Introducing New Geocacher and New Geocoin

celticgeocacher

I reciently started a study on knot work. , celtic in style, for an upcomming coin, many moons down the road. ive bought a few books and find the art just amazing esp. the knot work making the cloths of the people wearing them. the knot work will take a long time to make it my own style, but i take a full intrest in the history and "how" to make the knots. im just floored at what can be from the knots and how they are set up and how each segment is equal to one another. i love how the arts twist in and out, regardless of the pic. it could be a beard on a man that the knots are made from or the main on a horse,, just amazing!!

Greetings,

has there been any progress recently concerning the coin. I do not want to miss the sale.

Hi geoquino - no news yet but I keep looking at my email for the OakCoins notice that they have sent the allotment to GeoSwag. GeoSwag has a tab for new coins I think and I expect it will be published there which is where you will buy your coin. Unless you miss the sale, of course, then you will end up buying it from a dealer on ebay like I usually have to do! Grrrrr! Stay on top of the GeoSwag listings-should be any day now. :blink:

Some of these coins are already on eBay. Did I miss anything?

Good question. :shocked:

CF30

Oops! Hope I didn't cause too much confusion. :( These coins on ebay are my ALE's and were minted specially per my request. Oakcoins/Geoswag will only be selling the antique silver and the satin gold and I have those on ebay as well - but wait and get them from Geoswag - probably cheaper! I've been checking the Geoswag site and don't see BOOK OF KELLS listed yet. Don't know what their holdup is because I got my coins a few days ago. I assume when Oakcoins shipped mine they also shipped Geoswag's but this is my first go at this and, since this is a "partnered" coin (meaning OakCoins paid for it), I have no control as to who sells what at what price on what site except the few that I have on ebay from time to time as "payment" for my design. All I know is that Geoswag is the retail outlet for Oakcoins and if you want to buy a coin that OakCoins owns (like mine) you have to buy it from Geoswag. Or buy from the dealers after the coin is sold out like I usually have to do! Maybe they need a bit more time to process their stock, photograph it and catalog it - they will be selling 250 of them after all. If anyone knows anything about this process - let me know!

AVROAIR??? HELP!!!!!!! :blink:

With apologies and in confusion,

Celticgeocacher

I love one of the versoins on ebay, but 10.50 USD shipping costs to the netherlands.... :shocked:

I'm a total newbie at this. I've noticed some prices to the Netherlands and other European countries at $5.50. Is that more like the shipping price? I'll pack one up and price it to your city to find out how much it actually costs (plus insurance and delivery confirmation)and get back to you. I used the ebay pricing wizard to find the price but it may be all wrong.

Celticgeocacher

I love one of the versoins on ebay, but 10.50 USD shipping costs to the netherlands.... :D

I'm a total newbie at this. I've noticed some prices to the Netherlands and other European countries at $5.50. Is that more like the shipping price? I'll pack one up and price it to your city to find out how much it actually costs (plus insurance and delivery confirmation)and get back to you. I used the ebay pricing wizard to find the price but it may be all wrong.

Celticgeocacher

It's probably the insurance and delivery confirmation that would make the shipping costs as high as 10.50 USD for one coin. I think most sellers send coins without insurance internationally. For myself I'd rather take a small risk than pay insurance costs/shipping costs that are almost as high as the cost of the sold item itself. I've been buying and trading a lot of coins for a year now and luckily never had anything missing during shipping :-)

I love one of the versoins on ebay, but 10.50 USD shipping costs to the netherlands.... :D

Celticgeocacher

It's probably the insurance and delivery confirmation that would make the shipping costs as high as 10.50 USD for one coin. I think most sellers send coins without insurance internationally. For myself I'd rather take a small risk than pay insurance costs/shipping costs that are almost as high as the cost of the sold item itself. I've been buying and trading a lot of coins for a year now and luckily never had anything missing during shipping :-)

You're right - its the delivery confirmation and insurance that are hiking the price up. The Bar Harbor PO tells me that they can send the coin to the Hague, Netherlands, First Class Parcel - no insurance, no confirmation for $3.12, for Flat Rate Priority - $12.95, and for insurance/confirmation on top of that - $15.00!

Celticgeocacher

You're right - its the delivery confirmation and insurance that are hiking the price up. The Bar Harbor PO tells me that they can send the coin to the Hague, Netherlands, First Class Parcel - no insurance, no confirmation for $3.12, for Flat Rate Priority - $12.95, and for insurance/confirmation on top of that - $15.00!

That would be great! As long as its not 10.50 usd ;-)

Have these gone on sale yet? Have I missed them?

