Introducing New Geocacher and New Geocoin

celticgeocacher

Hi,

I am fairly new to geocaching but I'd like to introduce myself on the forums. I live in Bar Harbor, Maine and was just learning to add geocaching to my regular Acadia hiking and biking activities when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My geocaching handle is "artnut" where my meager finds are logged.

My first find in genuine Downeast Maine drizzle!

Picture023.jpg

I had also started to design my own personal geocoin in honor of that exquisite spiritual and aesthetic Celtic work of art the Book of Kells. I am an art history teacher with a profound appreciation of the Celtic visual and spiritual traditions as well as the wonderful legends and the cultural strength that have enlivened all Celtic derivative cultures for centuries, Irish of course, but Scots, Welsh, Cornish, Manx, Breton and many others.

The Book of Kells is the most delicately and profusely illustrated manuscript in all the Celtic ovure and depicts the more-or-less complete works of the synoptic gospels that exists in the Celto-Saxon style. Tradition has it that it was illustrated primarily by one monk, St. Columba, in the insular style of Northern Britain and Ireland around 800 AD. It is said to have originated in the scriptorium in the Abby of Kells from whence it got its name and from where it was plundered a number of times - its splendid jewel-encrusted gold cover lost forever. Over many years the manuscript was stolen, buried and stolen again but with the dissolution of the Abby what remained of the text eventually was collected by the Archbishop of Ussher. Later, Charles II bought it at auction and presented it to Ussher's alma mater, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland where it remains on display. Today the Book of Kells stands as a symbol of Irish spirituality and rich cultural heritage. Many Irish families have their own exact copy occupying a venerated place in their home.

As with many Art History lectures, this got a bit out of hand but for those of you who are unfamiliar with the exciting history of Ireland, Scotland and the many other Celtic-speaking peoples and their relationship to Celtic treasure; golden, cultural and aesthetic, I hope this meager background gives you an additional enjoyment of my coin.

Through my health trials the folks at OakCoins worked with me to create my own simple interpretation of the Book of Kells. On the front is the center right roundel of Fol. 29R - "The Opening Words of St. Matthew's Gospel" in more-or-less the original colors. The back of the coin features a viking-style dragon with typical Celtic knotwork and other Celtic ornamentation. Dragons were part of the Book of Kells imagery but I chose the Viking dragon to symbolize the sea raiders and their terror. Monasteries were easy prey for the Viking longships between 800 and ~1100 AD. Vikings raided these quiet unguarded spiritual centers like the Kells Monastery for gold, silver and gems and their fierce treatment of the monks was legendary.

The coin is 2" in diameter in satin gold, two-toned with 3-D on both sides. It's a heavy coin with both opaque and transparent enamels, trackable on geocaching.com, with its own icon and the dragon has a small stone in it's eye. I owe Emma at OakCoins a deep debt of gratitude for staying with me through surgeries, chemo and revision after revision. I also owe Scavok and Avroair my heartfelt thanks for the support they gave me during the various stages of the Book of Kells and for their good wishes for my recovery - thanks, guys! Yes Mark, you have your dragon and your stone.

Let me know what you think of my work :P and please add or correct anything Celtic, Viking or Monastic that is in error. Also feel free to ask questions. For instance: Why did the Vikings terrorize monasteries only between 800 AD and ~1100 AD? Answer: Oceangoing longboats weren't commonly used much before 800 AD and by ~1100 AD to some extent the Vikings began to be absorbed by Christian culture, to some extent they were forced to convert and to some extent they began to relate to the suffering and crucifixion of Christ.

Enjoy!

Celticgeocacher

My mom became a calligrapher about halfway through her life, and as a kid I remember her studies of the Book of Kells (while she was learning Uncial) very, very well. If I recall correctly, I spent the time period learning how to layout and illustrate Celtic knotwork (inspired by the BoK), so I'd be very interested in seeing the artwork as well (and am very interested in the coin).

Plus, Maine is where Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain comes from, so it's very cool! ; )

There are two metals pictured (the two samples OakCoins sent me from the mint) but I am choosing the satin gold because I think it's prettier. I think the silver is too dark and dingy looking. I worked on both sides of the coin to make them equally dramatic. I Realize some designers keep the back rather simple but I take it as more of an opportunity to design!

6N-01828SFront.jpg

6N-01828SBack.jpg

Sorry I wasn't familiar enough with the technology to add both coin pictures to the original post but I'm getting up to snuff.

Wow! two comments already and you are so nice. Thank you. For the calligrapher - I bet you can do designs like these in your sleep!

Thanks,

Celticgeocacher

Wow! I REALLY like your coin! Both are nice but I like the silver one too! It looks like antique silver and I think it's wonderful...nothing saying you can't do a bit of both...:P But don't mind me, I tend to favour the silver finishes.

