Newbie WTB Inexpensive Unit (<$50-75)

I am looking to take up geocaching as a sport that I can do with my Australian Shepherd Tonka. Tonka has been competing in dog agility & herding (sheep) for 4 years, but has had to be pulled from these activities due to brain damage he sustained during epileptic seizures last December.

I'm hoping that geocaching is something we can do together to give him something to wear off his abundant energy (he's only 6), cuz he's drivin' us both crazy! Unfortunately, I live in MI & my employer just gave us a 10% wage cut, so I have almost no $ for a GPS unit.

Is there someone who might have a cheap intro unit you'd be willing to sell to me? I'm a computer analyst, so something that can interact with my laptop would be great. I've heard great things about Garmin ETrex units, but am open to other units if they'll do the job.

Then, I can see if: (1) Tonka enjoys the sport; (2) I enjoy the sport. If so, I'll save up for a more expensive unit, or ask for one for CMas.

Thanks in advance,

Colliegurl :P

================

Bath/Higgins Lake, MI

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole." [Roger Caras]

colliegurl5@gmail.com

I am looking to take up geocaching as a sport that I can do with my Australian Shepherd Tonka. Tonka has been competing in dog agility & herding (sheep) for 4 years, but has had to be pulled from these activities due to brain damage he sustained during epileptic seizures last December.

I'm hoping that geocaching is something we can do together to give him something to wear off his abundant energy (he's only 6), cuz he's drivin' us both crazy! Unfortunately, I live in MI & my employer just gave us a 10% wage cut, so I have almost no $ for a GPS unit.

Is there someone who might have a cheap intro unit you'd be willing to sell to me? I'm a computer analyst, so something that can interact with my laptop would be great. I've heard great things about Garmin ETrex units, but am open to other units if they'll do the job.

Then, I can see if: (1) Tonka enjoys the sport; (2) I enjoy the sport. If so, I'll save up for a more expensive unit, or ask for one for CMas.

Thanks in advance,

================

Bath/Higgins Lake, MI

colliegurl5@gmail.com

You might want to check out this new GPS: http://geomatejr.com/

Maybe you can even teach him to sniff out tupperware and ammo cans,how cool would that be?

Edited by Haffy

Thanks in advance,

================

Bath/Higgins Lake, MI

colliegurl5@gmail.com

You might want to check out this new GPS: http://geomatejr.com/

Maybe you can even teach him to sniff out tupperware and ammo cans,how cool would that be?

Great! Thanks!

Colliegurl :)

I have a good condition used Garmin eTrex Legend that I am looking to sell for $75. It comes with a USB converter cable so you can connect it to your computer and has a warranty. I started out using the eTrex and think that is a great entry GPS. If you want to connect to the computer I would go with this instead of the Geomate JR because from what I understand the only way you can edit the Geocache waypoints on the Geomate JR is if you pay extra for an update pack which may not give you the connectivty you desire.

For more information on it click on this post.

Also, I have geocached my dog and he has enjoyed it. I am still working on trying to get him to sniff out the geocaches. He has found the cache before me a few times, but most of the time he has no clue what I am wanting him to do.