Hi Saint -

No you haven't missed them. Apparently GeoSwag has other merchandise they wish to introduce before BOOK OF KELLS. They have them; maybe they'll bring them to Salt Lake City. The president of GeoSwag has been in China so there has been a slight delay for the introductory "bash" but they tell me it's coming. They have a "bash" where they introduce their new coins once a week so mine should be soon under the "preorder" listing. I begged. They asked me who "I" was and when I told them I was the designer I think they listened. Hang in there - not much longer I hope! lol :unsure:

celticgeocacher

Yep- but either Not in Stock yet or Sold Out already!! :signalviolin:

Look under presales, they're there. :sad:

Try adding it to your shopping cart...

We did.

We did what- Purchase some of them or add them to your cart?

We purchased one in the silver finish. They must have went really fast, we happened to be at the computer when Ceolmhor's post came up and also recieved an email from Geoswag. We're not usually that lucky!

Wow. I guess they really did sell out that quickly. I successfully ordered one of each finish at 11:09PM Monday (Mountain Time). They've now been removed from the Presales page.

I may sell one of mine. I don't intend to collect multiple finishes, and I think from the photos that I prefer the silver finish. However, I like the coin well enough that I decided to order one of each and keep the one i prefer when seen in person, as it were. We'll see.

I hope to find one of these on Ebay or somehwere else. I never did get a chance to see them listed on the site.

OK - Here's the story as I got it from Emma at Oakcoins. BOOK OF KELLS went on sale last night (I was looking at 10:00 p.m. Eastern and it wasn't on then) I looked again when I got up at 7:00 a.m. and it still wasn't on so I emailed Emma for the scoop.

The coin went on sale at approximately 9:00 p.m. Mountain and was sold out by approx. 5:00 a.m. Mountain so they took it off the presale page. I ordered 250 to be made but they only made 50 of each finish which probably explains why they sold out so fast. Emma said that it is a very expensive coin to make which is why they didn't make as many as they normally do. They will be making another run of 150-175 or so of the silver but will not do a remint of the satin gold. That's been "capped off" so for those of you who went for the gold it will probably be worth more. I am selling some of my "payment-in-kind" coins on ebay in funky finishes as well as the regular satin gold and antique silver that Geoswag sold.

Later, if the silver proves to "earn it's weight", they will be doing a remint in another metal - Emma suggested antique gold or copper and that will become the "official" BOOK OF KELLS edition. As it stands, the satin gold is listed as XLE and the antique silver as LE. Of course my weirdos are artist editions and are XLE as well.

That said it breaks my heart to hear that so many of you wanted a coin and didn't get one. I got into this business because I collect too and wanted to have a special coin of my own to trade for the gorgeous ones I could never afford. So - I have an idea. I have been in discussion with Scavok about his methods of coin production and they sound pretty good to me. He publishes his sketches on a forum thread and gets your feedback. Then he incorporates your suggestions and pays to have samples minted. He then takes pictures of the actual coin and opens his thread up to genuine preorders with a fair deadline. When everyone has had a chance to get their check off to him to cover their order he places the total order with the mint. The mint turn-around time is usually 2-3 weeks and voila! you are assured of having your coin. The main problem with that is honesty. I've heard some pretty grisly horror tales about dishonest coin designers/merchants and I don't want to get involved with any dishonest dealings (any more than scavok) but that seems to me to be the best way to have everybody that wants a coin to have one at a fair price. I am thinking about designing 3 more coins to make a Celtic set by possibly using the Lindisfarne Gospels, the Echternach Gospels, the Book of Durrow and a wonderful gold brooch as possible compliments to BOOK OF KELLS. I will hoard the money I receive from my BOOK OF KELLS ebay sales to pay for minting costs so that I can keep designing geocoins. Folks, this is addictive! :(

Let me know what you think of my idea and please accept my apologies for those of you that wanted a BOOK OF KELLS and don't have yours yet. My coin is owned by Oakcoins/Geoswag and there was nothing I could do about the decision. You may have to deal with a copper or antique gold one.

I would also like to thank everyone again for their good wishes for my return to health. I made it through all the treatments - been carved, poked, stabbed, poisoned and nuked and the docs say I've come through it pretty well. It's all that good, wholesome geocaching energy! Will be celebrating by attending my first Maine geocaching event in a few weeks. Yea!

celticgeocacher

PS by the way, I still can't afford the love of my coinhoarding life "Tranquility - Blue is My World in gold or silver" Sigh... Good health is wonderful but poverty stinks!

With recent threads and posts around here, I get the feeling that a lot of coin collectors cringe and back away quickly from any mention of a presale, specially from individuals or new unknown companies.