Can't wait till they go on sale!

Great looking Coins! I see that you are very grateful to all your helpers, for sticking with you through the process even while you dealt with your sickness. I would say that Congratulations are in order, to YOU, for doing the same. I can't imagine how hard it must have been at times to keep working on this, even with so much more at stake. Congratulations all around!!

There are two metals pictured (the two samples OakCoins sent me from the mint) but I am choosing the satin gold because I think it's prettier. I think the silver is too dark and dingy looking. I worked on both sides of the coin to make them equally dramatic. I Realize some designers keep the back rather simple but I take it as more of an opportunity to design!

6N-01828SFront.jpg

6N-01828SBack.jpg

Sorry I wasn't familiar enough with the technology to add both coin pictures to the original post but I'm getting up to snuff.

Wow! two comments already and you are so nice. Thank you. For the calligrapher - I bet you can do designs like these in your sleep!

Thanks,

Celticgeocacher

VERY VERY VERY NICE WORK!!! I DESIGN MYSELF AND AM INSPIRED BY YOUR KNOT WORK ON YOUR COIN,, THANK YOU FOR THAT.

Very nice - I would be interested in one of these.

Our local library has a copy of the Book of Kells (and of course a docent to turn the page every so often). The programs they have sponsored have been very interesting, and one of the programs taught me how to draw knotwork, but I am not very good at it.

Additionally, this weekend there was a huge Celtic festival in our city, and we spent much time there enjoying the music and the culture. I found an icon that I am so in love with, and I want to make a coin featuring it, and I don't think it has been done before.

Anyway, please keep me informed on the progress of this coin, and how to get a hold of one!!

Thanks folks for all your kind thoughts and good advice. I didn't know so many of you would like the silver - and it is antique silver. I may have to change my mind and order some in silver - it really doesn't look THAT dingy. Because this is my first coin and I wasn't sure how well I'd do, I only ordered 250 of them from GeoSwag. They will be handling the presale but I don't know when that will be because I have just discovered a SNAFU in the knotwork on the back side. It may have to be re-minted. The Groundspeak tracking number, by the way, is on the side of the coin so the design is full sided except for the title.

Edited by celticgeocacher

Great work, having the blood of Celts running through our veins we are most appreciative. I would like to trade yours for our, and of course I will be buying if there's no trade to be had. We wish you well.

Glad to hear from the culture born that I done good! I wished to honor the Celtic culture and so maybe got a bit carried away with the introduction. Nothing wrong with a little Art History now and again especially when people need to be exposed to ancient cultures.

Oh my....Hollora just alerted me to your new coin and it looks terrific!!! I'm in Ellsworth and would come to pick them up if/when you put them up for sale. If you'd rather, could also trade coins, your choice. Once again, you've done a great job.

I'm also a cancer survivor and ditto Hollora's invitation to join us at next year's Relay For Life fundraiser for the American Cancer Society right here in Ellsworth. Even if it's for the "Survivor's Lap" (first lap after opening ceremony) we'd love to have you. Keep me posted on the status of your coins.....I'd love to purchase one when they arrive!

EMSDanel

6N-01828SFront.jpg

6N-01828SBack.jpg

Thanks,

Celticgeocacher

Wow, what a beautiful coin!! I love designs with celtic elements. And I also hope you will mint both metals, because I think the silver one looks best :blink:

This is a really nice piece of artwork! Congratulations.

I was visiting Dublin with my family a couple of months ago, and we also visited Trinity College where we were able to learn a lot about the Book of Kells (how it was made, the symbols in there, etc) and we loved everything. Because of this (and of course because the geocoin is so nice) I will certainly be looking to add one of those to my collection - both versions :blink: I will buy it or I can trade (maybe for some Portuguese geocoin?).

Thanks and good luck!

Antonio

As I'm originally from Cornwall, live in Wales and have relatives in N. Ireland, I'd be interested in having one of these coins.

Just for your interest, the 2008 Cornwall geocoin and the Isle of Man geocoin both used nice examples of Celtic knotwork in their designs. MrsB.

293dc156-e46a-404e-9ca7-e7a07b6612b5.jpg

dad786f2-bacb-4e32-967e-1fef5845e5a0.jpg

Hi MrsB.

Thanks for your input and the samples of your coin(s). I've been thinking of adding the Isle of Man to my trader list. Yes, the knotwork is wonderful on both sides of both coins - just what I would expect from the "Real McCoy" as it were. A branch of my family is from Scotland so I am on the lookout for things Celtish and Scottish. The rest of my family is Welsh and English. The Welsh are fine - got my singing voice from that branch but the English? Stiff upper lip?

