing.

I retrieved this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum.

I entered its tracking number, 227669.

The thread was then in my inventory.

I helped this thread on its mission by dropping it off in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum.

Hopefully a Lackey will discover it before the thread goes missing.

*snicker...*

:blink: We submitted the following idea to Geocaching.com but we were advised to post it here also. We would like to see what you think and get some responses and hopefully support our idea! So, here goes:

First I would like to say how much we have enjoyed Geocaching since we started last March. It has been one adventure after another. This year, we decided to contribute to the game by hiding caches and setting free some geocoins and travel bugs. We love getting all the emails when someone has found our caches or trackables!!! It is so exciting!

We have just one suggestion regarding the trackables -- perhaps add a small window at the bottom of the cache page so that while you're logging your "Found it" the small window will indicate which trackables are in the inventory and make it so that cachers can easily pick up a bug listed and not have to do the extra step that is required now. I think that this will dramatically reduce the amount of lost, misplaced, or incorrectly listed trackables. We just need to make the logging of retrieved trackables as easy to remove from the cache as it is to drop them in! I believe that the trackables will more likely be in their proper caches and logged correctly with this minor adjustment.

Logging retrieved trackables involves an extra step that so many cachers are not taking and trackables are getting physically moved, but not logged and consequently lost. When logging a cache entry, it is so easy to drop a trackable. Why can't you make it that easy to retrieve one?

We painstakingly keep up with our trackables and try to keep in touch with cachers who may be in possession of ours if we see that they haven't been moved for a while. We hope you will look into adding this feature to geocaching so that less trackables will be lost!

Happy Caching! J&J

wvtrainmann

:D

Nice idea. we have had many a talk like this with our uncle Michigan Cacheman about this vary subject. Also they should have an option of dipping the trackable too that would make it alot faster. Thanks for putting the idea out there.

Cachensfun

I think this could be a great little feature that just might make it a bit easier for the uninitiated to log their TB retrievals. Of course the tracking number should still be required, but having an option right there on the "found" log page would be as close to fool-proof as you can get. I'm all for it!

Edited to clarify the "found" page instead of the cache description page. When logging finds, I almost never reread the cache page unless the lameness factor was so incredibly high that I can't recall which cache it was that I'm logging.

Edited by Chumpo

The way I see it, this idea (or the variations of this idea) have some advantages over the current system:

* Makes moving trackabls much easier

* By extension, it will make the geocoin logs more complete and reliable

But it has a disadvantage:

* People be less likely to leave a log about the trackable when retrieving it.

If that disadvantage ca be dealt with in a graceful way then we have a winner.

Perhaps when the user selects to grab a trackable a new box is added below the cache log for the trackable log?

I think its an awesome idea. No more squinting to read a trackable number and no more typos when inputting the code (though I usually just c/p the code).

I bet a few trackables would be saved the indignity of becoming lost, only to show up in a random cache later on.

Actually, you should have to input the tracking number...otherwise it will be a free-for-all with people picking up the wrong bugs. Could be worse than what we currently have if you didn't have to enter the tracking number. :D

And I agree with what was said earlier...I don't believe the interface is the problem. People are just people...some of them pick up bugs, put them in their bag and never log them when they get home. If we're lucky, they find them months later and log them. If we're unlucky, they give up geocaching and the bugs are lost...forever! :blink:

The way I see it, this idea (or the variations of this idea) have some advantages over the current system:

* Makes moving trackabls much easier

* By extension, it will make the geocoin logs more complete and reliable

But it has a disadvantage:

* People be less likely to leave a log about the trackable when retrieving it.

If that disadvantage ca be dealt with in a graceful way then we have a winner.

Perhaps when the user selects to grab a trackable a new box is added below the cache log for the trackable log?

I have to aggree with the disadvantage, but think that they could use the same log as what was listed on the cache page. I am not sure that I would even want that solution, but it would be something.

The other option would be that when you recieve the cache log submitted page (whatever you want to call it), there would be a drop down window there to select a TB / coin and then it would take you to the TB/coin log page. It would be faster than a second window or tab just for trackables and then getting to the individual trackable page to click "Add a log entry" just to get to the same page that you could get to at the end of your cache log.... I don't have any suggestions about multiple trackable retrievals though...???

MYater

Edited by MYater

Any interface has to take into account that occasionally a cache will have hundreds of trackables (mainly events). This makes many of the proposals a lot more complicated.

A simple reminder underneath "upload a photo", linking to the trackables page, might help a little bit. But until we get an RFID in every trackable, and a reader in every GPSr, with automatic upload, we'll have problems with some people not taking the trouble to track. Some people obviously don't even read about trackables, but just move them to another cache. You can't force people to read.

Edward