To me, reservations seem the better way to go. You put up the money for the mint but, you have a reservation period where people can say Yes! I want one! And you can stipulate (like CacheAddict does) that if not paid within a couple weeks of invoice being sent (once coins are in), that person will go on a black list, and not allowed to reserve coins from you again.

Just another idea to kick around. :(

With recent threads and posts around here, I get the feeling that a lot of coin collectors cringe and back away quickly from any mention of a presale, specially from individuals or new unknown companies.

To me, reservations seem the better way to go. You put up the money for the mint but, you have a reservation period where people can say Yes! I want one! And you can stipulate (like CacheAddict does) that if not paid within a couple weeks of invoice being sent (once coins are in), that person will go on a black list, and not allowed to reserve coins from you again.

Just another idea to kick around. :(

I disagree coin reservations are the worst way to go. Many people say 'oooo i want it' then don't pay up. That has been my experience with 3 coins I sold personally. Never again.

I prefer sales in hand or pre-order (with a well recognized reputable coin vendor who can handle that stress).

Just another idea to kick around. :)

I disagree coin reservations are the worst way to go. Many people say 'oooo i want it' then don't pay up. That has been my experience with 3 coins I sold personally. Never again.

I prefer sales in hand or pre-order (with a well recognized reputable coin vendor who can handle that stress).

I was saying reservations seemed the better way to go from a buyer's point of view, not from the coin seller's point of view. I haven't made any coins, and probably never will. I can't afford it, and I know my husband would have a literal cow. LOL Presales from a reputable source would be fine, and I'd buy that way.

All in all, there's no one true perfect way for everyone. :(

I'm yet to have an issue with a presale other than a mint error that delays things (keep a disclaimer if you go this way :( ). And yes, there are a lot of people who have been unjustly screwed over in a presale before (and agreeably have the right to be wary), but they will probably be the ones who are willing to trust ebay at inflated prices over a fellow geocacher and great coiner at that :)

I never even got to see these on the sale page. Can't wait to see them somewhere a little more attainable!

Four of these are for sale now on eBay, by RiverCacher, whose photos show off the coin really well. This coin is positively extraordinary. Congratulations, Celticgeocacher/artnut. :rolleyes:

I don't know if this link will work outside my session, but it's worth a try (can't seem to enter it as a link, so you'll have to copy/paste):

http://shop.ebay.com/rivercacher/m.html?_n...p;_trksid=p4340

Rudy

Here's the latest and final word on BOOK OF KELLS.

A reorder is at the mint and will take approximately 3-4 weeks to arrive. In addition to the 175 antique silver there will be an "official" edition of antique gold with the antique silver enamel combination. After that they will mint no more. Rivercacher's offering on ebay went for$26 or so which isn't too bad. Keep a lookout on the Geoswag presale page. ... :) ...

Hi,

My name is Emma and I work for Oakcoins/Geoswag. I've been working with celticgeocacher on this Book of Kells coin. We now have the antique silver LEs available. They are limited to 175 pcs (including the first 50 that are already sold) so I don't expect they will last long!

We also have a Special Edition nickel with antique gold 2-tone version available but no pic of that one yet. It has the same enamel colors as the LE just different metals. Only 200 of the SE were made and this version will not be re-minted.

You can get them on the presales page or on this link:

Book of Kells Geocoin

geocoin_bookofkelis_AS.jpg

The RE will be the antique gold with nickel 2-tone that celticgeocacher mentioned in a previous post. That one will be available on Geoswag.com in about 4 weeks. I know - it's been a long time coming! I will post a link here when it is available. It will be listed at $9.97 and the number of the REs is not limited.

In my previous post, I should have said, nickel w/ antique gold SE. :)

Following is what I understand to be the breakdown of all current & future versions (please update and correct this list).

Antique Gold w/ Nickel 2-Tone RE

Nickel w/ Antique Gold SE (200)

Antique Silver LE (175)

Satin Gold XLE or AE (?)

Following is what I understand to be the breakdown of all current & future versions (please update and correct this list).

Antique Silver LE (175)

Satin Gold XLE or AE (?)

I have an antique silver/copper version without enamel and polished copper without enamel.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2569153

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2569133

Antique Silver LE (175)

Satin Gold XLE or AE (?)

I have an antique silver/copper version without enamel and polished copper without enamel.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2569153

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2569133

Wow! Those pics look great. I love copper. In the case of this coin, I would have loved to have gotten the Satin Gold version with enamel (my favorite) but I missed out on that. Sure am glad I caught the remint! :)