I'll keep you all posted when I know more about availability of the Book of Kells coin.

Celticgeocacher

Thanks to you all for your wonderful support!

The latest from OakCoins is that they will not be re-minting the back side of the Book of Kells because the glitch is so small. This is good news because it means the coin will be available sooner. I still don't know when yet but surely within the next month. Both the satin gold and the antique silver will be available but of the 250 coins to be minted I'm not sure of the percentages. Also, if the response is overwhelming they will be doing a re-mint with maybe other metals.

Stay tuned!

celticgeocacher

Hi,

I am fairly new to geocaching but I'd like to introduce myself on the forums. I live in Bar Harbor, Maine and was just learning to add geocaching to my regular Acadia hiking and biking activities when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My geocaching handle is "artnut" where my meager finds are logged.

My first find in genuine Downeast Maine drizzle!

Picture023.jpg

I had also started to design my own personal geocoin in honor of that exquisite spiritual and aesthetic Celtic work of art the Book of Kells. I am an art history teacher with a profound appreciation of the Celtic visual and spiritual traditions as well as the wonderful legends and the cultural strength that have enlivened all Celtic derivative cultures for centuries, Irish of course, but Scots, Welsh, Cornish, Manx, Breton and many others.

The Book of Kells is the most delicately and profusely illustrated manuscript in all the Celtic ovure and depicts the more-or-less complete works of the synoptic gospels that exists in the Celto-Saxon style. Tradition has it that it was illustrated primarily by one monk, St. Columba, in the insular style of Northern Britain and Ireland around 800 AD. It is said to have originated in the scriptorium in the Abby of Kells from whence it got its name and from where it was plundered a number of times - its splendid jewel-encrusted gold cover lost forever. Over many years the manuscript was stolen, buried and stolen again but with the dissolution of the Abby what remained of the text eventually was collected by the Archbishop of Ussher. Later, Charles II bought it at auction and presented it to Ussher's alma mater, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland where it remains on display. Today the Book of Kells stands as a symbol of Irish spirituality and rich cultural heritage. Many Irish families have their own exact copy occupying a venerated place in their home.

As with many Art History lectures, this got a bit out of hand but for those of you who are unfamiliar with the exciting history of Ireland, Scotland and the many other Celtic-speaking peoples and their relationship to Celtic treasure; golden, cultural and aesthetic, I hope this meager background gives you an additional enjoyment of my coin.

Through my health trials the folks at OakCoins worked with me to create my own simple interpretation of the Book of Kells. On the front is the center right roundel of Fol. 29R - "The Opening Words of St. Matthew's Gospel" in more-or-less the original colors. The back of the coin features a viking-style dragon with typical Celtic knotwork and other Celtic ornamentation. Dragons were part of the Book of Kells imagery but I chose the Viking dragon to symbolize the sea raiders and their terror. Monasteries were easy prey for the Viking longships between 800 and ~1100 AD. Vikings raided these quiet unguarded spiritual centers like the Kells Monastery for gold, silver and gems and their fierce treatment of the monks was legendary.

The coin is 2" in diameter in satin gold, two-toned with 2-D on both sides. It's a heavy coin with both opaque and transparent enamels, trackable on geocaching.com, with its own icon and the dragon has a small stone in it's eye. I owe Emma at OakCoins a deep debt of gratitude for staying with me through surgeries, chemo and revision after revision. I also owe Scavok and Avroair my heartfelt thanks for the support they gave me during the various stages of the Book of Kells and for their good wishes for my recovery - thanks, guys! Yes Mark, you have your dragon and your stone.

Let me know what you think of my work :blink: and please add or correct anything Celtic, Viking or Monastic that is in error. Also feel free to ask questions. For instance: Why did the Vikings terrorize monasteries only between 800 AD and ~1100 AD? Answer: Oceangoing longboats weren't commonly used much before 800 AD and by ~1100 AD to some extent the Vikings began to be absorbed by Christian culture, to some extent they were forced to convert and to some extent they began to relate to the suffering and crucifixion of Christ.

Enjoy!

Celticgeocacher

I think I just figured out why I love the design of this coin. It looks like it use both hard and soft enamel, that is just a great idea! That works awesome on the face where the letters (?) are soft and the outer is hard. And if not, well maybe I just like it because I like it :blink: Great work.

And I agree with you on Oakcoins, Sarah helped me greatly with my first coin, I'd be lost without her.

Just keeping you updated on the recent sale info -

OakCoins has decided to re-mint. I don't know what this is going to do to the production schedule but I hope it won't throw it off by too many weeks. They have the new artwork back from the mint and have given the OK so it shouldn't be too long. That means that you will be buying a flawless coin rather than one that has an outer knot missing. This is good news. :rolleyes:

celticgeocacher