Event Idea

JohnE5

I am considering making an Event Cache at a local dog park. A lot of cachers in this area have dogs and for the one's that don't we could have a couple GPS games. However, I have two questions.

1. Would this type of event be allowed?

2. The location is with .10 miles of other caches, would that keep the reviewer from publishing this event?

I am considering making an Event Cache at a local dog park. A lot of cachers in this area have dogs and for the one's that don't we could have a couple GPS games. However, I have two questions.

1. Would this type of event be allowed?

2. The location is with .10 miles of other caches, would that keep the reviewer from publishing this event?

1. Can't see why not if it met all other requirements and was open to all cachers and not only those of us with dogs.

2. .10 guideline only applies to physical caches. I have had two events where the cache was within 25 yards of the event.

Hmmm....let's see...

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers.

Check!

...an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Check!

Event caches should be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans.

Check!

Events are generally published no more than three months prior to the date of the event...

Check!

And what baloo&bd said about proximity to nearby caches (i.e. irrelevant to the Event submission).

Maybe I can borrow someone's dog for the day and attend :P

Good luck!

Edited by Touchstone

We had an event like that a couple months ago. The event was hosted by the cache owners dog and he invited all his friends to the event, they were allowed to bring their humans. Another cacher set out a number of camo'ed caches, some of which were, ah, in keeping with the event. You got a slip of paper with the co-ordinates of a cache. You had to find this cache and get a piece of paper out of the cache. Turns out there were two different colors and you had to find someone with the other color to get the co-ordinates of the final, since there was only the N or W co-ordinates. The final is where you picked up your raffle ticket. Great fun.

Jim