Scottish Caches

On my way over to Scotland at the end of August and looking for some recommendations for caches to find. Most of our time will be spent north of Inverness, so plan to systematically find as many caches as possible up there, but looking for ideas for the drive up from Glasgow and back. Our likely route north will be along Loch Lomond-Fort William-Loch Ness-Inverness, and on the way south-bound taking the A9. The way north we'll have just got off an over night flight, so looking for quick easy caches that won't add too much extra time to the 5 hr drive, but would give my cousin a great taste of the Scottish countryside (I'm a many time visitor) The way back down will be a bit more leisurely, so looking for creative/imaginative hides as well as seeing anything a bit different that a tourist might pass by.

Spending a couple nights in Glasgow and Edinburgh, so a few must-finds there would be great too.

Just south of Fort William, which is a lovely drive from Inverness,

GCJ3TZ Death of Power.

Without a doubt my favourite cache of all time. It will take you a day between the drive and the walk, but one you wont ever forget.

That looks like a fantastic cache. I've never heard of the Blackwater Reservoir until I looked at this cache and then just 30 minutes later I see it and the graveyard featured on Griff Rhys-Jones's River programme. How strange.

I went to Thurso and Wick back in April, and found that the cache density north of Inverness is very sparse indeed, so you won't get much in the way of numbers, but the ones that are around are of pretty good quality.

As I was travelling by train, and there are only four trains a day from Inverness to Wick and back, I was limited in where I could go and the number of stopovers I could make, but I had to include Transect Line, which is one of the best caches I've done. It's about four miles from Altnabreac, one of the most isolated railway stations in the UK, and I loved it - beautiful walking in an area almost entirely devoid of humans (but I did acquire a dog).

Haven't really done any more in the area, but wherever you go, it's gorgeous, so enjoy yourself...

Lee

Just south of Fort William, which is a lovely drive from Inverness,

GCJ3TZ Death of Power.

Without a doubt my favourite cache of all time. It will take you a day between the drive and the walk, but one you wont ever forget.

That looks like a fantastic cache. I've never heard of the Blackwater Reservoir until I looked at this cache and then just 30 minutes later I see it and the graveyard featured on Griff Rhys-Jones's River programme. How strange.

ooohh.....can you give me more details and ill try and watch it on iplayer or something.... :)

If you're in Edinburgh there are two (and probably more) great multi caches as you come down the Royal Mile (start at the castle and work down). They're a great way to see the main tourist bit of Edinburgh, read a bit of the history and find two caches.

Father to Jekyll & Hyde (GC196YK) has a decent size cache to find. If you are planning on going up Arthur's Seat (there's an Earthcache at the top) it's worth working out the final co-ords for this first...

Edinburgh's Royal Mile (GCKTYK) is a micro but the stages of the multi contain loads of history so it's really interesting.

If you are planning on going up Arthur's Seat (there's an Earthcache at the top) it's worth working out the final co-ords for this first...

That's my cache, what do you mean? You go to the listed co-ords, take a picture which you upload with your log and send me an email with your educational answer. If you have no camera then you have to email me the printed co-ords on the information point, which are wrong. No need to work out anything other than your route before going!!!

If you are planning on going up Arthur's Seat (there's an Earthcache at the top) it's worth working out the final co-ords for this first...

That's my cache, what do you mean? You go to the listed co-ords, take a picture which you upload with your log and send me an email with your educational answer. If you have no camera then you have to email me the printed co-ords on the information point, which are wrong. No need to work out anything other than your route before going!!!

Father to Jekyll & Hyde (GC196YK) has a decent size cache to find. If you are planning on going up Arthur's Seat (there's an Earthcache at the top) it's worth working out the final co-ords for this first...

I took this to mean get the final co ords of the multi cache before doing the earthcache ??

edit to add full quote

Edited by markandlynn

I took this to mean get the final co ords of the multi cache before doing the earthcache ??

edit to add full quote

Perhaps you are right, the full stop after the word find had made me think it was just Arthur's Seat that the comment was aimed at. Happy to be proved wrong on this occasion. :lol:

Sorry not the best wording! MarkandLynn are right I did mean get the final co-ords for the Father to Jekyll & Hyde cache before heading up Arthur's Seat - otherwise you might find yourself going around in circles!

The Arthur's Seat cache is brilliant as well and, as Haggis Hunter says, it's not a multi. Sorry for any confusion! It would be worth treking up to the top of Arthur's Seat even if it didn't have a cache though as it's a fabulous view. Having said that I'd probably have never made it up there without the added incentive so thanks HH!