Icon COINTEST!

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

When I came out with the Look Twice Geocoin, some suggestions were made to use my Avatar as the Icon for the coin, but I noted that I was saving it for a future Personal Coin...The time has come.

I may or may not use any of the ideas we see here. I've always had in mind just a shrunken, two color (B/W)version of exactly what you see as my avatar. I have seen some really amazing things done by some of you folks though, and have decided to see what you all can do with my Stamp. Here's a quote from the Groundspeak policy on Icons, so any entries will need to comply with the following...

Custom Coin Icons:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and Personal Coins.

2. The cost for a custom icon to be associated with your coins is a one time fee of $150. The icon design will need to be supplied to us in GIF format (non-animated) in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32

3. All icon submissions must be the property of the owner or used with the owners permission.

4. 50 code minimum order.

And here's a little background on the image, in case that lubricates any ideas...

My Avatar is a scanned image of the impression made by my personal rubber stamp. This stamp was made for me completely by hand from some leftover molding rubber. An old friend made it for me years before I had ever heard of Geocaching or Letterboxing(even before Geocaching existed). Ever since I've had the stamp, I've used it as a sort of personal trademark, on many different things that I have made over the years. It's been on my Artwork, Trading Cards, Profile Images, Notecards(on the back, where I sign them) and when I ever own a business, it will be incorporated into my Logo. Since it was made by hand, I have never felt the need to tidy up the rough edges, as they are part of the character, and slightly different each time I use the stamp.

The personal Coins I have designed will be Trackable, and available in Caches only(for the regular editions). No Sales, No Trades, No Gifts. They will all be set loose into Caches to travel, but will be available for adoption if you find one in the wild(and it has met some goals). There will be some limited versions for trades and gifts.

There will be ONE or TWO prizes awarded in this Cointest. One will be by Random Draw for all posts in the thread, and one will be awarded to the Designer of the chosen Icon(if I use one of the entries)The prize will be one of the limited versions of the personal Coin(The Coin design will remain secret until they are seen in the wild, or at Geocoinfest)(it's nothing fancy, but very personal)

Congrats on your new personal coin, I can't wait to see it! No icon entry from me as I think your avatar would make a perfect icon because of its personal meaning.

I love it for the icon too, I have seen some really jazzy images that have been posted, that all stay within the general idea and look of an original(the icons for the glass turtles come to mind) so basically I'm trying to see what people can do that stays with the simplicity of the Avatar, but maybe has some flair??

Congrats on your new personal coin, I can't wait to see it! No icon entry from me as I think your avatar would make a perfect icon because of its personal meaning.

I'm sorry to hear about all the trials on your trip. At least it will be one that you always remember?? Maybe it's time to explore and find a new lake? I wish the best for the dog, and no trouble getting them to cover the cost.

I'm sorry to hear about all the trials on your trip. At least it will be one that you always remember?? Maybe it's time to explore and find a new lake? I wish the best for the dog, and no trouble getting them to cover the cost.

Thanks. This will definitely be a trip we'll never forget. We thought last year was bad when someone set off a huge firework in the middle of our camp at 3am. My hubby and I have talked about making some changes, we'll have to see when it's time for us to plan next year.

Congrats on your new coin my friend!!!

I like your avantar too, to be the icon of your personal coin!!!

I do not know how to make icons, designs etc, but for the fun, I would say for an icon.... a truck like the one you are driving, and on the place where the cargo is to have your "R" avantar! It will look like the "R" is printed on the tent of the cargo area... I do not know how this will look in the small icon!

Here's a few ideas to get started. All four of them take your original avatar and add the Geocaching colors in some way...

Robert_GeoCoin_1.gif

This one simply takes the four geocaching colors and sets them as a backdrop for your avatar.

Robert_GeoCoin_2.gif

This one takes the four geocaching colors and sets them as a backdrop for your avatar, but adds a white background to letter R.

Robert_GeoCoin_3.gif

This one makes the R out of the geocaching colors, then outlines it in black for clarity.

Robert_GeoCoin_4.gif

This one cuts the R into the Geocaching pattern with a bit of 3D relief. I added purple to give it some pop.

If I have some time, I might play around a bit more with some of these.

Edited by Sharknose Bunnies

Hrm, it's difficult to come up with an icon without knowing more about the coin itself. So instead I made an icon based on what I know about you. :)

This icon is modeled after the front tire of a Swift truck.

writeshop.gif

I need to clean it up a bit, but wanted to find out if this is a direction you're interested in. If not, I'll try something else. :D

I had to go looking for this thread after finding some work I had done the day you launched this contest.

This isn't an icon -- it just won't scale down to 32x32, let alone 16x16. But I had fun making it, so I thought I'd share it. Do with it as you please. ;)

wsr01.jpg

I had to go looking for this thread after finding some work I had done the day you launched this contest.

This isn't an icon -- it just won't scale down to 32x32, let alone 16x16. But I had fun making it, so I thought I'd share it. Do with it as you please. ;)

wsr01.jpg

Try it with skinny letters, as they get chunky when they shrink down,!!!

Here's a few ideas to get started. All four of them take your original avatar and add the Geocaching colors in some way...

Robert_GeoCoin_1.gif

This one simply takes the four geocaching colors and sets them as a backdrop for your avatar.

Robert_GeoCoin_2.gif

This one takes the four geocaching colors and sets them as a backdrop for your avatar, but adds a white background to letter R.

Robert_GeoCoin_3.gif

This one makes the R out of the geocaching colors, then outlines it in black for clarity.

Robert_GeoCoin_4.gif

This one cuts the R into the Geocaching pattern with a bit of 3D relief. I added purple to give it some pop.

By random draw, these two posts were chosen as winners. Please send me a note with your address and a choice of Red, Green, or Blue. The prize coins will be sent after they arrive from the mint. Thank you all for your help and input.

Wow! I was away again for a couple of days and catching up on this forum when I noticed that this thread had some more posts in it. "Hey! I remember designing some icons for that. I wonder how it turned out..."

Thank you so much! Very generous of you to award both prizes. I'm looking forward to the coin. I'll send a PM in a couple of minutes. Thanks again!

EDIT: Sending an email instead of a PM.

Edited by Sharknose Bunnies

Robert_GeoCoin_1.gif

Robert_GeoCoin_2.gif

Robert_GeoCoin_3.gif

Robert_GeoCoin_4.gif

By random draw, these two posts were chosen as winners. Please send me a note with your address and a choice of Red, Green, or Blue. The prize coins will be sent after they arrive from the mint. Thank you all for your help and input.

Is there another color choice as well????

Robert_GeoCoin_1.gif

Robert_GeoCoin_2.gif

Robert_GeoCoin_3.gif

Robert_GeoCoin_4.gif

Is there another color choice as well????

Umm...Maybe??? But the prize coins will have to come from my trading stock, whick will be only yt Coinfest version...All the regular colors will be Drop In Cache only, so cannot use them as prizes. Do you know more than the rest of us(them)?

WooHoo, my order of Coins is being minted, and 250 of them are already activated...check out the mission of the coins to see how you'll get a chance to keep one of the RE versions. You can find them in my owned items list!

That's very generous of you. Will you be releasing them all while on your travels? Have you thought of mailing them to some of your friends to be released in other areas to which you might not be going?