How I got my lost Garmin back

I was out caching and it got away from me in the woods. Fell out of my backpack, I think. When I looked, I couldn't find it.

I wanted to put up a sign in the location I thought I'd lost it, but the park police wouldn't allow it. I thought it was gone forever. :P

After a couple of weeks, I got an email from someone who'd found it. :)

How?

I had put my name, phone number, and email address on the splash screen. (The screen that displays just after you start it up.)

If you haven't done it with your own GPS, do it now. It could save you hundreds of dollars.

Hey that's great news, glad you found it!

Mine fell out of my pocket too while I was out ATV trail riding. I didn't notice it has fallen out till I got back to camp (!) Luckily though I was able to re trace my path the next day and found it, on the 2ND pass (missed it the 1st time around). Ever since then I wonder if flat black is such a good color for a GPSr case :blink:

And yep I do have my name on the splash screen for just in case! It didn't help that time, but next time who knows!

I was out caching and it got away from me in the woods. Fell out of my backpack, I think. When I looked, I couldn't find it.

I wanted to put up a sign in the location I thought I'd lost it, but the park police wouldn't allow it. I thought it was gone forever. :blink:

After a couple of weeks, I got an email from someone who'd found it. :D

How?

I had put my name, phone number, and email address on the splash screen. (The screen that displays just after you start it up.)

If you haven't done it with your own GPS, do it now. It could save you hundreds of dollars.

i have my HOME set as a waypoint, with my name phone number, address etc. hopefully i never loose it.

i do like your idea of a SPLASH SCREEN, i'll have to see if mine can do that (Legend HCx).

After losing a 60CS in Switzerland (it is still there), I put hi res reflective tape on all sides of my 60CSx. If it goes missing, I can return at night with a BFL and hopefully pick up the reflective tape.

AND, I never trust the lanyard supplied by Garmin. I replaced it with a cord that won't break. Of course, I do not put the cord around my neck.

I wanted to put up a sign in the location I thought I'd lost it, but the park police wouldn't allow it. I thought it was gone forever. :blink:

After a couple of weeks, I got an email from someone who'd found it. :D

How?

i have my HOME set as a waypoint, with my name phone number, address etc. hopefully i never loose it.

i do like your idea of a SPLASH SCREEN, i'll have to see if mine can do that (Legend HCx).

And now they know where you live and with a couple of phone calls will know when you're out. That was my biggest fear when my GPS was stolen from the Jeep (later recovered because of an honest roommate).

Use your mobile phone and your email address. Meet someplace convenient not close to home.

I had put my contact info into the splash screen of my 60CSx when I got it, along with the line -Reward if found-

Something didn't set well with that, though, and I eventually changed it to read

-Reward if RETURNED-

:blink:

thankfully, I've never had to test its effectiveness

And now they know where you live and with a couple of phone calls will know when you're out. That was my biggest fear when my GPS was stolen from the Jeep (later recovered because of an honest roommate).

Use your mobile phone and your email address. Meet someplace convenient not close to home.

if people want to see if people are home or not, can't they just look them up in the phone book, get their address and call as well? :blink:

anyway, i'll change it to my cell number and email to be safe.

if people want to see if people are home or not, can't they just look them up in the phone book, get their address and call as well? :blink:

I have a motto when it comes to my family.

Don't be a victim and make it easy for them. Make them work for it.

if people want to see if people are home or not, can't they just look them up in the phone book, get their address and call as well? :D

whats a phonebook? Oh, that thing you look at in Vegas for, uh, oh yeah, what happens in......

Lost my old Blue Legend off the roof of my car, took the guy a couple hours to figure out how to turn it off, (push and hold button) when it came back on he called, met him, tried to give a reward, and he didn't want it, said it was his good deed for the day.

I had put my contact info into the splash screen of my 60CSx when I got it, along with the line -Reward if found-

Something didn't set well with that, though, and I eventually changed it to read

-Reward if RETURNED-

:D

thankfully, I've never had to test its effectiveness

My Colorado has my name, cell number, Email address and -Reward if Returned-

I figure there is no reason for someone to not return my unit unless they really want to keep it.

I am thinking of laser engraving it, if I buy the laser engraver I have my eye on.

I had a similar experience. I left my GPSr in a trail side outhouse and went back a few minutes later and it was gone. Only one couple was in the area. When I asked them about it, they denied seeing it. Well, the Next day the Police Dept. called and it was turned in to them. Because I had my cell # and e-mail on the Start up screen.

I think the fact that my Oregon batteries were really low and when you turned on the unit my name and info displayed and when you touched the screen it shut down... They may have thought it was a "Security" feature...

I had a similar experience. I left my GPSr in a trail side outhouse and went back a few minutes later and it was gone. Only one couple was in the area. When I asked them about it, they denied seeing it. Well, the Next day the Police Dept. called and it was turned in to them. Because I had my cell # and e-mail on the Start up screen.

I think the fact that my Oregon batteries were really low and when you turned on the unit my name and info displayed and when you touched the screen it shut down... They may have thought it was a "Security" feature...

I lost one while on vacation in England -- it seems to have disappeared sometime after I left it in a jacket while at an event and then went off to get something to drink . It was never turned in. After that, I learned to put my name and number on the splash screen or inside the battery cover -- and I use password protection with my email address on my gpsr/pda.

I asked Garmin about replacing the maps when I got a new unit. They told me that they might be able to help if I had a police report (which we did not get because it did not seem productive). So if one gets stolen it might be worthwhile to get the report.

Now if I could only find the prius key that I lost while at a movie the other night.

Edited by Erickson